Scenario Review: THoT 5 - Invaders

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Hammer of Thursagan.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: THoT 5 - Invaders

Post by Content Feedback »

The Hammer of Thursagan, scenario 5 - Invaders:

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
WarHamster

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 5 - Invaders

Post by WarHamster »

Normal.

Sweet Jeebus, the difficulty sure jumped up now! :shock: After such an easy time (more or less) in the previous scenarios, this sure was a rude awakening. Three camps of orcs, each pumping out Lvl 2 Orc Warriors like there is no tomorrow (those buggers hit hard, 10-3)! I'd rate this scenario hard/very hard, depending on your units' experience and how lucky you are ;). If you don't have plenty of Lvl 2 dwarves in your force, you're going to be steamrolled, and even if you do, you better hope the orcs trip up loads of bandits as they capture villages on their way to you. IMHO, a lot depends on how the bandits fare vs the orcs at the beginning. If only a sorry handful of bandits spawn (in total) and they roll poorly in their attacks, the entire scenario will be very difficult. If they manage to at least slow the orcs down (and whittle away some of their HP), then the scenario is "just" difficult (and not very difficult).

They were clear, no problems there.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The story and dialog continue to remain interesting and well-written, as they have been throughout this campaign.

Surviving the night turns at the onslaught of three orc tribes (with those thrice-cursed Orc Warriors). Good grief, I still shiver at the memory. :augh: Note: I had, IMHO, leveled up my force pretty well, having (IIRC) 2 Steelclads, 2 Stalwarts, 2 Thunderguards and the Gryphonrider at Lvl 2 as well. So I wasn't completely toothless, but there were so many orcs... (I, of course, got assorted Lvl 1 dwarves to act as reserves and speed bumps (sorry, guys!) with my remaining gold too.)

I did have fun, but, oh boy, was it laced with despair and frustration! It is fun to have tough fights, but at times this battle verged on hopeless and that's not much fun. So it's a bit of a mixed bag, in the end.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I might have given the orcs a bit less gold at start. Might even drop one orc camp. The amount of orc units being recruited during the first turns is a bit disheartening. This scenario is going to cost the dwarven player dearly, there's no way around that. Currently it might be a tad too costly, though.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yeppers. On my first try, I ran out of time (believe it or not). I was so badly mauled by the orcish assault(s) on the early turns, that I had no hope of attacking without a reinforcing and healing. This "cease fire" took a bit too long, plus my subsequent advance was somewhat cautious. I got two of the three orc bosses killed, but could not make it to the last (topmost) camp in time to kill the last boss (would've needed 2-3 more turns). The second time I got a better start (those bandits put up a good fight, thanks fellas!) and by turn 20 (or so) was finally stealing the initiative from the orcs and gaining momentum. But disaster struck in the form of bad dice rolling on two turns and I considered the subsequent situation a stalemate and did a reload (couple turns back). (Note: No way in nine hells was I to restart to whole scenario, I was almost out of steam by this point and starting over was not an option. I wante to get this scenario over and done, ASAP.)

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
Atreus93

Post by Atreus93 »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy

2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6 or 7 I got lucky with the bandits because many more spawned near the orcs than near me. I started with two L2s, six or so became L2s, including the loremaster guy, but I lost one steelclad and one thunderguard. Fortunately, the orcs were pretty depleted by bandits when I finally attacked. Won in 25 turns.

Kill the buggers. Pretty clear.

Clear, not much dialog but well written

Not getting too aggressive and charging into a 3-way fight was a little temptation. I also had problems with the friggin orc warriors, but luckily they were only L2s at the southern camp.

9. I had a ton of fun with it. I get the feeling that with a little less luck I could have been swamped, but it was quite enjoyable on Easy.

Maybe reduce the number of L2s the orcs recruit. It could have gotten to be a problem.

Nope, thankfully.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord (Challenging) 1.5.7

4. The orcs hit hard and the sheer number of enemies is daunting, but if you choose to go north and after Green first (instead of rushing to fight Purple), it really is not that bad. Blue and Purple get hung up chasing villages and fighting bandits, and Green is weakened by the time you get there. Not to mention all the exp, I started this scenario with 5 level 2 units and recruited a bunch of level 1s. I ended with six level 3 units and five level 2 units, as well as a couple of level 1s with good exp. Certainly makes for a nice fighting force, and finishing in less than half the given turns means plenty of gold as well. Also, after taking one village, I left the rest alone so that the orcs would have nice surprises. ;)

Crystal.

Not bad, basically the orcs are in our way, we must kill them to get through.

None.

7. I like the surprise of the bandits spawning from the villages, the idea of trying to kill off the three warlords while avoiding taking on all their troops at once.

Even though I did not find it too too hard, I like it as it is.

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good to me, nice spawns.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy, Hard [Wesnoth 1.6.2]
Mythological wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Easy: 7
Hard: 10 (did not think of Turok's strategy, should consider replaying).
Mythological wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Transparent.
Mythological wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Excellent (reasonably good use of foreshadowing, etc.).
Mythological wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Zone of Control for the most part. Also, needing at least two backup for each village taken. Also, carryover gold from the Troll Bridge is negligible.
Mythological wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Easy: 9
Hard: Unknown (probably would be good with Turok's strategy, need to check that)
Mythological wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I don't understand this scenario well enough to suggest tweaks. Gut reaction is that +40 gold would make taking on violet viable on hard, so don't do that.
Mythological wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Easy: no
Hard: wipeout with naive strategy.
Mythological wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Yes, the WML is clear and well-commented.
gillo1

Post by gillo1 »

Normal

10. I couldn't finish it. I'm the kind of Wesnoth player that likes to play without saving, if I loose some important fighter I go on anyway. So I arrived to this scenario with just one LV2 unity and 178 money.

Very clear

very interesting and well-written

With the money I have I can recruit around 8 first level fighters, while in the battlefield there are around 40 2nd level fighters. I tried waiting many turns while the others fight among them, I tried going north, I tried going south, I tried going in the middle... nothing. Maybe if I always save after a good fight I could make it, but that's not the way I play.

Not very fun and pretty slow because of the number of fights. I found it a bit more fun when I killed the north orc boss, but while I was trying to heal the south and west orcs went on recruiting new orcs (it was turn 30...)

Either more minimum gold at start or less gold to orcs. Also the bandits could just fight the orcs.

Yes, I tried this scenario 5 or 6 times and then decided to quit the campain. Don't feel like starting everything again to save the grifon (loading the turn before if he loses a fight) or to save more money (I already did my best). If you like to play without ever saving I suggest you to start with the easy level.

Don't know Wesnoth Markup Language
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Lord, 1.8.1
(2) 5
(3) Clear.
(4) Okay.
(5) No issues really, it's just a tricky battle against a lot of L2 enemies.
(6) 10 - this is the best stuff-popping-out-of-villages scenario I have played in Wesnoth. I've seen it done several times but never this well before. The enemy initially looks too strong for you, but the ambushes weaken all the orc L2 units and cause their attacks to be badly coordinated, so I can crunch my way through their injured units as they reach my army.

Also, despite the numbers of enemies, you end up in a fluid advancing fight (when the enemy is this strong and in fairly open terrain, scenarios usually come down to maintaining a static defense for a while until the enemy strength wanes). It's also good how you have to deal with the same problem as the orcs, with ambushes affecting your early deployment.

(7) -
(8) No.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Playing Wesnoth 1.8.1

Normal

Maybe an 8. But the previous levels were 4s or 5s. Seriously this level is a huge jump in difficulty. Up till this level i played somewhat casually, maybe loosing a unit or two but always beating the scenario on the first try without the outcome ever being in doubt I'd gained 4 L2 units. But playing this scenario a little more carefully got me slaughtered pretty quick. The jump in difficulty is huge.

The previous poster may be a much better player than i am, but the angry villager ambushes didn't seem to give me much of an edge. By turn 10 all villages had been visited, and all villagers were dead. Maybe it's too random, and i just didn't get enough or the right kind of orc-killing villagers.

This campaign should be easier, or previous campaigns should be made longer and harder -- the discontinuity is glaring. It's not at all fun to find out 5 scenarios in that contrary to previous indications, a much more careful play-style was necessary from the start.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

hard; 1.8.3

7. I don't know what all the hubbub above is about. I recruited one keep, starting with five level 1's and five level 2's, and ended with two level 2's and seven level 3's, including my leader and Angarthing. That was despite making several stupid mistakes. One mistake caused me to lose one unit, who started as a low XP level 1 thunderer, though when he died he was level 2.

In general, you have to realize that campaigns are inherently difficult to play balance, because players who promote their units quickly early on will have a much easier time for the rest of the campaign compared to those who don't or take early losses. If you find a scenario too difficult, you might need to go back a couple of scenarios and replay them to be better prepared. I kicked ass in Strange Allies, generating a solid roster, so I was kind of expecting smooth sailing afterwards. Note that I did no save-reloading at any time during the campaign.

I did use up almost all the turns in Invaders, and so I will have very little gold on top of the minimum for the next scenario, but I doubt it will be a problem.

Clear.

Actually, I'm a bit confused. The orcs are running from the masked ones? They are the bandits? Why are the orcs running? Only some orcs are on our side, but they're not here, and all orcs are against the bandits?

My strategy was to hole up defensively on the little bit of rock east and southeast of the keep. It was uncomfortably small, but had the advantage of a board edge to protect one flank.

Although only occasionally in serious jeopardy, my dwarves got pretty banged up and then took forever to heal. Also, later in the game I wound up doing a lot of isolated skirmishes, 2-on-1, 3-on-3 and the like, and this was new and challenging for me (and was not always a good idea!) I'm accustomed to having a calvarly to save the day.

With the slow dwarves, I regretted not bringing along my pet Griffon. He would have been no use early on, but later he could have snatched up orc-flagged villages, both for gold for me and to reduce the annoying number of orc recruits late in the game. The Griffon also could have supported the isolated skirmishes as needed.

If you surround a village before flagging it, then flag it and it says that bandits are here, nobody pops out, so that's buggy. I would have them pop out around the surrounders.

No.

It's pretty good. However, it speaks of bug #12839, where the AI does not attack with the unit that went into the village and triggered bandits. Although this was left as a bug in version 1.6, I don't think version 1.8 has this problem. At least in my game, I think the AI attacked with the unit that went into the village, except maybe when it was almost totally surrounded. I think the AI will also forego attacks if you surround one of its units the normal way. This wouldn't be a bug, but rather an attempt to save the unit.
Attachments
THoT-Invaders_replay.gz
(51.17 KiB) Downloaded 1696 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:The Hammer of Thursagan, scenario 5 - Invaders:

Normal 1.8.3
6 - Bandits and orcs together provided an interesting battle, but steelclads and Pathfinders destroy them all.
Clear.
I liked this one. Made me anticipate who the 'masked ones' were.
Finishing early to get a good bonus.
8 - a simply great scenario.
Hm. Perhaps at random stick in a higher level bandit, and then have to face the the bandit leader at the end of the scenario.
Nope.
Didn't check.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Medium, 195 starting gold

Kill orcs.

Good. Up to rest of this campaign so far.

It looked rather terrifying at first, I'm finding it amazing what dwarves in mountains can do. The scariest moment was watching Aiglondur go through a bunch of orc warriors on defense in one turn, slowing dropping his HP as he ground them to bits wondering if he would defend himself to death.

8. Watching AI on AI action is always entertaining.

Liked it as is.

No. Couple close calls though.

Well commented.

(No replay attached - the bandits popping out of villages seems to confuse Wesnoth replay engine to no end.)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hard, 1.9+svn

9. Like everyone's saying, it suddenly got a lot harder. I understand wanting to have varying difficulties for pacing purposes and all that, but this felt a little excessive.

Clear enough.

Good orcish dialogue again. Fairly clear. Not sure the "the villagers are attacking!" needs to play every time the trap triggers.

* Having enough gold
* Realizing the proper strategy

Hard to answer... either 9 or 4. It's was most challenging scenario I've encountered in a while, which is always fun, but it was frustrating at the same time, and after I figured it out it felt kind of cheap. Going across the river is only a good strategy, after all, because the orcs are STUPID enough to come at you in the water, where they're easily picked off. It would be nice if other strategies were possible. (Perhaps they are in some situations, but given my gold and difficulty level it seemed pretty much hopeless to attack anyone but the northernmost baddie.) Also, I realize that making only 0-2 bandits appear when you flag a village but 3-5 appear when they do is for balancing purposes, but it's slightly nonsensical and also makes for weird tactics -- since it's in your favor to have more bandits on the field, and you're going to end in negative gold anyway, it seems like the best strategy is to not flag any villages and let them trigger bandits in each one. I didn't try this, but it probably would have gotten me a better result.

A bit of balancing seems to be in order. I'd make the northernmost one tougher and the southern two weaker so there are more valid strategies, and also reduce all of their gold counts so that you don't need lopsided bandit numbers to make it winnable.

The first two times I tried charging the southern player and got crushed, then I went back for more gold and tried again and got crushed, then I tried going north and it wasn't that bad. So, four attempts total?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
santosis

Post by santosis »

Medium, 1.8.5

6 - I figured the previous 3 scenarios were building up to a grind war. This was it.

Clear - If it breathes, kill it.

The bandits made for a nice touch, but could have had a bandit leader and more dialogue.

I took my force (2 keeps worth, one recall of lvl 2's and high XP lvl 1's and then a keeps worth of scouts and guardsmen) to the mountains by the river. The enemy was engaged with bandits, so it was an easy move. I then picked the enemy apart as they crossed the river or tried to enter the mountains. It took a very long time (27 turns), but I won without losing any major units (I lost 2 meatshields).

I also got lucky a few times in this scenario, as five units leveled up and thus got the HP refresh. I would have lost more units otherwise (although it is part skill and part luck, since I was monitoring XP levels as I attacked and positioned units). I pretty much leveled every troop I had; I leave the scenario with 2 Lords (that includes my hero), 2 Explorers, 2 Thunderguards, 3 Pathfinders, 2 Stalwarts, and 2 Guardmen 1/2 way to lvl 2.

I finished in 27 rounds with -232 gold. I will carry over 16 gold (gulp) to the next scenario. The major challenge might be trying to recover from my current state of abject poverty in future scenarios.

8 - very fun to watch the orcs battle the bandits and figure when to swoop in for an easy kill. Mostly, this one came to terrain discipline--only once (until the very end) did I fight an enemy off a mountain.

Add a bandit leader.

One reset when I tried to cross the river too aggressively. Instead, I moved one sacrificial meatshield across the river and into the village east of the boss. That got the boss to move. Bad decision on his part.
Etheri

Post by Etheri »

Challenging 1.8.4

5 if I head North, 11 if I head East.

Seems more or less imperative to head north across the river and let the AI lose half his force fighting bandits if you don't want to suffer heavy losses.
I knew this scenario was coming, so I had plenty of recalls almost levelled in order to ensure I could maintain a solid line with minimal access to villages. I was willing to lose 2 - 3 L2s, however, I had significant luck with a +10I -10T natural swing and RNG giving plenty of bandits to the AI.

Very clear, kill the Bad Guys.

I got distracted from the storyline by marauding hordes of orcs.

Not many, surprisingly. My most serious and fatal threat came from overzealous XP farming at the end

9. One of my favourites. As a previous poster mentioned, I love being able to engage a large amount of enemies without locking my units into a mincer formation and letting the AI chew itself up.

More consistency of the bandit deployments, bad RNG here can have you struggling.

1st try, Iheaded east, and got utterly decimated.

On my "successful" try, I got a bit carried away farming XP and lost mr runemaster, so I reloaded to a few turns earlier and took it a bit easier.

Nope.
Attachments
THoT-Invaders_replay.gz
(48.08 KiB) Downloaded 936 times
Yrth

Post by Yrth »

Hard, 1.8.5

9, even with a good leveled army and some gold the orcs seem to be quite overwhelming and they are

Clear

Nice story, dialog of the orcs is a bit silly but my these are just orcs

In my first attempt I occupied the villaged around my castle, dispatched the bandits and built a strong defensive in the hills east of my castle. Succeeded with few losses but due to a silly mistake also my griffon. However, I felt very lucky, the bandits faired quite well and my units close to death leveled up just in time. In order to avoid the loss of my griffon I tried again and failed utterly. Finally I sent my army north, dispatched the northern orcs quickly and built a defensive in the northern hills. However, this strategy will work only if the bandits put up a good fight. If the northern orcs attack you already at the grasslands you will take some damage early and even worse you are delayed. By the time you are reaching the hills a major army from the south may already be upon you. Even more, orcs taking villages in the north may cause the bandits to attack you.

8, nice and very challenging

No proposal

Dying a lot