Scenario Review: THoT 2 - Reclaiming the Past

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Hammer of Thursagan.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: THoT 2 - Reclaiming the Past

Post by Content Feedback »

Reclaiming the Past is the second scenario of The Hammer of Thursagan. Feel free to reply to this thread and answer the following questions about it so that we know the opinion of the user base about the scenario.

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Oglander

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 2 - Reclaiming the Past

Post by Oglander »

Easy

Very Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Pretty good, allying with Orcs is a nice twist.

None whatsoever.

3, The Orcs are too powerful; I didn't get a look! It was over in 7 turns.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Drastically reduce the gold of the Orcs. They are way too powerful.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No! I managed to get over the bridge with One guy and fought one footpad. That was it, The Orcs took everything else before I could get there.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
WarHamster

Post by WarHamster »

This scenario is actually just a "cutscene" of the main characters talking. So, I'll forgo using the standard questionaire and just comment on this in a general way.

I liked this scenario/cutscene. It gave a nice sense of purpose (and background info) to the campaign and delivered it through character dialogue, giving it a more personal feeling than had it been done by the intro text/narrator. The story is starting to get quite interesting now.

Just FYI, Oglander (above) actually refers to scenario 3 and not 2.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Dialogue scenario, so not too much to say, but I did want to comment on the dialogue. It was actually a conversation back and forth between characters for once, and not a bunch of one-liners, which is nice.

However, maybe a better explanation for the sudden addition of the Annalist line that is a take on the loremaster. The oh we found a secret workshop with his book just as you happened to be in the throne room seems a bit contrived. Perhaps have the reporting main character interrupt a discussion between the king and the dwarf telling him of the discovery? Just a thought...
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
cph

Post by cph »

(4) Very interesting, and clear enough despite the accent :-)

But, I noticed (1.8.1) that the initial story screen didn't render correctly. It starts with "audience hall of Hamel, Lord..." - none of the text before that appears. Presumably it's a game bug and not a bug in the campaign as the WML looks straightforward.

(6) 8 - good setup.
(7) Eliminate the redundant carryover report.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Wow, I had no idea the Hammer of Thursagan was so important. I thought it was just a hammer to hit stuff with. :P The dialogue sets up some interesting conflicts, BUT in retrospect I think it would have been nice to do more foreshadowing for Karrag's eventual appearance. Also, I didn't really get a sense (and never really got a sense) for how important Angarthing is to the plot; I'm not sure why this is, and it might just be lack of attention on my part. Still, it might help if he didn't begin the scenario on-screen, and instead began somewhere else and was made to walk into the room. Also just give him some more bombastic lines in this first scenario with him so we know he's a major character early on.

Another possible reason for the problem: his portrait, while well done, isn't that distinctive looking; it doesn't scream out "main character." This isn't helped by the fact that everyone who speaks has a portrait now, instead of just the main characters... this is more of a general gripe though... not sure what can be done about it anyway, obviously we have to use the awesome portraits we've been getting.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Yrth

Post by Yrth »

Nice sequence in between
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

(1) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
As with most scenarios, I enjoyed it.
(2) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Have more dwarves in the surrounding area. I don't like a city that looks as if it were only populated by a lord, a witness, as a fighter.
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.8.5

Nice actual dialogue (instead of monologues). I second all of Turuk's comments. A little better explication of the annalist/witness line would be nice.

Make it actually look like we're in a city or great hall or whatever- have a few other Dwarves around- advisers, guards, whatever. Make it look less like three guys inhabit the whole city.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

I felt a little in the dark about what specifically a runesmith was... is it like some kind of dwarven mage?
Fate is against me.
WackBone

Post by WackBone »

There is no/less post of replay for "Dialogue Only Scenario" in this forum.
Wesnoth might be a Tactical/Strategical Simulation Game. Yes, it is a my favor.

But "Battle of Wesnoth" has lots of STORY. So it can be considered as a group of novel among some tribes living in Planet Wesnoth(?).
Somebody may hope to read whole of the Novel (When I'm tired in a time, I will be one of them, maybe).
If you are tracking the story of a time in Dwarven Land, see attached replay.

About Story Telling of the level:
It well distributes some wonders by named tallent (HEROs) of the Wesnoth World.
  • Who is Tallin? -> Play a campaign "Northern Rebirth"
  • Who is Thursagan? -> Play a campaign "Sceptre of Fire"
(It is only a sorry point that lacking Hyper Link Mechanism in Wesnoth Game System:-)

Each is very amusing and fun campaign, I'v played.

And again, Dialogues in this scenario is well written, I think.
It'll be a nice navigator of half of the Wesnoth' world.

BTW, How can I get all gold in the northern treasure room in the map!!! :twisted:
gold, Gold, GOLD!!! :mrgreen:
Attachments
THoT-WD-Sc02-Reclaiming_The_Past-Replay.gz
(9.25 KiB) Downloaded 840 times
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Its a dialog only level so I'm skipping most of the questions. This is a decent setup for a campaign, gives us the necessary background, raises a few mysteries, and gives us our overall objectives. Its all setup and exposition so its not the most exciting thing to read, but it does its job well and gives some decent flavor to the dwarves.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- I like this scenario. Despite being dialogue only, it does reveal some mysteries regarding the campaign. Plus it introduces us to Angarthing,an important ally to the campaign. I wonder where this is going to lead at
supperman

Post by supperman »

Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2008, 10:24 pm (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging 1.12.5

0 - It's story only.

What objectives?

Clear, but dwarvish accent makes my eyes skim over longest sentences.

???

7. The lore could be very enjoyable, but currently lines are too long for dwarven speech.

Shorten lines.

Are you serious? :P
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Found a grammatical error in the dialogue!

The Priestly Dwarf says the further North. That should be the farther North as he was not giving directions.

The portraits were nice and the map in the background was enticing, I wasn't sure if there was going to be a fight inside the Dwarf Caves or not! Kept me alert.... The preamble was somewhat ominous and I half expected a civil war between dwarves.