Scenario 3: Road to Weldyn

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 3: Road to Weldyn

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
lotsofphil

Re: Scenario Review: DM 3 - Road to Weldyn

Post by lotsofphil »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? 6
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? It was fine.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? I didn't recruit enough the first time I played it. The keep is small.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 7
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None, I think it is fine.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Not recruiting enough units.
blue

Post by blue »

1. Mage
2. 2
3. Crystal clear
4. Fine
5. None
6. 4
7. I'd give the enemy a bit more gold
8. Nope
bobby

Post by bobby »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Medium, 1.8.0

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 3

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Very.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
There wasn't much dialogue anyway. Another kill the baddies scenario.

Choosing the location of my defensive line.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 6

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More variety of enemy units, lacking ranged units.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Dieguitoarg

Post by Dieguitoarg »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium - 1.8

5 - Had to restart it a couple of times in order to have some veterans for the next scenario.

Clear

There's isn't too much. There's a glich if you get the archer from the start killed defaldor still talks to him.

Making the perfect testudo in order to avoid losses

None that I can think of atm.

No
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

Medium.
Very clear.
Average. Ork leader has nothing to say, his army too.
I did not have any healer, so... slowly advance against orks.
Anything. This is straight 1:1 mission, no surpises. Maybe that's a problem?
Bad luck, nothing else.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Great Mage, 1.8.0
(2) 2
(3) Clear
(4) Fine.
(5) No problems really. Pick your terrain and use the day/night cycle and it goes smoothly.

(6) 9 - it's an interesting large open layout, with lots of choice of where and when to fight, when to hold back and when to pounce.
(7) Good as it is.

Urthaka-Tan could use some help. He didn't recruit any wolf riders with me - odd given that left him with slow infantry walking across the plain into my cavalry, and a disadvantage in villages throughout. A larger keep would help him focus his attack, but that would change the play of the level quite a bit and I rather like it as it is. A couple of starting units - guards in the towers at the valley entrance - would help offset the player's free units without increasing his keep size.

(8) No.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hardest; 1.8.0

Came in with 208 gold, halfway advanced horseman, spearman and mage.

3 - Got it the first try without too much trouble (though some luck).

Very Clear

(4)
How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Acceptable. Not much plot advancement, other than the addition of bowmen. However, it was not irrelevant to the plot, as it helped convey the idea that the orcs are here where they shouldn't be.

(5)
What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None really. I sent a horseman forward early on, and got piled on by three wolf riders. With some luck, the horseman survived (though it would have been the same if he hadn't). However, he managed to put every one of the wolves at lower health. Thus, when our lines hit at dusk, the orcs were fighting at a severe disadvantage. I had four bowmen and three mages, and that was enough to basically wipe out his first line.

After that, he was never able to get more than three units against one of my (full health) units at a time, and they were never able to kill one. Since he had little range, my wounded mages/archers were still able to be 100% effective; I just had to make sure to kill the target then put full health units in front (not hard, since Delfador leveled early, and with 8-4 fireballs +leadership, the wolves/troll whelps went down fast). It helped that the Troll Whelps were really slow.

8- Not too long, a simple application of basic tactics.

It is currently pretty good.

No.

(9)
If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Nothing complex. No need for extensive documentation. The comments in this code were very nice though; this is a good format that I think should be used more often. (I speak of the following)
#############################
# bowmen carp at orcs
#############################
[event]
name=attack
[filter]
type=Bowman
[/filter]
[message]
speaker=unit
message=_"Take this, you slimy invader!"
[/message]
[/event]
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.2, Mage (Normal/Medium/whatever you call it)

4 – a little more challenging compared to the first.

Clear.

Fine.

Again, my own carelessness and bad planning. I lost a couple of units because of it. But I also leveled up a couple opf Horsemen (and a few other units got close to levelling), so I didn’t mind.

6 – I’m not sure why, but I liked this a little more than the first one.

Nothing, it’s fine as it is.

No, despite being a little too careless before killing the main enemy force.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Most difficult; 1.8.3; 230 starting gold

Clear.

"Beware! Night is falling - that's when the orcs tend to attack!"... really?! (Sarcasm.) It comes off as a bit insulting to the player, for whom this probably isn't the first campaign. However, I see in the WML that you tweaked the orcs this way for this scenario and are trying to warn the player.

The main challenge was fighting mostly in the open with little in the way of healing options vs. self-healing enemy (welps.) I probably should have dug into defensible terrain and waited for the enemy to come to me.

Mop-up operation was anti-climatic. It would be nice if the enemy leader would recruit a final keepful when you get close.

Lost a couple of times, restarted from turn 1.

Good.
Attachments
DM-The_Road_to_Weldyn_replay.gz
(18.97 KiB) Downloaded 915 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.4, Hard, 100 starting gold (min)

Clear.

Fine.

I took a stand at the nearby fort and it was basically a big melee. If I hadn't gotten a white mage at some point, it would have been much harder. As it was, there was nothing in particular that was hard. Also, as opposed to what the wiki says, the enemy recruited very few archers, so my horsemen were much less useful than mages and archers.

Nothing comes to mind.

No.

Looks good.
Attachments
(16.84 KiB) Downloaded 967 times
santosis

Re: Scenario 3: Road to Weldyn

Post by santosis »

Medium, 1.8.5

7 - As well balanced as the first scenario.

Kill another jerkface. Got it.

No, pretty good.

Leveling a white mage--I planned every turn around getting a novice mage easy XP. It was a pain, but worth it. I lost a bowman and two cavalry in the process.

I finished in turn 20/24, so time was tight. I will carry only 56 gold over into the next scenario.

8 - It is a nice scenario for leveling troops. I leveled a cavalry to knight, a lvl 2 spearman to halberdier, a mage to a white mage, a spearman to a swordsman, and have a bowman 2xp from level 2.

Nothing I can think of.

Yes, a few deaths of my whitemage in progress.
dsa

Post by dsa »

Hard, 1.9.3

4, as in the previous scenario, you just have to avoid nighttime attacks, to win.

Clear

Okay.

None.

6, I was most excited by the advancement of Delfador, when I found out he is not only a Red Mage, but also has the leadership ability, what makes him really good. Besides the scenario is quite standard like the first scenario.

A bit more gold for the enemy leader.

No.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

6, challenging. Due to poor play during the previous scenario, I started with minimum gold and almost no experienced units.

Crystal clear

"Orcs tend to attack during the night"?! Come on, that's not a beginner campaign...

Setting up a defence line and being patient. With 100 gold vs 250, you need to play to the best of your ability.

5. I've had my share of loyalists vs orcs scenarios, it's hard to get impressed by another one.

The dialogue could use a little work, but it doesn't come anything to mind concerning gameplay.

During my first play I over-expanded instead of being cautious and building a defence line, so when the orcs stroke I was unprepared. But other than my poor play at first, no.
Linux. Space technology.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Challenging, 1.9.4 (227 gold)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

Clear.

"Beware, night is falling, that's when orcs tend to attack." I know, the orcs are more aggressive at night but still, this line should be deleted, Or maybe happen on the easy difficulty only.

There weren't any real challenges.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?

The music selection included "Knalgan Theme" and "The dangerous symphony" which are way to dramatic for the 3rd (2nd in some ways) scenario :wink:

No

Comments are fine

(10) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
It's nice, the mountains around the orc's castle are good.
Attachments
(21.18 KiB) Downloaded 910 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)