Scenario 8: Ur Thorodor

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario Review: DM 8 - Ur Thorodor

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Most difficult; 1.8.3; 100 starting gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Pretty clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
To supplement Delfador and the general, I recalled two white mages, one red mage, one regular mage, and one swordsman. Then I banzai charged them. They steam rollered everything. Who knew Woses were wusses?

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No ideas.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
DM-Ur-Thorodor_replay.gz
(17.06 KiB) Downloaded 831 times
Thrash

Re: Scenario Review: DM 8 - Ur Thorodor

Post by Thrash »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.8.4, Hard, minimum gold (100)

Clear, but it's always a little unsettling in that you don't know what's going to happen when you get to the castle - does the scenario end, can I rush my mage in ahead? Or will things get nasty?

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I'm not following all of Delafor's motivations here. He seems to have wandered off mission, I think.

Landing on the island with bad terrain and gryphons ever circling. I made the mistake of recalling a lvl 1 mage thinking Woses would make good target practice, but that was a mistake. I was constantly having to protect him from the Gryphons and turns out mages make good targets for Woses as well. Next time I'd leave him and bring a sturdy knight or Javilineer.

7, short and sweet.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Fine for what it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

First time I landed on the island I did it badly in terms of my formation lose several units, so I restarted all the wiser.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

The final bit with the orc and goblin could use some commenting.
Attachments
DM-Ur-Thorodor_replay.gz
(18.1 KiB) Downloaded 878 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 8: Ur Thorodor

Post by santosis »

Medium, 1.8.5

7 - Next to impossible to finish without casualty.

Clear. Get to the castle.

Strong.

I had to sacrifice a lvl 2 swordsman, and it took about 8 reloads to survive.

8 - Cool, I think the scenarios in this campaign have great pacing and change it up. Very refreshing.

Cool how it is.

Deaths.
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

Easy
Crystal
Crystal and on a scale of 1-10, 8.
The griffin who flies to the left.
Have more than one route to victory.
No.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Bonus info:
I had Delf up to lvl 3 and had two white mages, a red mage, a knight, and a cavalryman. I ended up losing my red mage to the griffins after he burned 3 woses down. All others survived and I won by turn 7.
dsa

Post by dsa »

Hard, 1.9.3

3, Knights just rule here with their high impact protection. Recalling one castle of units, including 3 knights, was therefore enough. I did not even spend 69 pieces of my starting gold and managed to finish by turn 6.

Clear, although I felt a bit uneasy, that something unexpected happens.

Good.

None.

6, too easy and short.

Can't think of anything.

No.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (178 gold)

Clear enough.

Good.

None, really.

7: It can be quite satisfying to play a scenario were you just slaughter a couple enemies, move the hero somewhere, and win!

Give Ur Throrodor some guards.

No, but I lost a "Ready to level" mage because Ur Thorodor left his keep like I thought he wouldn't.

Only a few comments.

(10) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
The map is small, which makes this scenario easy. If it was bigger, (Put Delfador father away from the woses) it'd be harder.
Attachments
DM-Ur-Thorodor_replay.gz
(20.39 KiB) Downloaded 856 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, 100 gp, no reloads

"6" to win w/o veteran losses. I recalled white and red mages, a knight and recruited a cavalry as cannon fodder. Then I moved that cavalry into the water, luring and killing the gryphons on the 2nd turn. Proceeding further, killed some woses and reached the castle.

clear, though I did not understand why can't I just stand close to the ancient wose, but have to move into his castle.

fine, but I'm still guessing why the ancient wose suddenly said "ah now I see you are a totally different kind of human. please pass"

keeping valuable units alive, the biggest problem is enemies can deliver a healthy damage plus you attack them from the water.

maybe "4", it's fine but I have some "dislike" feeling. In particular, I don't enjoy killing those who are supposed to be my allies.

probably you can't make it any better w/o a complete rework. It's a more realistic objective to reach the castle w/o killing a single wose, but as I said I can't imagine doing it without a huge rework

restarted a few times b/c of losing a critical/good unit
Attachments
DM-Ur-Thorodor_replay.gz
(23.71 KiB) Downloaded 699 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 6 i guess, but it was highly variable, i'll explain why.
Objectives: 100% clear, but a bit awkward. This was already mentioned, but the fact that Ur can move from his keep makes it weird. The turn before i won, he was actually right in front of delf, swinging at him. I actually moved a few spaces further away from him to be able to talk to him, instead of just doing it when we were face-to-face.... which is just weird.
Dialogue: Decent.
Challenges: Because the enemy recruits a bunch of high level units, the player is forced to recruit levels to match. This is further amplified by the lack of gold. I basically had a small killing force of leveled mages for firepower, and some calvary to tank. The calvary got wiped out easily, so i just had a red mage, white mage, delf, and lion, to take down the woses. I didn't want to lose any of them, so i kept doing a lot of loading to stop the enemies' lucky hit streaks. Because the player can only get about 1 castle full of units, putting delf as a front-line fighter is pretty much a must. Also the gryphons were completely unexpected. I recruited units that would be good against woses, and now suddenly he has birds.
Fun: 7
Changes: Make the enemy leader "rooted" to his keep (ba dum tss).
Reloads: About 5 times, delf kept dying because i had to put him as one of the front-line fighters and for some reason the enemy loved to gank him.
Fate is against me.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.10.3. Minimal gold. When you take out the gryphons first Ur-Thorodor will sent woses to grab villages, this makes the scenario much easier. (Played with red, silver, white mage, swordsman and royal guard as recalls.)

I don't like it very much. It isn't much fun, when you have to go to the castle of Ur-Thorodor while he is standing next to you, attacking you... please change the aim to: move Delfador to a hex adjacent to Ur-Thorodor or something. What is the point with the castle if Ur-Thorodor is leaving and attacking even Delfador. Or isn't Delfador able to improvise his speech in the forest?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Content Feedback wrote:1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Easy only.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 10 (essentially impossible)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? They seem clear, though I never get to actually find out.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? There isn't a lot to it, so it's not that interesting. It is clear enough, though.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Getting anything positive done. I barely get to the island before dying. Every damn time.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 0 (Absolutely no fun at all)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Make it possible.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Dying. Every damn time.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better? N/A

I know you others have finished this scenario...some on high difficulty. Frankly, I've been working on this scenario, off and on, for at least a year. I never get even a sniff of the wose keep. I have no idea how to complete it. Definitely not enjoyable.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Woodruff wrote:
Content Feedback wrote:1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Easy only.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 10 (essentially impossible)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? They seem clear, though I never get to actually find out.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? There isn't a lot to it, so it's not that interesting. It is clear enough, though.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Getting anything positive done. I barely get to the island before dying. Every damn time.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 0 (Absolutely no fun at all)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Make it possible.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Dying. Every damn time.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better? N/A

I know you others have finished this scenario...some on high difficulty. Frankly, I've been working on this scenario, off and on, for at least a year. I never get even a sniff of the wose keep. I have no idea how to complete it. Definitely not enjoyable.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I've got a pretty high-level crew (all 2nd and 3rd level, six of them). I'm at a loss, as I don't even get close to the wose.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Hi Woodruff, I sent you a PM with a replay in it after your previous post. Did you not get that? I don't want to post that here because there was a bug with replays at the time and I had to cheat to make it work (the replay, not the way how I played the scenario), so some things aren't quite right. If you send me your start-of-scenario save, I can play through it again sometime in the next few days and send you the replay. The bug is fixed now.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

mattsc wrote:Hi Woodruff, I sent you a PM with a replay in it after your previous post. Did you not get that? I don't want to post that here because there was a bug with replays at the time and I had to cheat to make it work (the replay, not the way how I played the scenario), so some things aren't quite right. If you send me your start-of-scenario save, I can play through it again sometime in the next few days and send you the replay. The bug is fixed now.
Hmmm...no, I didn't get the PM. I'll send you a scenario save (probably tomorrow, I'm on my way out of the house now).
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)
100 gold

Clear.

No challenges. The griffins could theoretically be a real pest and snipe some of your units. But they prefer to capture villages and before they are able to make it back the fight is over.

I won't rate it. I did like the basic idea though and the map is beautiful. But it's just too easy.

I suppose you could make it a lot harder. Not by adding more griffins (that would just be annoying), but by widening the map and giving more castle tiles to Ur-Thurodor.

No.
Attachments
DM-Ur-Thorodor_replay.gz
(16.32 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

1.10.7 - Normal

3 - The griffins can be really annoying if you cannot deal with them directly but other than that, there is nothing difficult.

Clear.

Nice one.

Again: XP farming.

5 - It's nothing special, nearly a normal 1v1.

Perhaps give Ur-Thorodor more recruitment fields for his fellow trees.

I killed Ur-Thorodor once, but after I learned that you should leave him intact, I went back a round and continued.