Scenario Review: SotBE 17 - Human Horde

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SotBE 17 - Human Horde

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
sabalzen

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 17 - Human Horde

Post by sabalzen »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easiest setting, 1.6
Impossible if you follow the scenario objectives, relatively easy if you don't :D
Not clear - the characters' dialogue would suggest you are expected to attack, but the scenario objectives say hold out as long as possible, which of course suggests you are supposed to defend. First time through, I followed the stated objectives, and defended. I got slaughtered, as the humans really get a lot of reinforcements. Second time through I ignored the objectives and sent my entire army at the human fort and took the Earl down on turn 7.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The campaign storyline is pretty good, there isn't all that much in this scenario though.
I found it impossible to defend against endless waves of level 2 and 3 units. My allies were cut to ribbons by the first wave. I don't have a clue how it could be possible to beat this scenario by staying put and defending, by mid-way, you are outnumbered about 10 to 1 by better quality troops.
5, there's nothing very much to think about once you've decided to attack or defend.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it clearer that you are supposed to go for all out attack, or give the allied orcs more gold (or both!)
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yes, the human reinforcements are way too strong for it to be possible to defend out the turns.
Darkaros

Post by Darkaros »

Easiest (Challenging), 1.6
...A 2. All I did was recall my strongest veterans in anticipation of a difficult, bloodthirsty siege. I hid them right behind my allies' sides on Dusk, letting them human shield themselves, and on First Watch, I basically slaughtered the humans. Slurbows to melee units, Warlords/Troll Warriors to ranged units, and Flankers/Direwolves to Mages/Calvary. Honestly, by Second Watch, none of my veterans were dead and yet most of the attacking army + some of the front guards had been killed. The human leader actually tried to attack a Flanker outside of the fort, failing to kill it and exposing himself. He was quickly mobbed to death, and I won by turn 7, barely after the humans spawned at the bottom.
Very clear, if the map didn't even have dialog, I could've figured out what to do.
Meh, the setup of the map itself and the storyline/dialog from the scenarios before already make me know what to expect.
There were none, at all.
8. I liked the tactical plan I made.
None I can see, it was enjoyable.
Nope. Course, this was easist difficulty.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? 1.7.1 medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 8 with high losses; impossible otherwise
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Fine.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? The reinforcements.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 2
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? I think the reinforcements are too much.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? The first time my strategy was recruit veterans, march behind the allies and then swoop in for the kill. This didn't work. What happened was that the march took until daylight, I was able to stop the first wave of reinforcements but that weakened me too much to deal with the second wave. Game over.

The way I beat this was to spend every bit of gold I could. I recruited all my veterans and then tons of new recruits. Mixed between cannon fodder and trying to level them. I got slightly fortunate on turn 13 as the Earl came a little bit out of his keep and I was able to pick him off.

I don't like the levels where there are 60+ units on the map.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

medium, 1.6

7 to survive
9 -without losing most veterans
10+ -without losing your allies.
attacking: ~7

clear

Not much talking, but not that clear, it sounds a bit like Kapo'e wants to attack.
Storyline is straightforward until that other human arrives.

Extremely strong reinforcemets for my enemy (troops + gold), stupid allies.
In my first attempt, I recalled all veterans I had and mainly tried to hold the outer wall with some attacks at night. Around turn 15, I had to retreat to the inner wall and in the end, only Kapo'e, Grüü and a warlord, that was recruited as grunt some 15 turns ago, were left and I had no gold.
In my second attempt, I played more offensive in the beginning, defeating the first wave, and retreated earlyer (~ turn 12). This way, most veterans survived (but still hardly any gold left). Only problem: when I retreat, my allies don't join my in my center castle, but go for a mad dash and, of course, die.
Third attempt: recalled every veteran I had in turn 1, using center and wall keep, spent all my gold the second turn using two wall keeps and rushed, attacking at dusk. By turn 6, Lanbech made the deadly mistake to attack personally. (If he would have retreated towards the arriving, he may have won.) => not many losses, some leveling, allies living, 400+ gold. :D

6. really challenging

Cleverer allies :-( or maybe put their base inside the inner wall?
And, I think, just the troops without gold would be enough reinforcement for the enemy.

Loss of many veterans, see (5).

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A

EDIT: third attempt
calmon

Post by calmon »

1.7.12 on hardest difficult
v. hard
clear
its ok
not losing all troops AND prevent ally to self destruct
Set the ally fortress more into th north of the city because you're forced to fight on first city wall because ally leaders make suicide attacks
The biggest problem is that you need to fight on the first wall the whole battle because you can't prevent the ally leaders to move out of the castles and attack an opponents in range = dead of ally = loss of game.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

Please set the ally fortresses a lot more into the north to stop this stupid suicide attack. The scenario is very hard enough on highest difficult level! (only losses in 6 tries)
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.4, Warrior (Difficult), i.e. (what I consider) Normal difficulty

2 if you don’t care about losses, 3 to 4 if you want to avoid significant casualties.

Now that I think about it: Not really clear. I just assumed that killing the enemy leader would be enough, and did just that.

Good, with a nice little twist at the end.

The level 3 enemy guards and not losing many units. If I had taken longer to kill the enemy leader the reinforcements would have been a problem too, but I was fast enough to avoid dealing with the reinforcements.

8 – nice little bloodbath *evil grin*

Make it clear that killing the enemy leader is also an option

Extremely bad luck made me restart a couple of turns. Apart from that – nothing.
Attachments
SotBE-Човешката_атака_повторение.gz
(50.99 KiB) Downloaded 861 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Nightmare; 1.9.2; 564 starting gold (minimum is 400)

Totally vague. "Hold off the humans". Should add "until end of turns" plus "Alternate victory: defeat Earl Whatshisface".

Complicated and not very interesting. It felt contrived that my killing blow on the Earl was negated and he was restored to full HP later in the dialog.

I attacked and crushed the enemy forces. Then the Earl got reinforcements while he simultaneously recruited on every hex! That seemed like it tripled his force in an instant. It was rough going. I lost a Great Troll. Finally, the Earl darted out again, and this time I had enough force in the area to take him down.

Probably should make the Earl stationary. That would have put me in a tough spot. Also reduce the number of his recruiting hexes.

No.

There are no comments.

Replay comes up corrupt, so not attached.
Faello

Post by Faello »

Nightmare (Warlord), 1.8.5, no saves/reloads, 568 starting gold (+ 925 allies gold)

It's a wannabe-survival scenario that in fact can be played as a push&pull battle. It's truly epic considering the fact that total Great Horde forces in my game were worth about 1500gp at the beginning and Earl Lanbec'h gets initial 1000gp and another 800gp+200gp in standing reinforcements another three times during this scenario (turns 7, 13 and 19 - always at the dawn) thus it's about 1500gp + income vs +4000gp loyalist army battle :twisted:

First several turns are very easy - you just need to push and use your allies units to kill as much as you can, later it's a good idea to steal Al'Brock and Flar'Tar villages, since our allied warlords like to waste their gold pieces on useless wolves that mess with the flow of enemy attack, that should be fluid for the sake of good planning :) If things will get hot, player can summon some lvl2 and 3's but grunts as always should be the core of players army.

It's also important to notice that enemy unit waves almost always reach Dorset walls at dusk, so most of the combat takes place in the favourable, chaotic powerphase.

I was able to slice&dice Earl to 0hp in the last turn, but it was bloody battle 8)

36 deaths, 104 kills + allied d/k

They're clear, more or less Earl can't be decisively defeated in this scenario for the sake of final campaign scenario (still, it was good to beat him up to 0hp :P )

It's clear and quite interesting, but considering the size of the battle and size of the allied orcish forces, it would be nice to add some comments from Flar'Tar and Al'Brock.

Keeping my veterans alive.

It's a long but very interesting advance&retreat/defensive battle scenario, perfect for training some manouvers, there'a also a lot of killing in this one too :mrgreen:

No changes, it's great as it is.

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
SotBE-The_Human_Attack_replay.gz
Human Attack replay, Nightmare (Warlord) difficulty level, 1.8.5, no saves/reloads
(114.79 KiB) Downloaded 903 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Warrior, 1.8.5
(2) 6. Completed on the second attempt on turn 12, with the loss of one L3 unit. Starting gold 555.
(3) Clear.
(4) Good.
(5)
I was sitting comfortably, manning the walls of Dorset and watching the fight in the plain below. The allies were kicking ass so well that I thought I should set off in pursuit before they won it for me. Then, BAM, 1000GP of reinforcements show up, with my forces in the middle of the plain. Fortunately the newcomers mostly went for my allies, and when the second night came my troops broke through their weakened units and killed the enemy commander. But 1 more turn and I would have struggled to survive against another 1000GP of reinforcements.

I did not recruit enough units for tackling heavy infantry. The defensive terrain near the enemy is not ideal for me; and defending until they exhausted themselves was not a playable strategy anyway.

I really didn't know how to play the level initially; I was expecting defence and had a total change of plan on turn 3-4 when it became apparent that defence was not needed, and again on turn 7 when I realised that a knock-out attack might be the only way to win in a sensible time.

(6) 5.

On the positive side, this level achieves what few do: it is a big battle that forces the player to attack. Usually a Wesnoth level involves defending a good line in the terrain for 3-5 turns and, once the flood of enemies subsides, then sweep over to the enemy keep. By having such huge reinforcements arriving, the player has to attack, and to attack in the teeth of some serious enemy troops.

On the downside, the plot and setup of this level (bear in mind that the entire campaign has been building up to this scenario, the big human invasion) has set it up as a defence-against-the-big-human-attack, and instead it turns into an attacking level. This seemed strange. It is also a level where a player could easily play the wrong strategy and have to replay, although that did not happen to me.

I'm not a fan of levels with really big camps like this, I feel that makes for less interesting terrain.

I'm also not keen on levels where I end up having to play like the AI plays: overstretched attacking, trying to kill as much as possible and accepting some losses in return. I also dislike that I was overstretched on several turns and knew that I could lose experienced units, but got away with it because the allies were more exposed so the enemy went after them; I don't like playing in a way that intentionally risks my experienced units. But I guess it doesn't hurt me to be a bit less defensive once in a while :-).

This type of level highlights the AI's limited tactics; the enemy would be much better off defending, and if they just stuck lots of shock troopers in the camp tiles and defended then they would be tough as hell to beat.

(7)
* try to change the story, or reposition this level in the campaign, so this isn't the much-hyped defence-against-the-horde scenario.
* change the dialogue in the scenario itself to explain that the humans have a strong force already but that more will be arriving every day, so the player knows up front and can recruit accordingly.
* give the enemy more gold to begin with, so the allies don't just walk all over the first wave and do need the player to help; and give the allies a bit more income or reduce the enemy reinforcements to keep the balance.

(8) I lost Kapou'e once, to poor placement.
cph

Post by cph »

I've been thinking about this one some more.
cph wrote: (6) 5.

On the positive side, this level achieves what few do: it is a big battle that forces the player to attack. Usually a Wesnoth level involves defending a good line in the terrain for 3-5 turns and, once the flood of enemies subsides, then sweep over to the enemy keep. By having such huge reinforcements arriving, the player has to attack, and to attack in the teeth of some serious enemy troops.
That's really positive, and I stand by it. But I think the 5/10 is right too, so I need a better explanation of what it was that made me not really like this level. I gave some reasons but none of those are really major things.

I think the main problem is that I spent 6-7 turns watching allies fight, then had to drag my large army across the plain without much fighting to do, and then had only really 2 turns of frantic fighting at the end of it. The ratio of walking to fighting is too high.

The next level, despite having an even longer watching-allies-fight period before you get stuck in, worked as a better version of this level (albeit it suffered from being a rerun of this one, and with the weaker enemy it didn't have the pressure on the player that forced the strategy in this one).

I think my ideas for improving it would make me like it more; no guarantees whether anyone else would :-). If the dialogue really hammered home that your allies are strong but the enemy are expecting huge reinforcements and you have to all out attack asap then I might have recruited a small elite army, ridden the wave of allies and struck for the leader on day 1; and I would have had no complaints.
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Faello wrote:Earl Lanbec'h gets initial 1000gp and another 800gp+200gp in standing reinforcements another three times during this scenario (turns 7, 13 and 19 - always at the dawn)
Actually, Lanbec'h was supposed to get reinforcements on the last dawn as well, but the line reads name=25 instead of name=turn 25.

I finished off Lanbec'h a couple turns early after noticing he hadn't gotten his last round of reinforcements, and didn't realize that was a bug until I looked at the scenario file.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Groggy_Dice wrote:
Faello wrote:Earl Lanbec'h gets initial 1000gp and another 800gp+200gp in standing reinforcements another three times during this scenario (turns 7, 13 and 19 - always at the dawn)
Actually, Lanbec'h was supposed to get reinforcements on the last dawn as well, but the line reads name=25 instead of name=turn 25.

I finished off Lanbec'h a couple turns early after noticing he hadn't gotten his last round of reinforcements, and didn't realize that was a bug until I looked at the scenario file.
Good catch; fixed.
line

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 17 - Human ATTACK

Post by line »

Warlord (Nightmare) 1.10.3
501 starting gold (allies: 464/461), enemy: 1000
Finished turn 7/30

4. It was very easy. The only difficulty faced, was to give xp to my recruits. I think my allies had way too much money, so we ran over the humans.

{ALBROCK_SIDE}
{GOLD 300 250 200} It should have been 200 gold for each ally – is that a bug or is there any sort of carryover for the allies?

Faello had obviously the same starting gold for both allies as me:
Faello wrote: (+ 925 allies gold)
Not clear. What means: “Hold off the humans”? Do I lose once a human steps into my castle? I couldn’t find anything to clarify in the file, so it seems that only the death conditions can make me lose. So in fact, the scenario objective is “Survive until the turns run out”.
There should be another losing condition like in the 1st scenario of “Descent into Darkness”, where you lose, once the orcs break your defences:
[objective]
condition=lose
description=_ "Orcs break through the river fort defenses"
[/objective]

“This name sounds oddly familiar” is a very poor reaction if you actually realised, who was involved in your father’s death.

Distributing xp.

9,5. Even without the strong allies it would have been interesting and challenging to approach to the Earl’s keep and lure out the units defending it.
Having the strong allies, it was quite easy to hammer everyone down and again the enemy leader was forthcoming and left his keep.

Weaker allies.

None.

Edit: Scenario is named Human Attack, not Human Horde
Attachments
SotBE-The_Human_Attack_replay.gz
(63.43 KiB) Downloaded 795 times
Anonymus

Post by Anonymus »

Easiest

1, Lanbec'h had 800 starting gold, me 762 and the other orcs 821 and 826. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had to recruit anything, but I recruited grunts in the first turn anyway. Nearly Killed enemy leader in turn 7 who survived with 1hp before the scenario ended, so his reinforcements were useless.

very clear

very clear and interesting

none

3, I love slaying humans, but it was just too easy

less gold for me and my allies. I think the allies could use my recall list, which made my a little angry beacause they killed some high-lvl units. Also don't let the enemy leader go away from his keep, I nearly killed him.

no

don't know
Attachments
SotBE_Human_Attack_Replay.gz
(66.14 KiB) Downloaded 865 times
Evolve Cloning Era, done by me
We are anonymous, we are legion.
We will not forgive, we will not forget.
Expect us.