Scenario Review: DiD 12 - Endless Night

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DiD 12 - Endless Night

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
wnsk

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 12 - Forever and Ever, Amen

Post by wnsk »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Normal, ver 1.4.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

2/10. Pretty easy. The enemy leader does not recruit much.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Initially, I thought the restarting of the campaign was a bug.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Although there was a bit of twist to the end (you had to die to be 'victorious'), I'd say it was pretty anti-climatic. Dialogue is sparse (malin's sister's fate is an unresolved plot point for me--dramatic element wasn't exploited to its full potential). Etc, etc--overall quite unsatisfying.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

No challenge at all.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

2/10.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Add 1 more enemy leader to make it two opponents. I think there should be a branch in the storyline somewhere where you could get a more positive ending. For example (and this is just an example), finding a time warp somewhere that will transport you back in time so you can make a different decision (like not go down the dark path, or something.)

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

I don't think this scenario can be rated by traditional methods. It serves a story purpose, and does so brilliantly.

The dull and repetative gameplay is the whole point. It is of course very easy to win, hint once you realize what the victory condition is.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Possibly add Dela as a one-time random leader after you've fought a couple. That should be interesting.
Lone_Isle

Post by Lone_Isle »

Huge letdown of a scenario. Essentially the creator was too lazy to finish the story and there is no climactic stage where you have to recall all your big units for an epic finish.
Ladder Name: Idle
Preference: Drake
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Lone_Isle wrote:Huge letdown of a scenario. Essentially the creator was too lazy to finish the story and there is no climactic stage where you have to recall all your big units for an epic finish.
:roll:

It's amazing how divisive this scenario is. People either love it, or hate it.

I personally love it. The campaign does need some serious revisions (making the Dela Keshar storyline more coherent, for example), but changing this scenario is not one of them.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I like this ending, but I think the enemy could be harder and get a lot harder each time they come so that you actually die after 3-5 times through (if you have the patience). Death is the proper ending for this scenario, as opposed to the happy endings of all the others (except SoF).
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Aethaeryn wrote:I like this ending, but I think the enemy could be harder and get a lot harder each time they come so that you actually die after 3-5 times through (if you have the patience). Death is the proper ending for this scenario, as opposed to the happy endings of all the others (except SoF).
The scenario does get progressively harder - I'm not sure how quickly, though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The "foolish hero"'s starting gold is 100 + 100 * timesForever.

Since you're far enough away that he can recruit several keeps worth of units before you can reach him; he actually has an income (5/7/9, depending on difficulty), you don't and there only seven villages (split equally, 3/1/3), it should eventually become impossible to overwhelm or outlast him.
Mudhut

Post by Mudhut »

For what it is worth, I loved this scenario. It was so appealing to constantly come back and level up my undead army... I finally "died" when taking down the 600 gold Foolish Hero (which must have been attempt 6, yes?), and enjoyed the ending...
Fennlt

Post by Fennlt »

Didn't even realize how to beat the campaign til I visited this topic. Even then when I suicided the ancient lich into about 30 units he put up a nice fight and took down 5 or so guys still heh.

But I agree huge letdown. I had a nice army of elite units and was expecting some big showdown with the orcs or something of the sort.

I mean come on, you get wounded by a humongous orc army... which btw there was no reason why you couldn't have manually gone through that fight instead of reading about it...
Then you turn into a lich... then an ancient lich, have a huge fortress and army. More powerful than ever, and you get to fight some foolish hero who slowly becomes richer and richer. >_>

5/10
psvensson

Post by psvensson »

I think this is a fitting end to the campaign and a fitting end for a protagonist who's lost his humanity. It gives a nice sense of the long lifespan of a lich. But it's also a little anticlimactic. A variation might be a single scenario set up to be unwinnable, with all the enemies of the necromancer coming together to finally give him his due, led by his sister.
miekka

Post by miekka »

Very interesting scenario. The end was unsatisfying (as with most campaigns I've played) but interesting. Such a tragic story.
Phr0stByt3

Post by Phr0stByt3 »

Well, I died on the 2nd wave :roll: . Frankly, I wasn't careful enough throughout the campaign, didn't have any strength left after finding the book and lost everything but a lvl2 wizard getting the book away from your "mentor"...

Anyhow, this campaign is absolutely fantastic :D :!: , but underdeveloped. Need more on the story of Dela :eng: . Here's a thought: perhaps if you survive a wave from each type (dwarf, assassin, royal guard, orc, elf [I think that's it]) then Dela comes along (although I'm not sure how that plays into the fact that I killed her) and instead of finishing her off, you can make a dialogue decision to "end this madness" and "Rest In Peace" instead of killing her. Another interesting aspect would be if you could take her soul (as a ghost) :shock: and get revenge on those who wronged you. Therewith, you can have 3 endings: Easy - You die and the story is over; Normal - You spare Dela's life, but the consequences of your actions leaves Parthyn crippled and the story ends bittersweet; Hard - You take her soul (and maybe those of the "foolish heroes") and wage an all-out war on a combined orc-human alliance that you CAN win and the story ends with your immortal being taking the fallen souls to a place of eternal torment (evil ending, btw... :wink: ) .
Theodore Roosevelt: "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

Ecclesiastes 10:2: "A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
vittorioveneto

Post by vittorioveneto »

The only problem with Dela is that most choose to eliminate her, so to make her appear in the last scenario, they would have to modify "Alone at Last" as well. Plus, in the storyline, it is also mentioned that her hometown (I can't recall the exact name) has been destroyed by orcs.

In truth, I have not yet died (I am facing the 700 coin orc) and so I cannot say anything about the conclusion. However, the orc hero mentions a bag of gold and I was wondering whether we could actually grab it.