Scenario Review: THoT 1 - At the East Gate

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Hammer of Thursagan.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BubbleScreen

Re: Scenario Review: THoT 1 - At the East Gate

Post by BubbleScreen »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.5

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5 - the terrain is unfavorable and you don't have any high-level units. Plus we're just getting our feet wet with Scouts.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
No problem.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Straightforward, immediately catapults us into the campaign.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Leveling units.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4 - nothing particularly bad or great about the scenario, but we don't need that

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Vary the terrain? A little more dialogue.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Kimnor

Post by Kimnor »

Easy

Clear enough

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It's fine.

Not being able to heal my units.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Some map tweaks to give better terrain for Dwarves.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I did redo turns when I failed to protect my injured units correctly.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
NA

I did find a problem with the end of the dialog after the scenario. See attached image. Why does it have the bonus gold calculation twice?
Attachments
bug.JPG
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Because Hamel is on a player controlled side.

His side could be changed to AI controlled to prevent this from happening.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Medium, 1.9.6

7. bad terrain, enemy has high mobility and stronger starting units. and of course it is night when the clash occurs :P

Devising a strategy. I found that a scout and a gryphon/rider were sufficient to trap and take down a lone goblin/wolf. Careful use of the south end makes it winnable without any losses.

More dialogue, maybe some dwarven cursing.

Heavy losses when i tried to hold the center. Not the scenario's fault.

(9)
AnnieSpambot

Post by AnnieSpambot »

1) Difficulty Level - Normal 1.8.4
2) Difficulty of Play - Easy
3) Clarity - Crystal clear
4) Dialogue - Clear and interesting, it gets you straight into the story
5) Challenges - Lack of good terrain coupled with no healer
6) Fun - 8
7) Changes - Maybe more dialogue through the scenario
8) Event leading to reload - No

I like the start of this campaign as the story is well written and interesting. Will continue it soon. Thanks!
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
100%
It's
Keeping away from the the forests so the orcs couldn't get their comparative advantage, which worked.
7. It's the first level, a warmup, it doesn't necessarily need to be epic, it introduces the characters. It serves it's purpose.
I had to take my leader away from the battlefield to go recruit more units, i wish there was somehow to circumvent this, such as adding a second castle closer to the enemy.
No
Fate is against me.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Played on Steelclad (Normal), 1.10.3 from SVN

7, most likely due to my decisions.

Clear, kill them.

Very barren. There isn't much dialogue at all to comment on.

I decided to move my dwarves south into the hills, with my loyal Gryphon Rider flagging villages. Anyway, I had to pull him south with my forces at turn 3 or 4, and the orcs managed to capture pretty much all of the villages. After killing a bunch of orcs in the hills, I noticed that all those villages let him shoot troops straight out his orcish butt. Kind of intimidating.

I moved my forces back onto the road to take some villages and help out my Gryphon. He stopped recruiting so much after doing that, I took out a bunch of units there, even with the horrible 30% evasion on flat land.

Anyway, it was painful, but I got a ton of experience from granting him all those villages. Three steelclads, one of them being Aiglondur. The loyal Gryphon's about 3/5th's towards leveling.

6. It's simple, pretty bland too in terms of dialogue, but I liked almost getting myself overwhelemed by an easy opponent on the first scenario. Yeah, I know that's terrible, but I usually play on the easiest difficulty.

Adding in some more dialogue would be nice, especially at the beginning. Perhaps you could also explain why you have a loyal Gryphon Rider, but can't recruit any during the campaign.

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A

Replay attached for this one, in case you're interested in seeing how it went. It gets incredibly disorganized when I move out of the hills.
Attachments
THoT-At_the_East_Gate_replay.gz
(16.84 KiB) Downloaded 846 times
Rubric

Post by Rubric »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Hardest.
Really hard the first time -- I marched straight across the map and got crushed half way across. On the 2nd play, I took the south route and beat the leader with minimal fighting. So, I guess I would say it's either very hard or very easy depending on your strategy.
I failed to level a single unit. I had maybe 3 guys that got half way to level 2.
It's fun. Nice intro to the campaign.
Not an event, but I restarted due to a massive onslaught of orcs, and no defensible terrain.

Edit to add:

I restarted the campaign after deciding that my army was completely unprepared and underfunded for the more difficult scenarios to come. So, I played this one on Hard a couple more times, before deciding to do the whole campaign on Medium.

Here is one thing I noticed that might be worth thinking about a change to the map: It's obviously designed to encourage the player to go south. That's fine, but the problem is that the favorable terrain runs right up against the edge of the map. From long experience with war games, I can say that when you have to worry about "the edge of the world", it seems like a design flaw. The map should extend another 5-7 hexes southward, and more importantly, it should end in UN-favorable terrain, so the player has no incentive to go further south. Just a suggestion.
WackBone

Post by WackBone »

First, I shall say "I love Dwarves!" :D

I've played this campaign few years ago in 1.8/Medium, and now, I'm trying "No-Loss" game in 1.10 with same difficulty.
It might be a unreal playing, but, it is one of enjoyment and possibility, I think.
I set some rules for me to play it fun.

Reload Restriction: only aiming:
  • to recruit units having desired characteristics (mainly taking Quick and/or Resilient, especially for Mages later)
  • to keep ENEMY Leader ALIVE (to earn more XP for my low-level units, keeping the leader's HP 0<n<10..)
DON'T Reload for:
  • to take good good, and goooood LUCK! (for attacking or defensing)
  • to survive critical timing, nearly death formation.
Dwarves are so tough, and they have averaged, well resistance for all sort of hit from attackers.
I think this campaign is a good training stage to learn formation, movement, defense, and some tiny tricks :geek:
I'll write some tricks too, not written in the Wiki. These are not goodies for HARD diffculty maybe, but may by well assistance for MED and EASY.

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? 1.10.3 Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 3: operations
Recruits: 2 Scouts at T1: to take Villeges
at T2: 2 Fighters, 2 Thunderers, 2 Guardsmen, then proceed.
Staying almost turns in southern hills and wait with luring some enemy units.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Crystal

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Crystal

Making my fundamental forces for some following scenarios: balanced recruits and better XP gaining
  • My leader (Aiglondur) gets Lv2
  • Loyal Gryphon reaches near Lv2
  • Units get XPs near the leveling, especially Dwarvish Guardsmen (They are being Nice GoalKeeper for entire campaign).
  • Keeping better income at last half of turns
There are enough villages to keep best income including cost for Lv1 units. Don't finish the scenario early.
After you occupied all villages and kill all enemy units except the leader, Make him "Mr. XP presenter"!

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5 (means center point of my scale)

For lesson of movement and formation, scatter some sort of terrains and its combination, spreading entire map.
Somewhere 2 units shall be placed (mountains and hills), and somewhere luring enemy units is going be a good operation (flatland and swamp backing hills).

However, current placement of terrains in the map is better to learn strategy, IMO.

Nothing except ENMLDR dies too early by our better luck 8)

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better? Sorry, I've not checked yet.

BTW, Please excuse me, my English is very poor probably. Please tell me advice to correct my English description getting better and well-meaning ^_^
Attachments
THoT-WD-Sc01-At_The_East_Gate-Replay.gz
Replay of THoT Medium Scenario 1
(18.36 KiB) Downloaded 1341 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:This is the scenario The Hammer of Thursagan campaign begins with. If you've recently played this scenario, please tell us your thoughts about it.

Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Avoiding both fight in the woods and allowing the fast wolves join forces against the same unit.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's an introductory level, not much is expected.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy and medium 18.5 and 12.10.5
About a 3-4.
Very clear.
Good enough.
Keeping villages when you have just one Gryphon Rider against 3-4 Wolf Riders where at least one will sneak round the back of you. I got round this by being more aggressive with Guardsmen and employing a 'hit and run strategy' with the other Orcs. Wounded Orcs are vulnerable and this tended to draw the Wolf Riders back into the conflict.

Levelling units is also a challenge.
8. I've played this a few times and enjoy playing it each time.
I would suggest allowing the recruiting of Gryphons but give the enemy more gold.
Yes. Used to playing Elves I learned that forests are bad for dwarves and you have to be a bit more careful with the day night cycle.
N/A
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?: Easy, 1.11.15
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10): 4
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?: Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?: Very clear. Although, the orc leader dialog is very generic- just in general, the whole "you're meat for my wolves" line is a little overused imho.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?: Fighting in the open flat/forest terrain. The hills are too far south to be of any real use.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10): 7
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?: Maybe move the starting keep eastward, so it takes less turns to engage with the orcs. Possibly add more hill/rough terrain in the center of the map.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?: I didn't check.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(1) Level and version? Hard (Lord), 1.12.4, 125 starting gold
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 8, lots and lots of orcs
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? dwarves on 30% die pretty fast.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 6
(7) Changes? Fine as is.
(8) Restarts? A couple (to beginning) - I kept getting overrun by the orcs due to not having enough units. So I went for a more conservative high income / low initial recruits strategy.

Strategy: For the first few turns I just village grab, and never recruit above the number of villages I own. In this way I can save up quite a bit of money to get lots of units. I prefer to give experience to quick units when possible and sacrifice the nonquick ones, as 4 MP units are annoying to drag around. I level Aiglondur, a steelclad and a thunderguard.

Finished turn 26/28
Attachments
THoT-At_the_East_Gate_replay.gz
(19.82 KiB) Downloaded 814 times
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Hard 1.13.8

Perfectly clear

Serviceable but not particularly interesting.

There were no major challenges. The initial clash between my forces and the enemy took a few turns to resolve and I suffered a couple of losses, but as long as I kept a decent formation the only challenge was not losing any units close to leveling in a stupid fashion.

5. Its a pretty basic straight forward scenario, not particularly exciting.

Nothing comes to mind. Its the first scenario of the campaign so it has to be a little basic, so its hard to think of ways to make it truly interesting

There wasn't anything that caused me to lose the game. I did restart once or twice, but never because I was losing the scenario, just because I was rusty after being away from the game for a long time and did a few stupid moves that cost me a unit that was just about to level, and while I could have still won easily I retried the scenario to get get back into the proper mindset of how cautious to be.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Pretty clear

- Short and simple, yet good. When you kill the orcish warrior, you already find out something is wrong.

- Battling the enemies on flat ground, because of dwarves' poor defense

- Since orcish warrior doesn't recruit orcish assassins (at least not on easy), make it that when you reach his keep, he summons two or three asssassins, giving a challenge to dwarves thanks to assassins' good defense in the keep and forest surrounding it

- None