Scenario Review: DiD 11 - Descent into Darkness

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DiD 11 - Descent into Darkness

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
miekka

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 11 - Descent into Darkness

Post by miekka »

1. easy
2. 7
3. clear enough
4. extremely interesting
5. trolls in general, particularly shamans
6. the start with the storyline deserves 9, for the rest it's 4
7. less bats
8. of course, the Lich's touch of death misses often
fareley

Post by fareley »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
hard, 1.5.3
well the many changes were confusing. First it was to gain strengh back (without a limit of rounds). So i rested until my Leader was healed... then moved on until suddenly a limit of rounds started. So i had to restart a few times until i fast fast enough...
Next point: kill the trolls. Which trolls? The pink ones or the blue ones? And my leader says he is not strong enough to defeat the owners of the cave - well, which trolls should i defeat now? That was really tough finding out that i just had to kill the enemies troll leader (which was only level 2... very shameful - he had a lot of level 3 units but himself he was only level 2...)
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
it was okay
finding out what i should do. They really were unclear. And i had problems with the cave - i needed the lich on both sides to kill enemies and gain villages and in the middle to spawn new fighter. So using my leader at the right place was really tough too. But the main problems were the scenario objectives...
8. It's a nice scenario (the woose was funny^^) but the late coming round limit was hard
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
clear objectives and i wasn't able to play the following scenario - it is missing! Well i'll try to reinstall now but i doubt it would work...
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
my leader died a lot of times trying to gain strengh as the scenario objectives requested... :roll:
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

fareley wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
well the many changes were confusing. First it was to gain strengh back (without a limit of rounds). So i rested until my Leader was healed... then moved on until suddenly a limit of rounds started. So i had to restart a few times until i fast fast enough...
Good point. I'll make it so that the number of turns that you've taken so far is added to the turn limit at that point.

I'm not sure what to do about the possibility of just rest-healing in the beginning. It's a bit cheap, but I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea to for example unexplainably turn off rest healing in the beginning...
fareley wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
clear objectives and i wasn't able to play the following scenario - it is missing! Well i'll try to reinstall now but i doubt it would work...
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21912

It's fixed in 1.5.4, or you can either get that or just apply the fix described in that thread.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Perhaps add in a slight sense of urgency that would forbid rest-healing? Because right now, while cheap, there's nothing storyline wise that makes it seem a bad idea :x
fareley

Post by fareley »

well maybe you can start with a time limit from the beginning - to rest means to waste a lot of time for 2 Lifepoints each turn... and as an explanation use some Orcs following finding his footsteps and coming into the cave... maybe he can "feel" it. And after a certain round you better should be on the other side of your self-made passage to close it again so no Orcs may follow you.
That would give the player the need to heal himself faster than just sitting and waiting
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21912

It's fixed in 1.5.4, or you can either get that or just apply the fix described in that thread.
thx
but 1.5.4 crashed too much so i'll try changing it manually

by the way: i played a few scenarios of this campaign in 1.5.4 and it was horrible. With the dead corpses costing 8 Gold instead of 7 some Scenarios only were horrible... Maybe you may give the player 1 village more or something like that because i think the first scenarios where you only can recruit dead corpses are too heavy at the moment with their higher costs...
ALX23

Post by ALX23 »

(8) Hard version 1.5.4: there was an event that caused a crash! :augh: Moving Mallin into the burning pit :twisted: (normal units simply die and you simply reload the game)

(4) it was awesome!!! :D but there was a small 'bug' when advison didn't disappear in darkness like everything else.
tvik

Post by tvik »

(1) Normal. 1.4.5
(2) 2. Bats were tough. After that... I mean... where's the problem in ambushing the leader with 2 nightgaunts ?
(3) At first I've killed the altar with magic and wandered around that small room for a bit... what tha heck... Am I supposed to die out of hunger here ?... Then it got clear.
(4) Nice. Transformation was cool.
(5) Bats. Understanding how to kill myself.
(6) 8.
(7) Umm... level 4 zombies ? ... :)
(8) Bats. Not understanding how to kill myself.
blue

Post by blue »

1. Evoker (Challenger) 1.6.4
2. 5
3. Clear
4. Very nice
5. None i left malin at the back and took down the trolls with 2 ghosts vs 1 at a time
6. 6
7. None
8. None
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

(1) medium, 1.6
(2) 5
(3) rather clear, I just thought I had to kill all the trolls there, not just their leader.
(4) nice... So that's how liches come into existence!
(5) being lucky enough in the beginning not to get killed by bats but to gain hp by them.
(6) 9, that idea of being a weak lich getting his hp by draining is really cool. Anyway, it depends on luck a bit too much.
(7) more rats and less bats in the beginning.
(8) Malin got killed by bats in the beginning.
(9) N/A
Syron

Post by Syron »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium - 1.6.4
5 - Average but no bored
Clear !
Very clear, and i had like the story !
When i must kill trolls in the cave with our lich ;)
New units :D
The scenario with our lich in the cave against troll
Author of:
- Two Opposing Powers
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Difficult (hard); 1.8.3; 595 starting gold

6 to win, 8 to win without losing any level 3 units. It would be very hard to win if you lost all your level 3 units in the previous scenario.

I think it said to clear the cave of trolls, whereas really the objective is to kill the troll leader.

Very good. However, why did Malin decide to kill himself to become a lich without first securing the cave?

I assume this scenario has been toughened since the above comments. When I tried to sneak a Nightgaunt past the trolls near the troll leader, they came running and the Nightgaunt ambushed. I had moved my units out of sight of the one spy Bat that I found, but I assume an unseen second spy Bat spotted one of my units. I almost lost the Nightgaunt plus another one that went to its rescue, and I did lose a heavily fed Necrophage (ouch!) Then rather than waiting for all my forces to heal, I pressed the battle towards the troll leader, only to have my lichy leader get surrounded and wailed on repeatedly by the troll leader, a troll shamen, and another troll. But Liches take a licking and keep on... liching.

It was a sloppy victory. I should have advanced more cautiously.

I'd like to see the rats have skirmishing ability. I mean, when you corner a mouse, it doesn't go "oh, you've got me ZOC locked" - it just disappears, zoom. Granted, these are giant rats, but still. Maybe have the rats run randomly and with skirmishing, if you can arrange it.

Death by Bat caused me to restart from turn 1 once.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
The comments keep talking about a Wose. In a cave? Well, I guess it could be, since Woses are not plants. But I didn't see it.
Attachments
DID-Descent_into_Darkness_replay.gz
(110.1 KiB) Downloaded 1556 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Hard, 109 starting gold

3, occasionally a unit got threatened, but I was never in real danger.

What I did was use my nightgaunts as nightstalking scouts to local trolls and then put bait out to lure them to attack me one at a time and killed them off. Don't think I ever had to fight more than one troll at a time.

Took me a little bit to realize I had a draining attack and that was how I was supposed to heal (I think it was when I got attacked).

Good.

Shamans were the biggest annoyance. Actually the Mose may have been the toughest opponent (and a surprise).

Nothing comes to mind.

no.

Seems well commented.
Attachments
DID-Descent_into_Darkness_replay.gz
(36.99 KiB) Downloaded 1040 times
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging (medium) 1.8.5

7 - This wasn't as bad as the the last scenario, although the trolls hit so hard that I lost two level 3 skeletal archers.

Clear.

A bit light at the end, I thought.

Not dying...

I finished in 32/60 rounds with 16 gold. I'll carry 286 gold into the next scenario.

7 - I would have liked a bit more gold for recruiting.

A bit more starting gold.

No, but I took casualties getting close to the lead troll.
bookie

Post by bookie »

Easy(not sure what you mean by version)
I thought you had to kill everything(more than one color) instead of just the blue leader. Also in the beginning you have unlimted turns(or so it appears) but then all of a sudden you have a limit
It was amazing actually one of the sadess stories I have seen so far.
The beginning was a bit challenging if your unlucky you can easily be bat food but then after that it was all easy.
cant think of any
the beginning I was killed by a bat. also I thought I had unlimited turns so I took my time to heal the second time only to find out I didnt have unlimited turns and ended up losing