Scenario 6: Swamps of Illuven

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ninjuri

Re: Scenario 6: Swamps of Illuven

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 6
Objectives 100% clear
Dialogue: It was pretty weird that the rogue guy actually asked for decimal when he wanted my gold, it was like 178.6 or some weird number like that. I'm thinking "wow, he must have weighed gram for gram the dangers in this swamp so he knew exactly what to charge." :lol2:
Challenges: The terrain mostly. The swamps not only slowed me down, but also provided a venus fly trap for the enemy if they ever caught me crossing one. For some reason their bowmen have greater defense in swamps, while their other units have less like mine, so i had to plan out which of their units was going to go where. I had groups of units pushing like 4 flanks, and the northwest guy stepped off his keep for 1 turn revealing the gold, my eyes were on the prize. I had delfador wait near the signpost and send everyone else at the gold with a few turns to spare. Ended up getting it 1 turn before time ran out.
Fun: 7
Changes: The east part of the map was pretty stale. I sent a calvaryman and a spearman over there against a footpad and poacher. I mostly just sat on villages and fought from there, and no one was dying. I finally killed them near the end of the level and i was like "wow, those two units are still over there?"
Restarts: I had to re-load once, because lionel got owned. He was sitting in a forest with like 90% health, because he's a pretty tough guy, when a poacher shot him, then a thug attacked him, he actually killed the thug, which then made space for another thug to take the place and land the finishing blows. It was entirely unlucky.
Fate is against me.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.10.3. About 200 gold. Patience (retreat) at night and pushing hard at day, difficulty entirely depends on the initial gold, close to impossible with minimal gold, pretty easy with 200 and a sliding scale of all difficulties in between. My personal challenge is reading mission objectives as I had Delfador in the NW corner and had to walk him all over to the NE corner (I had enough time left to do so.) Managed to lose an almost levelled cav with a stupid move - attacked almost dead thug on village missed three times, got damaged then killed next turn.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.3 hard (Great Mage - Difficult)
100 gold (minimum)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Minimum gold. 5 recalls + 2 heroes is not a lot considering what the Outlaws throw at you. Only level 1s, sure, but the terrain is atrocious. My first objective was to exterminate the northern forces as fast as possible, while evading the eastern ones. What makes this so hard is that you need to be extremely efficient, it's necessary to execute the perfect steamroll offensive . Should you ever get stuck, well, then it's over. Knights are once again crucial. Second half of the mission is, of course, easier.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Very good. 10/10

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No idea.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Took me three serious attempts. The error margin is pretty slim, even small mistakes can spell certain doom. Restarted the scenario each time.
Attachments
DM-The_Swamps_of_Illuven_replay.gz
(25.41 KiB) Downloaded 1441 times
D-Wade

Re: Scenario Review: DM 6 - Swamps of Illuven

Post by D-Wade »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.7 - Normal

6 - I kept my troops on the center island and therefore was able to pretty easily smack the first wave. After that I split my forces and went on to kill both leaders before advancing to the sign post.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good. The deal was a good idea.

Leveling up some units and not overextending at night.

8 - Was a nice one to play. Finally more than a 1v1 :D .

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Maybe give the player a small hint about the chest in the NW castle.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Once Lionel got killed by the northeastern leader so I went back a turn and adjusted his position in order to save him
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear. As for "protection" money, it is funny that provides little protection... "protection" deals are never fair.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Level-1 enemies getting four attacks are quite dangerous. Also, the terrain slowed my units, so it was hard come to the rescue of wounded units.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Some swamp monster maybe?
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- Fine at its own. I could have guessed that accepting the offer could be a trap too. (I declined the offer in here)

- None really

- Give some ending dialogue

- No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

- No
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Great Mage (Difficult), 1.14.7

Very clear.

It was clear, but not very interesting. But to be sure, not giving gold away is the better choice.

Decimating the green bandits.

-

No.
Attachments
DM-The Swamps of Illuven replay.gz
(27.65 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
ElvishMystical0

Post by ElvishMystical0 »

1.10, 1.12 and 1.14 all difficulties.

I've never paid, and rate this about a 3.

Very clear.

It's a standard 'just passing through' to get to somewhere type of scenario.

On this scenario specifically? Terrain and capturing villages. As per Wiki I'm trying to get a Paladin or two so recall horse units, who make easy targets for Poachers who get 50% defence in swamps. Then there's this annoying Footpad going all out to capture villages from the eastern keep in a south westerly direction, taking all the villages which are the hardest for me to get to.

7. The difficulties with terrain and villages are countered by my being able to recruit Cavalrymen, Mages and Heavy Infantrymen. These units are more useful to me against the Undead than Bowmen and the Spearman lines other than Swordsmen.

It's actually quite fun because there's some variables over how and where you choose to fight, even though generally you go in to directions, north and north east.

Yes. I got too many 'intelligent' units while the enemies got a lot of 'resilient' units. Resilient Thugs are harder to kill and resilient Footpads are hard work. There were a few games when things didn't balance out, I got wore down, and either Delfador didn't make it or I lost too many units.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

N/A
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

(paid the gold to the rogue)

Difficult

Clear

Both clear and interesting

I used mostly my veterans who, although there were just a few, had huge damage to kill outlaws. I had to manage them carefully not to lose them.

7. Finally we're fighting something else than orcs.

Our objective is to reach the sign but we should be able to do it without killing the bandit. Move the bandit keep a bit to the south. Make killing him and rogue optional objectives.

Yes, losing a knight.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm 1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.14.11, hardest: 'Great Mage' (difficult), no reloading during campaign; played the scenario several times
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5 (in comparison with the rest of the campaign)
Edit: Forgot to mention - I did not pay off the bandit/s.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not much connection with the rest of the campaign, not very interesting.
Edit: There is no way I would trust that 'protection offer' from the bandit. There needs to be some (editorial, not from the bandit) explanation what it does.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6. Due to the many hard-to-reach villages there is actually a point to finishing early.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Maybe add some randomly moving swamp monsters which are hostile to all factions. These are supposed to be dangerous swamps. But the only danger are some outlaws. Otherwise its a clear path from west to east.
Or make swamp tiles and maybe adjacent tiles noxious in gameplay too - not just in the dialogue. Like -1 hp per turn per adjacent swamp for non-outlaw units.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm (9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
(Didnt look at the WML.)
Attachments
DM-The Swamps of Illuven replay.gz
(29.26 KiB) Downloaded 279 times