Scenario Review: SotBE 8 - Silent Forest

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SotBE 8 - Silent Forest

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
psvensson

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 8 - Silent Forest

Post by psvensson »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

The easiest, challenging. Wesnoth ver. 1.4.3

2, very easy.

Clear, but I wasn't sure how I could "capture" an elf.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It was OK. The prisoner exchange livened up an otherwise humdrum scenario.

None.

3. At this point in the campaign, this sort of scenario seems like a retread.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

The scenario needs more of a "hook" took make it interesting, like some unusual tactical situation. Otherwise, it could be cut from the campaign. At minimum, the elves could be beefed up. It pitted lvl 1s against my lvl 3s.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

Unfamiliar with WML.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Warlord (Nightmare) 1.5.7

2. Level 1 elf units versus my level 3s. Granted that I did not have much money to recall, only 6 units (plus main char and hero), and I still managed to wipe the floor with the elves in a third of the turns given.

Crystal.

Pretty good, the bit with capturing the prisoner for information was a nice change.

None.

5. It was fun to test out my army against the elves, but the fact that I could trump them rather easily made it fairly simple. The map was designed well though, which was nice.

Woses. Hidden surprises in the forest. ;)

None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
silent

Post by silent »

Warrior (difficult) 1.6
8. Scout spam and assassination of the shamans really annoys me. Hit and hope in the forest isn't fun either
Clear
I liked the prisoner capture and the brutality of the orcs in killing him eventually. Ironic that I had poisoned the elf before I captured him which added to the several hours later bit
30% chance to hit elves in forest.
2. I'll explain in the next bit
Yes. The paths need to be at least 2 hexes wide otherwise it is very difficult to get close to the elves, without risking important veterans
scout spam finding my shamans
N/A
Egosnemesis

Post by Egosnemesis »

The easiest, "Challenging". Played on Wesnoth 1.6

5. Elves are always a pain in the forest. Once again, trolls to the rescue.

Clear

I thought it was a very good way of working elves into the mix.

The enemy didn't have much gold on this difficulty setting. I had some difficulty getting the elves out of the forest, but it could've been a lot worse.

7. Good way to introduce elves and I liked splitting up the 2 leaders.

None

No

N/A
Arnaudus

Post by Arnaudus »

Challenging (the easiest one), 1.7.1

3. Not much of a challenge here.

Kill everyone. Difficult to miss the point.

I was annoyed by the fog. In the desert, the fog was justified, but in the forest, I could not really see the point. We are said that there are probably renegate elves in the forest, and the objectives are "kill the elvlish leaders"; this does not really look "probable" this way :-)

There is something weird that is probably difficult to fix. The first guy that we kill is supposed to be tortured beforehand, but in the dialog, its portrait is still "normal". This was particularly shocking for be because I had to torture a poor shaman (shawoman? :-) ), and elvish shaman portraits are very graceful. Clearly, one would expect a bit more blood after a few hours or torture, right? I think the portrait should not be displayed.

Elvish archers in the forest can be lucky for a long time, and the progression is slowed down. Otherwise, nothing exceptional.

3. I must say, this looks like one of the less interesting scenario of the campaign. We don't see anything, there is no challenge, just find the two archers lost somewhere in the forest, encircle them and hit until it takes damage.

I think the fog is unnecessary. The scenario could be more interesting if something was supposed to happen, such as neutral woses ambushing anyone, something happening when killing the first leader...

No.

--
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Warrior the meduim level. Wesnoth 1.6.4

3, Easy.

I understood what to do.

I found a problem with the dialog, If kapoue kills the hostage elf then he will talk to himself and ask himself what should I do with this guy, then he says behead him.

Hitting the elves in the forest and fighting the leader.

8. It was really fun and I thought kapoue talking to himself was funny but I think it should be changed if he is the one to kill the elf because I like making kapoue fight alot to get AMLA's

Maybe if there was another leader on the right side because its not very well guarded, I sent a couple direwolfs on the right side and I killed the level 3 leader fast

No.

The only thing I see is that kapoue talks to himself and I think it should be changed if kapoue makes the killing blow he should say something new.
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Warrior the meduim level. Wesnoth 1.6.4

3, Easy.

I understood what to do.

I found a problem with the dialog, If kapoue kills the hostage elf then he will talk to himself and ask himself what should I do with this guy, then he says behead him.

Hitting the elves in the forest and fighting the leader.

8. It was really fun and I thought kapoue talking to himself was funny but I think it should be changed if he is the one to kill the elf because I like making kapoue fight alot to get AMLA's

Maybe if there was another leader on the right side because its not very well guarded, I sent a couple direwolfs on the right side and I killed the level 3 leader fast

No.

The only thing I see is that kapoue talks to himself and I think it should be changed if kapoue makes the killing blow he should say something new.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

medium, 1.6

crystal.

nice, as dialogues are in general in this scenario. Realistic orcish behaviour.

The fact that elves in the forest could hardly be hit. As the elves arent really strong, this mainly takes time.

6 nice landscape!

A bit stronger enemys, maybe woses as third party attacking from somewhere you don't see them coming.

no.

N/A
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.3, Warrior (Difficult), i.e. (what I consider) Normal difficulty

2, and only because of the level 2s and the Woses.

Clear

Fine, but there’s a problem: the scene with the captured elf triggered BEFORE the scene where I am told I have to capture an elf. So I was told I need to capture someone after I had done it already.

Also, in the sentence “Now we're going to have some some answers out of you." There should be one less ‘some’.

Avoiding casualties, since I had only a few units.

5 – nothing special

Change the WML so that you will not get the scene with the captured elf until you have sighted the elves and are told to capture one.

No, the elves were hardly a challenge.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
santosis

Post by santosis »

Difficult, 1.8.5

6 - another one-timer, with one reload on the final round (went 0/4, didn't want to lose a lvl 3 rider).

Clear. Hunt and kill the rabbits.

Fine.

None really, but I recruited well. I created a keep's worth of lvl1 assassins. I sent them south with the hero troll. Their poison rocked the elves; the troll smashed the leftovers. I sent 2 level 3 riders east and then south. The enemy leader was stupid enough to ride out and attack me at night. I reduced her to 8 hp, then retreated north during the day. I rode south and finished her off the next night.

I finished in round 13/38 with 94 gold and will bring 317 gold into the next scenario. I can only assume that the large gold pile means an epic grind is on the horizon.

8 - I enjoyed it--although, as I suggested above, I am expecting such an easy scenario is setting up a very difficult conflict.

Probably good as is.

Unlucky last turn.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Nightmare; 1.9.2; 104 starting gold

4. Finished 16 turns early. No reloads at any time in the campaign.

Clear.

Good, but the post-torture dialog was much too coherent and polite.

Two heroes in woods and ambushing Woses.

9, despite being easy.

Make AI defensive. Why does an Elvish Shaman melee attack a great troll, in the open no less? Why does a critically injured Elvish Rider run away one turn, but then attack the next? He would have been a pain if he healed to >80% HP and returned or had ran around capturing my villages.

No.

As usual, there are no comments.
Attachments
SotBE-Silent_Forest_replay.gz
(37.81 KiB) Downloaded 1024 times
Faello

Post by Faello »

Nightmare (Warlord), 1.8.5, no saves/reloads, 100 starting gold

2 losses, 20 kills in this one, also finished 19 turns before the turn limit :!:

Crystal clear.

It was quite good, I'd add a few more lines of dialogue, this scenario has a lot of potential.

Keeping my high level units alive in the S-W part of the map

7. Could be more!

Make it harder. Raise the minimum starting gold to 150 in this scenario and add more opponents. It's a huge, nice map, could be a great battlefield for a bigger battle than it is now.

Otherwise, cut the turn limit a bit (even if some gp bonus is necessary to pass the next scenario, 281 additional gold pieces I've received seems to be a lot)

Losing Jetto and one of the shamans once, due to the reckless moves.

Replay attached.
Attachments
SotBE-Silent_Forest_replay.gz
Nightmare (Warlord), 1.8.5, Silent Forest replay
(28.94 KiB) Downloaded 912 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Warrior 1.8.5.
(2) 3
(3) Clear.
(4) Good.
(5) The only danger was the still-weak orc shamans, since you cannot lose them and the elves can jump through the woods at them. Otherwise, the elves were too thinly spread to be a real threat, and I managed to get most of them to fight in the open. Also, I didn't think about woses and hadn't recruited any archers (came in with min gold), so the woses hurt.
(6) 6
(7) It is good as it is.
(8) Hmm, I think I did lose a shaman at one point, can't remember for sure. Certainly close on a couple of occasions.
Cel

Post by Cel »

1.) 1.8.6, challenging

2.) 5

3.) clear

4.) interesting

5.) To protect hurted units from the Elvish Riders.

6.) 8

7.) The North-Eastern part of the map wasn't used for anything.

8.) no
sorry for my English...