16 - The Chief must die

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

iserp

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 16 - The Chief must die

Post by iserp »

Mmmm, playing again...

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Medium 1.8.0

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

1. I guess this is like in version 1.6

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I agree with iserp, 7 posts above, :mrgreen:

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

none.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

1, way too easy. As it is; it plays like a cut scene.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

I find strange that only wolves attack you. I would make it so if you are in wolves "smell radius" (which should be small), other units nearby try to attack you.

I also find strange to kill the orc chief with arc & sword. I mean, i was attacking the chief for 3 turns and no one tried to help him; if the orcs hate him so much, why don't they kill him outright, :P. So i think it would be better if Kalenz had some poison dart, or other plot device to kill the chief without being noticed.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No
Auntie

Post by Auntie »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Easy on 1.6.5

First trials : 10
Third or forth : 5/6

Very clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Normally Clear.

Understand that when a wolf smells them, the surrounding orcs won't see AND attack.

Once understood the game : 8/9

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Finding some money in villages ?
:D

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Fearing to be attacked by other orcs, it took a long time to go around the map, on the edge, so lack of rows.
:)
To win K and L went directly to the center, killed some wolfes on their way (when these attacked), just paying attention not to have four wolfes after them at the same time, so that when killing the great chief no one could interfere.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3 Medium

Is there a 0? I guess one could fail, but you'd have to try I think.

Clear.

Kalenz changing into a Lord surprised me, maybe I missed something? I remember hints, but seem like something overt would call your attention to it.

Getting as much XP as possible while keeping an eye on the clock. Managing to level Kalenz and get him and Landar 50%+ of the way to leveling again.

Looks like back in 1.7 there were too many wolves. At this point I think it could use a few more, perhaps trickling in just to keep things interesting. Maybe add fog of war too?

No.

Ok, now that I've replayed, I'm back to Breaking the Siege with a strong complement of units.
kukn

Post by kukn »

Hard, version 1.8.2

1, very easy with no problem, no danger, and with no strategy necessary.

Clear as day.

Nothing special, okay enough. The story behind the scenario was unusual and interesting.

None at all.

6, after all those really hard missions where you have to consider every move with every unit every turn, this was a refreshingly straightforward and easy game.

It seemed like things weren't quite WAI. The only ones who attacked me where the wolf riders, all the infantry just ignored me completely even when I was right next to them and even when I was discovered by the wolves. Maybe having some of the infantry units patrolling (and capable of seeing me) would make it just a bit more difficult and more fun. And have the stationary ones attack you when you reach their ZOC.

Nope. Though I did restart so as to level up Kalenz on the easy prey.
Also I dunno if this is a bug or not, but I had no gold income even after securing several villages, meaning I only had 100g for the next missino, Breaking the Siege - which seems way too low for a mission that big and difficult.
rmj

Post by rmj »

1.9.8 Normal

Extremely easy.

Just let wolves attack and eliminate them. All other orcs never move.

There should be twice as many wolves.
rmj
taptap

Re: V1.9/1.10 - 16 - The Chief must die

Post by taptap »

Give Landar a small commando and the potion - and give what happened in a story scenario, it is a better setup for later too. Why on earth should the two leaders Kalenz and Landar go together without any help on what might easily turn out as a suicide mission?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

easy 1.10.2
perfect
The idea of an orcish civil war for the position of chief was interesting, especially since that is something i could really see them doing, given their nature.
I guess the only challenging part was knowing how close i could get to the wolves before they saw me, and where they were going to move next so i don't get sandwiched in. At first i assumed their sight line was how far they could smell, but that would mean practically the whole map was unsafe. Their movements seemed random and spastic. Sometimes when i was about halfway within their movement range, they would b-line right to me, and other times they would run in circles or away. This left me guessing how close i need to be roughly. I'm not sure if this was intentional.
9. First time i played a stealth scenario so i enjoyed it.
Maybe make a specific amount of spaces away that wolves can smell you from so i can better plan out my movements.
When i was attacking the cheif, the combination of his counter attack damaging me and a semi-nearby wolf killed kelenz once, but i was able to load a turn back and then wait a turn for the wolf to skedaddle before trying the attack again.
Fate is against me.
vanatteveldt

Post by vanatteveldt »

Medium 1.10.4

Fine

Fine

None

7. It was fun to do something else for a while, but really too easy. Then again, it was over quite quickly, I think 5 minutes compared to the 60+ for the alliance scenario.

I think that being next to a unit should also "wake it up". It feels strange to attack the chief, then get distracted by a wolf for a turn, and the chief just hanging out there, wounded, until I came back. Also, if you kill a wolf within two squares of another unit, shouldn't the unit notice something strange?

No

Since Kalenz was put back to L2, I used the opportunity to get easy kills, especially with Landar shooting a unit to low health and Kalenz finishing him off. I killed all the wolves and some other units and Kalenz ended L3. This was possible "en route" to the chief and back, but I guess there is no early finish bonus and a generous #turns, so I could as well have killed all the orcs one by one until time ran out (but what is the point after reaching L3).
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, and gold? Hard, 1.11.15, 100 starting gold (irrelevant.)
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 2, you could lose if you tried.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? Understanding the mechanics.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 2.
(7) Changes? This scenario really needs to be reworked. It should work roughly the way people expect. You shouldn't be able to fight units without "waking up" the rest. Now, maybe they wouldn't head straight at the player's units, since they are nearly invisible, but maybe the orcs could start running around randomly like the wolf riders, once there was a combat. The wolf riders don't necessarily need to be running around initially, though. The Chief and other units should not just sit there after being attacked. They should attack back.
(8) Restarts? No, I won the first time. No save-reloads here or at any time previous in the campaign.
Attachments
LoW-The_Chief_Must_Die_replay.gz
(115.65 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

1.10.4, Hard, (gold unimportant)

1 - Too easy.

Clear, kill the orc leader.

Good, although there isn't much point to dialog about avoiding the wolves as it's not really possible. It's easy to just fight them.

None.

5. While I enjoyed the concept as it was different, it was so easy it was boring.

It makes no sense that enemies won't attack you even if you're right next to them. Also, when you are seen by an enemy, some (not all) other units should also see you and attack you.

None.
Xara

Post by Xara »

Version: 1.12.1

The scenario uses the same map of Barag Gor in SotBE, but the bigmap dots suggest that the assassination takes place somewhere in the north of Lintanir Forest. So there is a discrepancy.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
JMichael

1.12.2 - 16 - The Chief must die

Post by JMichael »

Wesnoth 1.12.2 Windows 8
Now we must make appear...
should be "Now we must make it appear..."

I would expect the orc who claims "da throne" to refer to "Da Great Chief".

In general, since the Elves seem to be speaking archaic English, I wouldn't expect them to use contractions: "it's" surprised me, I would have expected "it is"; although I would have accepted "'tis" (that's apostrophe-tee-eye-ess -- I can't see it myself in this font, and I just typed it).

And, since I can't find a topic for the campaign as a whole: On the Campaign selection screen, Legend of Wesmere is described as 18 scenarios; I just noticed that there are cfg files for 24 scenarios -- is that 18 playable scenarios and 6 interludes?
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

normal, 1.12.2
somewhat clear? i did not know if "invisibility wears out" means end of turns or some other amount of turns.
mostly good, but "make it look like other chieftains did it" does not actually requires any actions from player/elves. a tiny bit confusing.
major? none.
5?
make orcs attack me if i stand right next to them, make wolves chase after detected unit.
i thought the wolves could smell me if they could reach me, so on my first try i did quite a lot of dancing around to the point when i was just one single turn late to reach the signpost.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

Firstly, for the story-only scenario, "The Treaty", I can only say that the dialog is very good.

The Chief must Die
1.12.5, medium.

1, for obvious reasons.

Clear but I think that it'd be good to let the player know that there's no carryover and that the villages don't give income.

All good, especially the pre-start dialog between Kalenz and Cleodil.

None at all.

8. The invisibility is like god-mode and I really enjoyed just crushing the wolves without having to worry about tactics.

Not sure if it'd be more fun, but it'd make more sense if non-wolf units did something. I had Landar stand next to an orc warrior and there wasn't any reaction. I'd suggest making it so that standing next to enemy units for more than 2 turns reveals your position and makes the orcs move towards you. Spending a turn with no enemy units adjacent would 'reset' the invisibility. That way when a wolf discovers you, you must quickly dispose of him or else he'll raise the alarm in which case you have to escape until the situation settles down. Maybe even have the leader recruit a few more orcs each time the alarm is raised so that he's harder to reach. This'll make the scenario more about stealth as you'd have to take care not to get caught (currently getting caught is a good thing as it's basically free xp coming your way). Some other proposals from this thread would also work.

Not really much to say here.
Attachments
LoW-The_Chief_Must_Die_replay.gz
(93.2 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:The Legend of Wesmere, scenario 16 - The Chief must die:

Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4 - Easy peasy
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No major challenge. If a wolf runs into you, kill it. But why oh why have Kalenz go back to level 2? That's no fun.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7 - It's fun having a change.
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More wolves/sentries. It is too easy currently.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.