Scenario Review: THoT 7 - Mages and Drakes

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Hammer of Thursagan.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: THoT 7 - Mages and Drakes

Post by Content Feedback »

A survey of the 7th scenario of The Hammer of Thursagan.

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 7 - Mages and Drakes

Post by Turuk »

Huh, guess no one got this far and felt like writing about it.

Lord (Challenging) 1.5.7

7. Did not lose a unit but it was rough. Initially went in recruiting a mix of 2s and 3s with my limited money, had to switch to using all 3s and start over. The drakes can wear down your units quickly, and at the rate of recruiting 2-3 drakes per turn.... it was bloody.

Crystal. If it flies, it dies.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Alright. The fact that the drakes listening in and making comments is a bit odd, especially if you wonder why the drakes have not wiped out the mages before now or vice versa.

Killing the drakes faster than they could be recruited. All praise to Dragonguards (one shot, one drake kill).

7. Hard, but it was nice to actually get into it for once. So far in this campaign the player has managed to level his units without being in danger of facing a challenge that might kill a few of them.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More accessibility for the AI ally to help, he was essentially useless.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Reevaluating the situation and choosing to recall all lvl 3s.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy [Wesnoth 1.6.2]
Mythological wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Mythological wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Transparent.
Mythological wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Reasonable.
Mythological wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Working out the optimal village-capture sequence to the south. I do wish the initial assault mages were a little more cautious, keeping them alive is pretty much impossible as they get there one round before your Quick dwarves do.
Mythological wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Mythological wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I don't understand this scenario well enough to comment.
Mythological wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Mythological wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
The WML is clear and well-commented.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Lord, 1.8.1
(2) 5 - completed first time with losses.
(3) Clear.
(4) Fine.
(5) The income stream of the drakes - they were recruiting 2 or 3 units per turn throughout. That plus their mobility meant I lost several units in forcing my way up to their keep.

Rathelin (or however it is spelt) is a pain to carry around - he's too slow in the mountains, and that's the best place for the rest of my units.

(6) 5 - it is variety.
(7) Nothing comes to mind at the moment.
(8) No.
ManiacTehGreat

Post by ManiacTehGreat »

This was the first time I encountered Drakes, so that was novel and fun.

I also love the map for this scenario. It looks pretty, and it also offered the option to use terrain to your tactical advantage. Always more fun than pure flatland battles.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

hard (aka challenging, aka lord); 1.8.3; 81 gold

9.5, one of those scenarios that appears impossible (on hard) but isn't.

Clear.

I agree with Turuk above that the Drake listening in and contributing to the conversation is a bit silly. It's also confusing, because first we're talking about intruders in the valley, and then you cut to the Drake. Eliminate his first comment and it will be improved.

I started with the minimum gold of 80 (plus 1), which was a challenge given the large number of units I would be facing. I recalled all three of my dragonguards and a dwarf lord. Maybe I should have gone for a stalward instead of the dwarf lord.

Mr. Boss Drake recruited 2-3 units per turn, which means that when you get near the keep, he tends to be surrounded by his units. It's difficult to break through to get a shot on him, and you need more than one shot to kill him.

Mr. Mage is slow in mountains and is difficult to protect from drake attack. I solved this by running him first down the front of the mountains (next to the water), and then crossing in the forest and running him down the backside. He did not do much helpful compared to my other units.

10, one of the best in all the mainline campaigns

Great as is.

The first time I lost due to getting bogged down in combat and unable to push forward to the objective.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
There are almost no comments. It looks like for future scenarios the player keeps Ratheln except on hard. So, you could write a comment for that. Also, upon victory a semi-experienced mage (and a second one on easy) is created who joins the player on the next scenario, so you could comment on that. And it looks like you only get that gift mage only if Master Perrin (the allied leader) stays alive, so you could comment on that. On hard, is there a penalty if Ratheln dies? If both Master Perrin and Ratheln die, then what happens with Ratheln's dialog about Perrin's death?

Below is a fairly exciting replay. Watch the ending as one dragonguard gives his life in order to get one shot on the drake leader, then on the next turn two dragonguards and a dwarf lord each killed a drake to clear a path so that Angarthing could have a shot to kill the leader... 49%, and it worked. Since I needed to parlay four kills to kill the leader, that was a bit lucky. However, I did no save-reloads at any time in the campaign. (I recommend 2x acceleration on the replay.)
Attachments
THoT-Mages_and_Drakes_replay.gz
(28.49 KiB) Downloaded 1368 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:A survey of the 7th scenario of The Hammer of Thursagan.

Normal 1.8.3
1 - The drakes murdered the mages on the north bank, while my units took the southern bank. The AI seemed to almost have ignored me. Other than a few clashers, I really met no resistance.
Clear.
As written above, the drake leader peeking in on the convo is awkward.
Nothing, really. The AI ignored me for the most part.
5 - simple, yet challenging in a certain way.
The drake leader need bodyguards, pronto.
Nope.
Didn't check.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Medium, 189 starting gold

6, most challenging of champaign so far.

Clear.

OK

Getting over the river - you're pretty exposed at this point and it's a bottleneck. The enemy leader foolishly came out and attacked. If he hand just hung back, it would have been a tough fight to his lair given he still seemed to be recruiting 2-3 units a turn.

Insert usual complaints about ally AI here.

No.

This scenario isn't commented, which is a step down from most of the rest of this campaign.
Attachments
(25.04 KiB) Downloaded 988 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hard 1.9+svn

4. I had too many advanced units by this point for it to be difficult.

Crystal.

I hate drakes.

None.

4. I hate drakes. Also it's kind of boring, I didn't suffer any losses but didn't finish early either, it mostly felt like a slog through a bunch of not-really-threatening drakes to get to their leader and kill him.

Not have drakes? And perhaps make it more challenging. Or give some sort of incentive for not recalling a handful of high level units and curb-stomping the drakes. At this point there isn't much of one, since I have enough advanced units that I don't really need more.

No.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
santosis

Post by santosis »

Medium 1.8.5

Got it, kill the rabbit.

It works.

I spent all my gold recruiting a keeps worth of troops (all lvl 3 except for one lvl 2 Stalwart). As usual, I moved down the mountain range and crossed the river while the enemy troops were diverted with a peon mage.

I easily made it without casualties (one restart)

I finished in round 11/25, with 21 gold. I will carry 148 gold over to the next scenario.

7 - Good ole fashioned stomp fest.

Can't really think of any.

Didn't control ZoC, got my griffin swarmed.
Etheri

Post by Etheri »

(Edited after replaying the campaign to this point, I initially couldn't beat this level)

Challenging 1.8.4

6. I managed to complete it without endangering any units badly, but I felt I had a particularly good run of it.

Very.

It seems unclear what has the drakes in such a stir right at the moment of my arrival.

Before replaying the campaign, I began with minimum gold, and a non optimal unit mix, I didn't have the damage capacity to launch an attack on the drake leader.
After replaying, I had +45 gold and 4 (eventually to be) dragonguards, the drakes didn't really stand a chance. Thus, my major challenge in meeting the objectives was making sure I was strong enough to attempt the scenario in the first place.

6. Good old fashioned roflstomp.

Seemed fine to me. I initially proposed an alternate win condition, but perhaps this scenario makes a good "you must be this tall to ride" sign :)

Yes! When I originally encountered the scenario, I began with minimum gold and a less than optimal recruit. I was utterly incapable of winning in 10+ attempts. Thus, this scenario forced me to restart the entire campaign.

Haven't looked.
Attachments
(26.12 KiB) Downloaded 856 times
Yrth

Post by Yrth »

Hardd, 1.8.5

8, if you realize the griffon king will leave his hoard to attack wounded units, you may use this to your advantage and the scenario gets more easy, with some luck you don´t even have to cross the river

Clear

Commenting by the griffons on the remote talk with the mages seems silly, confronting the griffons is not explained sufficiently, main reason seems to be introducing another race into the campaign

Getting enough gold from the former scenario to recruit sufficient units, keeping my mage alive, he is no big help anyway, so keep him out of the fight if it is not secure

Improve the story

In order to get enough gold I had to restart the former scenario

BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.8.5

9 - Look, he's spawning more drakes. Oh look, he's still spawning drakes. Oh look, the drakes want to kill me. Oh look, he's STILL spawning drakes. Didn't help that I had only one dragonguard at the beginning.

No problem

Why are the drakes listening in? Why have they decided on this very moment to attack the clearly weaker mages, rather than some earlier time, when the mages did not have friends who pack heat?

Killing the Drakes faster than they could be recruited.

It was very rough trying to cross the river to get to the Drake commander. I had parked on the hills near the eastern ford to do battle in favorable terrain. But then it dawned on me that The Drake boss kept spawning more of his buddies, and that I was not recovering HP fast enough to keep fending them off. And this is with some good shooting from my thunder/dragon-guards. So I had to push quickly to get in position. It was pretty brutal forcing my way through the drakes to gain a foothold on the other side

I was in pretty bad shape by the time I made it to the mountains around the Drake base (nest?). But the boss left open a space next to him in his recruitment, so a Sentinel grabbed a foothold. And that was that.

7 - brutally tough, but in an interesting fashion.

Dialog/story improvements. Make our ally less stupid. He never came out of his castle to bail out his students. Also Ratheln doesn't have anything interesting to do, and running way away is not very heroic.

Well not so much one event as getting beaten when trying to cross the river.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Medium, 1.9.6

7 - lots of drakes. with a strategy of recalling level 3 fighters and level 2 or 3 scouts it was possible to move fast enough before they spawned too many and cross the river easily to the leader.

see previous commenter re: implausibility.

none. had to have good units coming into this scenario.

change dialogue to make drakes have history of harassing mages about some minor dispute. perhaps let them surrender and continue to live there under truce, due to worse threat of impending evil menace about which we have been picking up clues. have the drakes give another tip.

easy to get too eager to grab villages with the gryphon rider and get him swarmed :lol2:

(9)
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, Hard, 96gp

moderate, like 5-to-6. Recalled a couple of level 2 Thunderers, another one of level 1, and two recruits. Expected to have big trouble but surprizingly even inexperienced shooters dealed with drakes pretty well. Level 1-2 shooter crew even has the advantage - it's less expensive, so you have some gold surplus for the next scenario.

My main guy was killed near the drake keep, reloaded once. Just had a feeling it's perfectly doable w/o reloads but restarting looked boring

it's an okay scenario, though don't want to replay

probably fine as it is