03 - Ka'lian under Attack

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JMichael

V1.12.2 - 03 - Ka'lian under Attack, et al.

Post by JMichael »

Wesnoth 1.12.2

I think the IS_LOYAL macro should be adding the "loyal" trait, as well as modifying the icon.

In "Ka'lian Under Attack", Galtrid starts with two Elvish Scouts. Each has a little band around his orb. Neither admits to having the "loyal" trait.

In "Elves' Last Stand", when I recall one of the scouts, the upkeep increases by one, so the

Code: Select all

overlays="misc/loyal-icon.png"
is not implying zero upkeep.
Caladbolg

Re: V1.9/1.10 - 03 - Ka'lian under Attack

Post by Caladbolg »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.12.5, medium.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6. There was enough pressure in the beginning to make it a nice challenge but it becomes easier afterwards. That aside, at no point did I think I could lose. The difficulty comes from trying to beat the scenario with few losses and lots of advancements. It's an easy scenario as far as just winning is concerned.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Dialog is very good. The issue I have is lack of shamans. I understand that not having them makes for a more interesting challenge (and I wouldn't change that) but there's no explanation. I'd expect that Wesmere as the 'base' of wesnoth elves has some shamans. Even if you say that only warriors remain and everyone else is evacuated, it doesn't explain why there are no sorceress- they are 'warriors' for all intents and purposes.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not losing all units in the initial siege (with 2 villages and a bunch of poisoned units it's hard to keep them alive). Near the end it's difficult to kill enemy leaders as they're well protected.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7. I think that the initial setup is really interesting and provides an unusual challenge.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
-Another enemy. As is, there's just not enough pressure after the first ~10 turns which makes the gameplay slightly tedious near the end. The whole eastern and souther portion of the map are practically unused.
-I don't mind the labels but they're really not necessary
-either explain why there are no shamans or add a sorceress or two for diversity

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

General strategy: As in the previous scenario, expect deaths (this time due to poison). Choose who will die: recruit archers in hexes which assassins can reach so you get more retaliation when they get poisoned. Fighters serve to deal finishing blows on archers and assassins. Those that get poisoned are supposed to serve as sacrifices. Use them to kill of assassins. Leave the castle only when you kill all the surrounding enemies. Then send half the units east across the river and the other half north and work your way towards the leaders.

Details:
-First few turns are spent carefully executing the strategy as above. On the 3rd turn a few poisoned elves go outside the castle to bother the enemies a bit. On the 6th turn I mop up the remaining enemies and on the 7th elves exit the castle. Kalenz appears, recalls a few worthy units, recruits in the remaining hexes and goes straight east.

-Kalenz's army gathers villages as they move. On the 9th turn Urudin (orcish slayer) is killed.
-turn 10: archer->ranger (Wesmere army)
-turn 12: Kalenz reaches central castle and recruits a few more units. He goes N, Landar goes E. Archer->Ranger and Fighter->Hero for Wesmere army
-turn 13: loyal Scout->Rider, Archer->Ranger, Fighter->Hero (Wesmere)
-turn 14: loyal Scout->Rider (Wesmere); orange leader starts sending out units
-turn 15: 2x Fighter->Hero (Wesmere)
-turn 16: orange leader comes out but I can't kill him
-turn 17: Archer->Ranger (Kalenz army); Fighter->Hero (Wesmere); one elvish hero from Wesmere army dies
-turn 18: one Wesmere ranger dies; orange leader returns to his keep; elves are close to surrounding both leaders
-turn 19: Kalenz advances to Hero

-I ended up in a bit of a pickle because I didn't heal my units (I thought it wouldn't be necessary) so I lost a few more units than intended near the brown leader
-turn 21: Kalenz kills orange leader
-turn 22: elvish captain kills the brown leader

Stats:
Kalenz: 558 start gold, 7 recruits, 4 recalls, 2 advancements, 3 losses, 16 kills, +6% inflicted dmg, -2% taken dmg
Wesmere: 200 start gold, 31 recruits, 10 advancements, 38 losses, 67 kills, -3% inflicted dmg, -1% taken dmg
All in all, I think I could've done a better job. The first few turns however are really well played I'd say.
Attachments
LoW-Ka’lian_under_Attack_replay.gz
(73.27 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Playing v1.12.5, the map labels for the Ka'lian Under Attack map seem to be completely messed up. The map seems to have been changed but the labels were maintained in the same positions - so that they are now in arbitrary locations, instead of i.e. village names appearing under villages.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear
Defending Ka'lian is challenging, specially because of having no shamans makes healing poisoned units depending on the two villages.
On the other hand, there's a notorious lack of challenge when Kalenz arrives because all of the orcs go to defend the northwestern base, even those from the other orc leader, who is left undefended.
The defense of Ka'lian is fun and challenging, it's the part after the arrival of Kalenz that is boring.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Changes on the AI:
-Already made: I see the artificial intelligence is no longer controlling the elves at Ka'lian after Kalenz arrives. Good thing. I recall from Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3 that it was painful to see.
-To make: Having all the orcs make a stand in the northwestern corner makes no sense and it's not fun. It's easy to weaken them by advancing slowly, so wolves and faster units attack on their own without backup and are easier to kill.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
troomar

Post by troomar »

(1) Level and version? High Lord (Challenging), no reloads. Version 1.13.6.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 9.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? I don't mind the dialogues.
(5) Challenges? To utilize all the poisoned units during the first few rounds. Then to move fast enough to break the siege.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 10. Epic! Fighting on two separated places trying to fulfill two different goals.
(7) Changes? -
(8) Restarts? No.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Version 1.13.11 seems to have automatic defeat at the start of turn 8 (when the map grows and adds Kalenz). With the attached save file just end turn.

In 3.13.11, the map doesn't grow. A WML error appears at the same time as the "the fog lifted to reveal a grim sight..." message, and as soon as the message disappears it's immediate defeat. Loading 3.13.11's turn 7 autosave in 3.13.10 and ending turn works fine, and loading 3.13.10's turn 8 autosave in 3.13.11 also seems ok.

I'm logging this on Github, but Github doesn't like the save file and won't let me attach it.
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/2505
Attachments
LoW-Ka’lian under Attack-Auto-Save7.gz
(75.68 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
Hestelvar

Re: 03 - Ka'lian under Attack

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Solider (Easy)
Starting Gold 802
4. At least on easy, Kalenz’s army is unnessary.
Mostly clear, though I did wonder whether ‘Hold on until turns run out.’ meant I would lose if I fled the citadel.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
The writing is very enjoyable, however certain oddities of this scenario warrant further explanation.
The continued absence of the shaman line is become conspicuous. While it adds to the tactical challenge, some explanation must be given. What is more important than an attack on the citadel?
The remarkable degree of caution exhibited by the orcs mid scenario deserves comment. I’d like to see speculation about this between the elvish leaders a couple of turns after Kalenz’s arrival.
Peeling away the last orc leader’s units. Poison, at the beginning.
7. This is really two interesting scenarios joined by a dull interlude. Both defeating the cautious orc leader and repelling the assassins without the aid of healers are excellent - the lengthy manoeuvring that separate them not so much.
(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make the Urudin’s behaviour sensible. As a leader (often with a lot of gold) allow him to recruit - no need to give him a keep let him share with the other orc leaders. A second, mid scenario, wave of assassins would enliven that period nicely.
Make Kalenz army necessary or start him without a keep. Alternatively make the orcs less defensive; perhaps they could concentrate on grabbing villages after their unsuccessful assault on the Ka’lin, and have the orc leader summon a bodyguard of level 2’s when an orc leader dies.
None. However I replay the scenario with a more aggressive strategy, which made the dull interlude feel even longer. As the replay of my first effort shows I started poorly, got most units poisoned, and expected to be in real trouble before Kalenz could intervene, yet the massed orcs never attacked.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I wish some way could be found to convey the Orcish Plans comment to the player via dialogue.
Remarks:
Why is one of Galtrid’s elvish scouts loyal?
I’m deeply conflicted about this scenario. The two ideas - surrounded by orc assassins, and sacrificing units to expose a hyper cautious enemy leader - are great. Yet the latter is lacking both in narrative justification and implementation.
All those orcs huddling around their leader seems indicative of panic - of having nowhere to run, last stand, etc - yet nowhere does the dialogue suggest this.
Attachments
LoW-Ka’lian under Attack replay.bz2
(41.22 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.3, High Lord (Challenging)

Clear.

Clear.

Defeating that last leader that played turtle

7, I like defending like that.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
LoW-Ka’lian under Attack replay.gz
(74.22 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:37 am Below is a small 'survey'. It'd be greatly appreciated if people who have played the third scenario of The Legend of Wesmere would fill it out.

Wesnoth 1.14.11, High Lord (Challenging), no reloading during campaign, played the scenario several times
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:37 am (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4 in comparison with the rest of the campaign. It is too easy if knowing the scenario.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:37 am (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:37 am (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ok.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:37 am (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:37 am (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:37 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
After red player arrival its too easy. This can be won without red player. Also orange enemy doesnt use gold for a long time due to keeping units in keep only.
--
I dont like the gold mechanics. They dont make proper sense and knowledge of the future happenings in the campaign is too much of an advantage. It would be better to have a pool for the gold of all human allies played by the same single human player and then share that pool after the end for carry-over. Or at least pool together and share after end for carry-over without having a pool inside the scenario - thats probably easier to implement.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:37 am (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
LoW-Ka’lian under Attack replay.gz
(77.71 KiB) Downloaded 238 times