V1.5/1.6 MP - Scenario Review: LoW 3 - Ka'lian under Attack

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jozrael

V1.5/1.6 MP - Scenario Review: LoW 3 - Ka'lian under Attack

Post by Jozrael »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Hard 1.5.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 3
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Clear
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? ...none.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 3.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? More challenging.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better? Didn't read.

I found this kind of jarring, actually. The last scenario (only the second one!) was rather intense! Enjoyable, but intense, with lots of thought being required for every move with just the flood of trolls attacking. This scenario was much more forgiving (I entered with nearly 500 gold and a good set of levelled units) and with the blue ally, almost trivial to complete. The most annoying thing about the scenario? With the FLOOD of blue units, I'd estimate a good third of the enemy units were kill-stolen from me (often I'd have to leave them at 5 hp...and down they went). Lost a lot of experience.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 3 - Ka'lian under Attack

Post by fabi »

Jozrael wrote:...
I found this kind of jarring, actually. The last scenario (only the second one!) was rather intense! Enjoyable, but intense, with lots of thought being required for every move with just the flood of trolls attacking. This scenario was much more forgiving (I entered with nearly 500 gold and a good set of levelled units) and with the blue ally, almost trivial to complete. The most annoying thing about the scenario? With the FLOOD of blue units, I'd estimate a good third of the enemy units were kill-stolen from me (often I'd have to leave them at 5 hp...and down they went). Lost a lot of experience.
This level has changed much from previous versions by only a few adjustments in the wml code.
1. All villages on the map are owned by Galdrid, before they had no owner.
2. I tuned Galdrid's ai to be less suicidal.

I am glad the later point seems to work, even if this brakes the balance.
I am going to adjust the gold amount of Galdrid and/or the Orcs.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I'm playing SVN a la a couple days ago, and those two changes were implemented AFAIK. Still jarring :x.
governor

Post by governor »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium and Hard 1.5.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Interesting.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.5.8 Medium
2 Elves pwn orcs in the forest. And you have an ally that absorbs the damage that the bad guys dishes out. The scenario is easy xp and gold.
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear
None. The northern boss takes a bit of work to kill since I only get three hexes to attack from, but that's the greatest problem.
4 It's OK, but too easy.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More of the fighting should take place in the open or on the hills. As it is there is one significant wave of orcs, it enters the forest, it dies. The rest is mopping up. Shift the northern hills a bit further south, and/or add a wave of orcish reinforcements around turn 14.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No. Both my druids managed to miss the warlord with all attacks, leaving him unslowed. I would have reloaded if this had led to the death of one of them, but it didn't.
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

1.5.8 Hard
4 Elves still pwn orcs in the forest. And your ally still absorbs a lot of the damage that the bad guys dishes out. However there's enough orcs that I took a lot of pain in this scenario and the result I got might not be good enough.
Clear.
Clear
No major challenges in meeting the objective, but I feel that the result was too poor in terms of keeping losses down. So the major challenges in getting a satisfactory result was the massive number of orcs.
As on medium, make it harder to keep the fight in the forest. This would be very ouch, but it's hard difficulty.
No.
Bircoph

Post by Bircoph »

1.5.8+svn r32232; hard.

Clearest.

Clear, intermediate interesting of dialogs.

No challenges. After previous scenario this one is just a rest.

Some more events please :).

No (just my own mistakes).

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

Haven't read.
Per aspera ad astra!
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

This is a hard scenario now because Galtrid's troops basically go for walks, basically doing nothing. Here is a replay:

One could keep it this way, or make them participate in the fight and maybe lower the number of turns?
Attachments
LOW-Kalian_under_attack_replay.gz
(45.23 KiB) Downloaded 834 times
miekka

Post by miekka »

1. Easy 1.6.2
2. 4.
3. Kill the enemies, very clear
4. Clear and OK
5. Can't think of any...
6. 7
7. I'd say it's good as it is
8. Nope
9. -
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

easy 1.6(?); hard 1.6.2

Clear.

Good.

Using just enough aggression to beat the time limit without getting a major character killed.

It's pretty good. After my ally defeated the Western Orc, his troops showed a strange reluctance to cross the river to attack the unguarded Nothern Orc. Why?

The first time, I was too aggressive with my troop placements and got massacred ...

I haven't looked at the WM for this one.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
Bob Rock

Post by Bob Rock »

medium on 1.6.4

5 The old fashion of bringing money from the one scenario to the next allows to collect quite some money already here. Enough troops helped me a lot to survive the first two orc waves without too much damage

clear

I liked them

I think it is important to be patient and let the orcs crush on the forest edge, instead of meeting them in the next forest. I was disappointed by my ally. No help from them.

8 Good stuff

Maybe to change the money carryover system to the new one.

No

Ceesem

Post by Ceesem »

The main reason i post is to ask why there was no 7 turns of recruiting i've read about in walkthrough, Kalenz arrived on the first turn?

hard 1.6.5

clear

ok, nothing special

getting my ally to actively contribute to fight

I think the AI needs a bit tweaking here, for the first couple of turns he was moving his units around the fortress back and forth, I seriously thought the AI is scripted to stay in the fortress and all the movements are just byproduct of this, he was moving next to the water then one hex back towards leader acting like crazy. THen I was surprised when he launched an attack on the west, unguarded orcish leader that helped me win.

yes, at first I met the whole orcish force while my "ally" was sitting in the castle doing nothing and I was grinded by them. I finished it only when I moved south abandoning my camp forcing orcs to attack the fortress and my ally to contriubute to damage, also attaining better ground against orcs in water. Still the orcs slaughtered all ally units in the fortress (the rest he sent to attack the western orcish leader) so i was worried they would kill the allied hero but my marksmen saved him.