V1.5/1.6 - Scenario Bug Report: LoW 7 - Elves' Last Stand

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bunti

V1.5/1.6 - Scenario Bug Report: LoW 7 - Elves' Last Stand

Post by bunti »

Hi, in this level I have a general problem:

Galtrid, the leader in the middel of the map does not recruit troops. This makes the map quite tough, because you have to send troops to defend him. Or you move all troops to the middel of the map, but then you can not attack the trolls immediately.
(edit: I was in commad of all troops)
Is it meant to be this way?

Greetings

Bunti
fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 7 - Elves' Last Stand

Post by fabi »

bunti wrote:Hi, in this level I have a general problem:

Galtrid, the leader in the middel of the map does not recruit troops. This makes the map quite tough, because you have to send troops to defend him. Or you move all troops to the middel of the map, but then you can not attack the trolls immediately.

Greetings

Bunti
No this was not intended.
Already fixed in svn.

Greetings, Fabi
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

This is an innovative scenario! Good work. However, it has several rough edges.
I found it very hard the first time to give the leader's the orders that I wanted, since the location names were all unknown.
This was a problem, and the boxes showing up at the beginning of each ally's turn were annoying. It's easily fixed though: Have the narrator say, "Right click on an ally to issue orders." You wouldn't have to include a separate option dialog asking if the player wants to control the allies; they could just choose not to issue any orders.

I don't think asking the importance of the order is really necessary. In my experience, the ai doesn't listen to mere suggestions. You have to set numbers very high. I would assume that an order is just that--an order.

I also find a lot of the text awkward. When it says, "I am already___!" it sounds an error message--like you did something wrong. "Disable AI_CONTROLLER" sounds like a debugging message (and maybe it is). "Go to a location! (only the leader)," should probably be, "Send the leader to a location." Also, you are going to have to let wmllint bug you about the missing translation character in order to keep wmllint notes from bugging the player!

(I feel like I've been doing a lot of complaining, but I wouldn't mind doing some of the work too, if that's helpful. I could implement all of this stuff, for instance. I'm a little tired of looking at my own campaign at the moment!)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ortega

Post by ortega »

bunti wrote:

Greetings

Bunti

Already fixed in svn.

Greetings, Fabi
still doesn't work for me although I've downloaded the Campaing from the svn.
Any solutions?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Just tested it, works fine here.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

ortega wrote:
bunti wrote:

Greetings

Bunti

Already fixed in svn.

Greetings, Fabi
still doesn't work for me although I've downloaded the Campaing from the svn.
Any solutions?
The scenario works for me, Galtrid is recruiting.
Maybe you didn't start the game with the right data directory?
You definitely need to restart the scenario from the first preturn savefile because wesnoth stores the scenario code in the savefile.

Greetings, Fendrin
ortega

Post by ortega »

what I did was to download the svn-scenario folder and overwrite my original scenario folder.
Then I've started the game from the previous scenarios' last turn. Should be fine, right?

But lazy Galtric still doesn't recruit! Any ideas? Or should I start the whole campaign from the beginning?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

ortega wrote:what I did was to download the svn-scenario folder and overwrite my original scenario folder.
Then I've started the game from the previous scenarios' last turn. Should be fine, right?

But lazy Galtric still doesn't recruit! Any ideas? Or should I start the whole campaign from the beginning?
No that should have worked. Did you download the svn trunk version or the svn 1.5.6 release branch?
You need the trunk one.
ortega

Post by ortega »

Hey fabi,

thanks for this advice. Lazy Galtric is in the mood to help me out, now ;-)

By the way. What do the different main folders (trunk, branches, tags) contain or what is the intention behind them?

Thanks for the quick help!
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

beetlenaut wrote:This is an innovative scenario! Good work. However, it has several rough edges.
I found it very hard the first time to give the leader's the orders that I wanted, since the location names were all unknown.
This was a problem, and the boxes showing up at the beginning of each ally's turn were annoying. It's easily fixed though: Have the narrator say, "Right click on an ally to issue orders." You wouldn't have to include a separate option dialog asking if the player wants to control the allies; they could just choose not to issue any orders.

I don't think asking the importance of the order is really necessary. In my experience, the ai doesn't listen to mere suggestions. You have to set numbers very high. I would assume that an order is just that--an order.

I also find a lot of the text awkward. When it says, "I am already___!" it sounds an error message--like you did something wrong. "Disable AI_CONTROLLER" sounds like a debugging message (and maybe it is). "Go to a location! (only the leader)," should probably be, "Send the leader to a location." Also, you are going to have to let wmllint bug you about the missing translation character in order to keep wmllint notes from bugging the player!

(I feel like I've been doing a lot of complaining, but I wouldn't mind doing some of the work too, if that's helpful. I could implement all of this stuff, for instance. I'm a little tired of looking at my own campaign at the moment!)
I followed your proposal and disabled the ai controller popup.
Please feel free to work on the ai_controller.

Greetings, Fabi
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Hi i am using the most recent version on the download server on 1.5.5 development branch. I am having problems with Galtrid recuiting as well.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

This *may* be fixed in 1.5.6, but it's certainly fixed in trunk. Please update to the most recent version before commenting on bugs in the development version. (especially if someone's already declared them fixed)

Also, LoW is now a mainline campaign, it should have been removed from the add-on server by now.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

Sorry i don't know why i said add on, signs that i am tired...

It is the latest version i can get for windows, still btw i like the new options put in for this scenario.