V1.5/1.6 SP Scenario Review: LoW 23 - End of War

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The1exile

V1.5/1.6 SP Scenario Review: LoW 23 - End of War

Post by The1exile »

1) Medium, 1.6
2) 2-3. After difficult levels early on against trolls and orcs, and more recently Costly Revenge, it was far too easy to whack up a massive starting bonus last level, and this is without knowing that Landar would flee at the first sign of trouble - I killed his allied leader + army, cut through a load of heroes for some XP mining, and when I finally reached Landar (with Kalenz, a shyde and a sylph in tow) I ended up finishing with over 700 gold carried over. Recruiting bucketloads of scouts to grab villages all over the map, archers to have their mega forest defense, and some fighters to melee the over- and misused rangers and level into captains, and it was a breeze.
3) Pretty easy, although I'm unsure if you could just gun straight for Landar.
4) The opening lines were promising, and the tale of Kalenz's end was good. I'm less certain on the "eventually though his wife and kids die" when his own unit description actually attributes Kalenz's gain in ability to the fact that "elves do not age as humans do". I'm also with Orcish Shyde with regards to Landar being forgiven and honoured as a hero tests believability somewhat - I can understand that you want Kalenz to appear a graceful victor and not a barbarian, but this is his mortal enemy (as told at the beginning of the scenario), who has basically been enough of an arse to even make his followers dislike him, and inflicted years of civil war on the elves because of his own misplaced ambition. It's not even like Landar and Kalenz are shown to develop a very close relationship throughout the campaign, either (though I suppose the same applies to Cleodil, really, whose death words seem completely unmerited until late in the campaign).
5) There weren't any.
6) 5. It's quite fun, but only as a "haha look how awesome I am with elves" exercise rather than any real story-glory or test of versatility.
7) Better elven AI. This goes for your allies in the previous scenario too, but especially here - Landar recruits a ton of rangers, along with the occasional hero, and then promptly ignores the thing that makes Rangers worth having - forest defence and ambushing. There's no point in sitting in a field trying to kill with melee attacks my fighters and archers in forest when they're backed up by a shyde (Cleodil) and maybe a captain. Elves should always hug the edge of the forest if they can and certainly not proceed one or two hexes outside it just for the pleasure of attacking a unit which will then proceed to steal the terrain bonus and butcher it. At least give him some sharpshooters instead of rangers.
8) Nope.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
axelotl

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 23 - End of War

Post by axelotl »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

easy 1.6; hard 1.6.2

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I think it should be very difficult to kill Landar by normal means. He has, after all, had a double dose of the long-life potion. Instead, only Cleodil (bearer of The Book, and, I think, an underused character) should have the power to "cure" Landar of his cursed half-life. (Just as only the white mages can kill the lich in that other mainline campaign whose name I can't remember.) This idea would require significant changes to the dialogue.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

None. I have a loyal marshal, 3 shydes, 2 sylphs, favourable terrain and more money.
Winning with Landar's forces would be a significant challenge.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

2. This is far too easy for the final boss battle.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

It needs to be significantly harder. Perhaps the fallen should become walking dead controlled by Mal Landar?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.