Scenario Review: DiD 8 - A Small Favor - Part II

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pewskeepski

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 8 - A Small Favor - Part II

Post by Pewskeepski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Summoner (Difficult), 1.11.2

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
"Find" doesn't necessarily mean "Kill". It's also unclear that Malin or Darken have to find the exit.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None, I found him quickly.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7. I like this kind of scenario.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but whenever I opened a gate I had to move a nearby unit for the shroud to be removed. It should [redraw] when a gate is opened.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Malin was slain by Karres the first time I found him.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Could use a few comments about how the random mage placement works.
Attachments
DiD-A_Small_Favor_—_Part_2_replay.gz
(24.24 KiB) Downloaded 1346 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.10.2 Summoner (difficult) – no reloads

3/10 Harder if you lost units during the previous scenario.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not much going on.

None.

4/10 I am not a fan of rpg-ish dungeon fighting, so this level didn't really appeal to me. But I was able to utilize Walking Corpses (which is always fun) and the scenario itself was fairly short.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Your Walking Corpses don't carry over. Makes me sad.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I didn't expect the Grand Mage to hide in this remote ancillary room, so I just sent one hero down there and the remaining army north. Didn't go well.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6 - Not really difficult in itself. The real difficulty is about winning without losing much units, knowing that only your surviving units will be present at the following scenario.
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, quite simple.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The only way to heal damaged units is to leave them resting, which restores them 2 puny health points per round.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I miss some dialog with Karres, which might serve also as foreshadow for the story development.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.11.15.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) I'll grudgingly give it a 7, because you can lose to the boss dude or due to time, but otherwise it is not hard. It is hard to avoid losing a single unit, however.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Silver Mages and the boss dude are dangerous, especially with supporting units.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 4. I agree with others about the D&D style rooms being silly.
(7) Changes? It would be really spooky if the occupants in the adjacent rooms would awake, open the doors, and come in to attack. You'd have to reduce the number of enemies slightly, of course. As it is, I think the enemy will stay put even in the same room, if it's a large distance.
(8) Restarts? No restarts. No save-reloads.
Attachments
DiD-A_Small_Favor_—_Part_2_replay.gz
(65.36 KiB) Downloaded 770 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

1.10.4, hard (Summoner) - 2 Nightgaunts, 1 shadow, 1 spectre, 1 wraith (+ made some WCs for cannon fodder)

8 - pretty hard since mages are so good against ghosts. And there's no way to heal, and time is short.

Not clear! I thought you just had to kill the mage, but suddenly you have to go to the NW tunnel. This is really not nice as the turn limit is relatively short. I barely made it (moved there on turn 25/25). You need to tell the player from the beginning that they need to escape too so they can plan, or else add turns when the objective changes.

Fine.

Finishing on time. It would not have been as much of an issue if I had known beforehand that the objectives would change.

7 - Pretty fun.

Extend the turn limit when the objectives change, or have the objectives say "and find the exit" from the beginning.
Maybe some way to heal too?

Yes, got off to a bad start the first time - missed 9/9 backstabs + 4/4 spectre hits on a 40% def. wounded mage, which then killed a nightgaunt the next turn (the mage's hits seemed to work just fine....), so I restarted from beginning. I think that was the worst turn I have ever had in all my time playing Wesnoth!
Then I almost lost on time but barely finished on turn 25. No save loads.
czarkoff

Post by czarkoff »

Easy, 1.12.2.

Clear.

Not much talking here, actually.

None. Only a handful of enemies had a chance to strike back.

2. Mostly a point-and-click exercise.

It is probably good as is, as it gives opportunity to level up forces before confronting Darken Volk, paladins and outlaws.

No.
Attachments
08.gz
(35.91 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Medium. Wesnoth 1.10.5, iOS iPad 1.0.4 (replay uploads and downloads not available as of yet)

5. Finished turn 16. No loses of important units.

not very. I almost ran out of turns because it was not mentioned in the beginning that we would have to go to that tunnel. I was in the middle and had to hurry.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Clear.

preparing my units for what is on the other side of the gate. Planning ahead when entering a room. Not losing key units.

8. I thought it was fun to open gates, not knowing what was behind the door!

Put enemy units in all of the rooms to make it more fun. (Some were empty).
Something like a spider or drake rushing out would have been fun!

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? no
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
Entengelaende

Post by Entengelaende »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Hard, 1.12.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 8
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Okay
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Killing Karras without losing valuable units
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 9
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No
Britannicus

Post by Britannicus »

Challenging, Version 1.12.6

Highly dependent on luck. Once you figure out roughly how the patterns work and adjust to it, around 5.

Very clear. Find and kill the mage, then get out.

Okay, kinda disappointing considering how good dialog and story are in the rest of the campaign.

Not losing any units while levelling the few non-maxed units I had brought with me.

8. Little bit of hide and seek is always fun.

I would have liked either a larger map or some more opposition towards the exit. It was a bit anticlimactic to just walk out after dispatching the one royal guard.

Stupidly losing Darken once.
Attachments
DiD-A_Small_Favour_—_Part_2_replay.gz
(41.15 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
Ant_Slime

Post by Ant_Slime »

Summoner (Challenging), 1.13.10

NA

NA

Cannot pass through either gate (impassable) or go down the hallway (leads to edge of map)

NA

Instructions on how to open the gate (assuming this is not a bug in the in-development version)

Cannot progress beyond starting room
dleducq

Post by dleducq »

Hi,
I'm playing Wesnoth 1.13.10, and I'm stuck in this scenario : the doors in the manor don't open.
Seems the macro MANOR_DOORS needs to be updated to take into account the new (directional) terrain strings for gates
(Prg -> Pr/|\, Prgo -> Prg/|\o), which is done in the map but not in the code...
Regards,
Dom

Edit : fixed in 1.13.11 Thx!! :D

Code: Select all

The Battle for Wesnoth version 1.13.10
Running on Fedora release 27 (Twenty Seven)

Game paths
==========

Data dir:        /usr/share/wesnoth
User config dir: /home/dleducq/.config/wesnoth
User data dir:   /home/dleducq/.local/share/wesnoth/1.13
Saves dir:       /home/dleducq/.local/share/wesnoth/1.13/saves
Add-ons dir:     /home/dleducq/.local/share/wesnoth/1.13/data/add-ons
Cache dir:       /home/dleducq/.cache/wesnoth

Libraries
=========

Boost:             1.64
OpenSSL/libcrypto: 1.1.0f  (runtime 1.1.0g)
Cairo:             1.15.8  (runtime 1.15.10)
Pango:             1.40.12 (runtime 1.40.13)
SDL:               2.0.6   (runtime 2.0.7)
SDL_image:         2.0.1   (runtime 2.0.2)
SDL_mixer:         2.0.1   (runtime 2.0.2)
SDL_ttf:           2.0.14  (runtime 2.0.14)
libpng:            1.6.31  (runtime 1.6.31)

Features
========

Experimental OpenMP support:    no
PNG screenshots:                yes
Lua console completion:         no
Legacy bidirectional rendering: yes
D-Bus notifications back end:   no
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Challenging, Version 1.14.1

Very.

Not bad, but no masterpiece.

Properly rotating my units to soak damage up.

5, but I've probably played this scenario too many times and this one does not have a high replayabilty factor.

A somewhat more random map.

Not rotating safely enough. :/
Attachments
DiD-A Small Favor — Part 2 replay.gz
(24.67 KiB) Downloaded 699 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear

- There isn't much, but that little of dialogue is pretty good.

- Trying to avoid being roasted by mages or pummeled by heavy infatrymen

- I'd go with this scenario being based off on stealth, indicating that they should not slaughter everyone on their way until Karres is down

- No
Mawmoocn

Post by Mawmoocn »

1.12.6, Hard, Bat and loyal units only gameplay

Clear

Well it was really fun opening doors, it kinda feels like an RPG, which is fun!

No unit death, finding the great mage, and trying to avoid Malin to take any damage to use him as a tank for one turn, as bats and his teacher can’t fully tank his full damage (if it happens).

Mages clumped in a room with no room to damage them due to ZoC.

Make his teacher useless! You probably have units to deal with the whole map and making him really weak and useless would satisfy Malin’s suffering for his treacherous schemes.

Joking aside, I think it’s fine as it is.

Malin damaged since I can’t let other units tank a Great Mage’s damage.
Any unit death.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.6, Summoner (Challenging)

4-7, depending on how well you know the map.

Clear.

Clear.

Not opening too many rooms at once.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
DiD-A Small Favour — II replay 20201119-181728.gz
(33.03 KiB) Downloaded 293 times