Wesnoth "Commercial"

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Hmm, my computer has problems with .avis, I wouldn't change just for me, but if other people have problems with that format, then you could change it.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

Very much agreed.
jonathantan86

Post by jonathantan86 »

Or you could just release it in more than one format. :-)
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

.avi is only a container format. Pure uncompressed avi with plain .wav as aound stream eats the space on your hd alive. That is why you normally use a compression like DivX or Xvid when creating an avi. The audio-stream is often encoded as mp3 or ogg-vorbis.
So when you say you got problems with avi you probably are missing the right codec. If you are using windows search for codec packs like k-lite megacodecpack or things like this. The mediaplayer named VLC also supports most common codecs on all platforms.
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

I think MPEG is more standard than .avi.

I know a Mac can't play most AVI files right out of the box. I think everybody can play MPEG.
<rcarello>
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

A mac can convert AVI's into MOV's with DIVX doctor. This usually takes a few seconds per minute of movie.

doctor.3ivx.com
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
The Kingdom Of Loathing Era
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I am almost certain I can make movies in .avi or.mpeg so I can just release it in both. :) but I will definately look into compressing my .avi version if that will help
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I got a preliminary screen capture of the AI. My computer is being annoying though, so I'll post it as soon as I can. It is a bit lagging, but I will try to clean that up. Just a heads up on it: I can only post this in .AVI (Very sorry :( ) but the final will be released in multiple formats whenever it is done. This post is basically to prove I am working on this somewhat consistantly. :wink:
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

Fynmiir wrote:I am almost certain I can make movies in .avi or.mpeg
These are, for video (edit: assuming you need sound, not just animation), the two most widely supported formats, I think. MPEG is somewhat more widely supported than .avi, but both will in general work on most platforms, and neither is really truly universal like .png or whatnot -- there is no video format as universal as that.

Ironically, I think the third most widely supported video format is probably .wma, but it is a somewhat distant third. Much further down the list than that and you're looking mostly at proprietary formats supported by only very specific software, such as Real or Shockwave or their ilk. If I cared much about video, I'd probably be clamoring for the OSS community to create a good open video format that isn't inherently lossy.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I put together some images into Premier Elements, added some sounds and did some cool transitions. However I can't upload this first draft because its too big... Does this mean the idea is dead in the water, or is there somehting else I can do to get this somewhere?
toms

Post by toms »

Do you have a homepage or another place where you can upload files?
This is the only idea I have. :?

No, I have another: You zip it down as small as you can.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

toms wrote:No, I have another: You zip it down as small as you can.
MPEGs generally don't zip well - they're already compressed with video-specific algorithms.

The only real option is to get some (preferably free) website hosting, or file transfer/email it to someone who does have webhosting. (Note that file attachments grow in size when emailed, so keep that as a backup option).
UDD

Post by UDD »

There are many free hosting sites that don't even require registration.
I don't remember any besides http://www.megaupload.com, but I haven't actually tried it. I think that it sends a link to the recipient's Email that allows them to download the file from the website, and you can post the link over here.
I think :\
~
When you turn your computer off, its called a "Shut Down".
Shouldn't turning your computer on be called a "Shut Up"?
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Courtesy Wercator Hosting, Inc., Fynmiir would like to present version 0.7 of the Wesmercial. ;-)
Author of Wercator
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Good Job! I like the flashing of portraits at the end, however I would get rid of the old piece of artwork. I also like your reanactment of the intro battle.
Sorry for the meaningless post