Request for Comments: Advertising on wesnoth.org

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

freim wrote:I think we shouldn't consider advertisement before exhausting all relevant options for free hosting.
I think they've already been "exhausted". Have you ever noticed how slow and unstable is the 1.2 campaign server?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I have never been using Google adsense myself but I heard from others it's rather easy to handle and you can make pretty good money from it. Adsense are also the only adds I don't find annoying.

PS: I don't work for Google :wink:
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Shadow Master wrote: I think they've already been "exhausted". Have you ever noticed how slow and unstable is the 1.2 campaign server?
That's because the wesnoth server and the campaign server isn't scaling very well and are unstable and unreliable. To fix that you need to fix the server code, moving it to a funded host will not fix these issues. Rewriting the server code to be more robust and scale better is the correct solution here, not throw hardware at the problem.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

I think we should advertise things that help the game in funds, like the T-shirt thing. Thats probably going to raise more funds then getting a Beserker to drink coke :lol: becuase people might want to get those shirts, and that'll get more people, and some of those people will donate, giving us money from the guy with the T-shirt for buying it, and dotation money.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

We shouldn't advertise if the goal is to get money with no more thought to it than that.

If we have a specific need, like if we lost our free hosting and found no other suitable free hosting then we should consider advertising to fund this spesific thing.

IMO, just trying to get money with no clear goals will only poison the spirit and intent of a open source project.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Not sure about that. DOSBox is an open source project and already has a donation button. Not much difference to Adsense ads for me. :P
What about the Linux Kernel page, by the way?
freim wrote:
Shadow Master wrote: I think they've already been "exhausted". Have you ever noticed how slow and unstable is the 1.2 campaign server?
That's because the wesnoth server and the campaign server isn't scaling very well and are unstable and unreliable. To fix that you need to fix the server code, moving it to a funded host will not fix these issues. Rewriting the server code to be more robust and scale better is the correct solution here, not throw hardware at the problem.
How do you explain the slowness then? With this kind of things every download-a-byte cycle:

Code: Select all

for (i = 0; i < 1000000; i++);
or perhaps:

Sleep(10000);
(Sleep() is provided by Win32 Kernel API; a similar one is provided by Allegro and I'm pretty sure SDL also has it.)

BTW, what's this scaling business?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

what about this?

Sell the actual version in a cd. with contain both development and stable version. And the better eras or map packs. Some projects do that.

http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/cPa ... cts_id/95ç

Wesnoth is included in that cd... (who knows what version) and in 3d games, lol.
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Shadow Master wrote:
freim wrote: That's because the wesnoth server and the campaign server isn't scaling very well and are unstable and unreliable. To fix that you need to fix the server code, moving it to a funded host will not fix these issues. Rewriting the server code to be more robust and scale better is the correct solution here, not throw hardware at the problem.
How do you explain the slowness then? With this kind of things every download-a-byte cycle:

for (i = 0; i < 1000000; i++);
or perhaps:

Sleep(10000);
Do you know what a software bug is? :roll:

Regardless of what you think campaignd and wesnothd are currently being rewritten.

Keep trolling to the Off-Topic forum please.

PS: I fully agree with freim, btw. I don't see a real need for advertising atm.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

freim wrote:We shouldn't advertise if the goal is to get money with no more thought to it than that.

If we have a specific need, like if we lost our free hosting and found no other suitable free hosting then we should consider advertising to fund this spesific thing.

IMO, just trying to get money with no clear goals will only poison the spirit and intent of a open source project.
Exactly.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Saving a small reserve for bad times I can't see poison at all.
If the free hosting runs out somebody must pay for a new one in the meantime if he is even willing to do. With this reserve the gap could be bridged and the person could get his costs back it is not like Wesnoth gets transformed into closed source.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

If were advertising, were getting money anyway, so why not make it help fund the game more?
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Edward V Riley

Ads

Post by Edward V Riley »

Yes, I tend to agree with the majority of people who have posted. Advertising is ok, as long as it isn't obtrusive.

I've only recently discovered this excellent game, and after immediately falling in love(I live for TBS, my eyesight isn't good enough for RTS, plus...I prefer TBS), I want it to stick around. Once I get my bearings, I may help others or make my own campaigns. Advertising on the site will insure that it stays.

Didn't even realize two of my old favorite Sega Genesis games are closely related to the developers of Wesnoth, Warsong and Master of Monsters. I've lost track of the number of hours spent on those games.

??? Idea. Advertising for other Strategy or RPG games would actually be kind of welcome and certaintly wouldn't intrude. Even other gaming sites. It's always hard to find ANY advertising for those types of games in the U.S. It's always sports or action(yawn).
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

Ads are ok. As long as there isn't as many ads as Hotmail or Mail.com and that the ads advertise things which are somehow Wesnoth-related rather than random sleaze.

I notice the ads above. I'm happy with them. As long as they give a reasonable amount of revenue for the minor annoyance they cause.
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

freim wrote:We shouldn't advertise if the goal is to get money with no more thought to it than that.

I completely agree with this, ads for the sake of ads are bad.

In another open source project we have about 50$ from donations, but still, by now I think it was a bad idea to ask for donations just because SF provided that donations button. The people volunteering to handle paypal and the ones who donated money now think it was wasted, and others blame who's bad idea it was to set up the donations button in the first place, others have unrealistic ideas what you can do with 50$... :P So that's just as an example, even with such a small sum, while not exactly poisoning, it still has no positive effect.

With Wesnoth, things are different of course, it's a much bigger project, and may actually need money for better servers - but best to make a list of what/how much exactly is needed before starting with ads.
Laudimir

Post by Laudimir »

I think Ads are more than acceptable. It wouldn't bother me at all if the devs just wanted to line their wallets a bit for the hardwork they are doing.

And, it sounds like the advertising that is being suggested is as unintrusive as possible, and there will even be a link to allow you to completely disable them for free.

More money to the devs!