V1.5/1.6 10 - Cliffs of Thoria

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

V1.5/1.6 10 - Cliffs of Thoria

Post by Content Feedback »

The Legend of Wesmere, scenario 10 - Cliffs of Thoria:

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
governor

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 10 - Cliffs of Thoria

Post by governor »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium and Hard 1.5.6
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear
None
5. Any map with enemy gryphons behind fog is no fun.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Add more yetis.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

Medium 1.5.8
Clear
interesting, sets some mood.
Yeti's
8, Nice to finaly get to use the dwarves.
Change team names so that the status table don't give hints to what you are facing.
Yup. I assumed there was just one yeti.
generalvalter

Post by generalvalter »

governor wrote: Add more yetis.
Wow. I faced three yetis on medium mode... I think yetis are a bit dangerous to use too much, since they have such a huge damage swing. You could have a perfectly executed plan, and there's still a chance that one of the yetis would get two hits in, and you're f***ed.

8 for fun, though. I like the idea of a sort of "intermission" map where you just beat up on a bunch of monster-types without any humanoids involved. :lol2:
Bircoph

Post by Bircoph »

1.5.10+svn, r32867; hard.

'Or' statement should be used. Otherwise it is unclear should I defeat both enemy leaders and rich the sign post, or any of these statemets is enought to achive.

Normal.

Yetis, they're real plague. But they're fun also.

No idea.

Yetis killed critical unit...
Per aspera ad astra!
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

1.6 easy; 1.6.2 hard

Clear.

The "watch out" dialogue when the Yetis appear is very strange because I can't actually see the Yetis at that point.

Holding back long enough to allow the Yetis and Trolls to neutralize each other.
Getting Kalenz to the signpost in time.

With the Gryphons and Yetis dead and the Troll leader too far away for my elves to reach,
the final few turns consisted of Kalenz slowly walking to the signpost. Perhaps make
the Troll keep more accessible?

I learned the hard way that going Yeti-hunting (which worked fine on easy) gets you mobbed by Gryphons diving out of the fog.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

1.7.10 Easy difficulty

Clear. Although I won once I had defeated the leader on the east side of the map, before Kalenz reached the signpost, as the western leader had already been defeated, presumably by Yetis. Perhaps the reaching of the signpost needs to be enforced too (although I was only about 3 turns away with Kalenz anyway)

Not bad

None really. Just ensuring I got a fairly optimum recall (I restarted first time as I only recalled about 5 or 6 dwarves, too few to deal with all the trolls quickly. The Yetis made for an interesting little addition, you have to be careful unit cycling even after they've been slowed, as they can with 2 lucky hits kill a level 2 druid (if it has the right (or would it be wrong) traits). Good for experience though, I levelled up a freshly recruited shaman from 0 EXP straight to level 2 by getting it to kill the first Yeti I fought with. The only unit I lost was because of an ambush by a Yeti at the northern end of the map, a level 2 non loyal (at least, I think it was non loyal) Elvish Hero. The ambush emphasises that Elvish Scouts can play an important roll on this map, I had a level 2 scout, but had sent him to help fight the trolls!

6. The slow movement of the elves over the mountains and hills makes it slightly frustrating if you need to heal a critically injured unit, especially another elf, although screening by the dwarves helps to save those units.

Ensure the north western enemy is still alive (I can only assume they died from the Yetis, and the walkthrough does indicate there is a leader at that position). Perhaps they'd survive on medium difficulty though (assuming there's not more Yetis)?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?[/quote]

Less than optimal recall first time (too few dwarves, too many elves), although that would have probably only delayed my victory rather than caused me to lose, I chose to restart to get a more optimal recall so as to deal with the trolls more quickly.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

hard; 1.8.2

9.5... I hope the play balance has been tweaked, since others previously found it too easy.

Somehow I got the idea that I had to both get Kalenz to the signpost AND kill the enemy leaders. So, while a small contingent of low level units took on the troll lord and his recruited troll warrior, I had Marshall Kalenz go running on by. :)

"Watch out!" "It's... it's... monstrous!" It pans to the lake, with no sign of Yetis. Watch out, it's a monstrous lake! The dialog doesn't work for me. Change the Yeti warning to something like, "What's that noise?!" "It sounds positively monstrous!" Trigger the Yeti sound if you can, but if not, then the dialog can still work. Or it could be a smell. Yetis are supposed to be smelly, right?

It's a scenario that would be very hard to win the first time out, since it's easiest if you play off the trolls against the Yeti, or at least the griffons against the Yeti. This requires baiting the Yeti in the direction you want, and then hanging back. I also tried blitzing the Yetis, totally surrounding them and killing them without the Griffons or trolls getting in a lick. That worked, but then my forces were troll toast.

8. The start is interesting, since you certainly have to think about what to do, and you'll probably adopt a strategy different than any other scenario. The middle can sometimes feature Yetis, griffons, and trolls fighting amongst themselves, which is great fun to watch. The finish is good here, because you pretty much need to split your forces to hit both the griffon leader and troll leader (with the time constrainst on hard.)

Make it so that you have to get Kalenz to the signpost AND kill all leaders, at least on hard.

Critical units kept dying at the hands of Yeti. Ran out of time once.

Sometimes I would reload a turn when I got fouled up by the fog. You know what I mean... you think the fog is off, you test move a unit, and then find that it's stuck because the fog was on.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

Maiklas3000 wrote:"Watch out!" "It's... it's... monstrous!" It pans to the lake, with no sign of Yetis. Watch out, it's a monstrous lake! The dialog doesn't work for me. Change the Yeti warning to something like, "What's that noise?!" "It sounds positively monstrous!" Trigger the Yeti sound if you can, but if not, then the dialog can still work. Or it could be a smell. Yetis are supposed to be smelly, right?
I found sometimes the Yeti was visible and sometimes it wasn't when this message was displayed.
Sometimes I would reload a turn when I got fouled up by the fog. You know what I mean... you think the fog is off, you test move a unit, and then find that it's stuck because the fog was on.
Second this. I wish I could have this option off by default.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3 Medium

3, though there were some "if that Yeti hits again I'm screwed moments," there wasn't anything I could do about it at the time.

I also ended up negative on gold, which has me nervous about what's to come, but with only 300 starting and not many villages, not sure there was a lot I could do about that.

Wasn't clear to me the objectives were an OR - was surprised when I killed the Gryphon leader and the scenario ended.

The timing on the "It's Montrous!" needs a little work - in my case it did happen when the Yeti appeared, but then it scrolled away so quickly it was a blur.

It was hard to fight all three creatures at once, especially dealing with wounded from the Yeti and Gryphons suddenly appearing from nowhere, and I lost a couple units to the Trolls under their initial assault because I couldn't keep all my units covered well enough to prevent 3-ways or even 2-ways on weaker units: RIP Sorceress and Dwarven Scout.

9, it's quick and fun, lots of exploring in the fog. Watching the monsters fight each other.

No complaints.

No, the Yetis never hit twice...
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

BTW, from the wiki:
Split your forces, sending one group west. The other group, with Kalenz, goes directly north, deals with the nearest enemy, and continues to the signpost.
I think "west" is supposed to be "east" - i.e. towards the trolls. Not sure why one would head west. And I'm also not sure one really has time to split forces before the enemy comes to you.

In my case I pushed everyone north and a little east to get dwarves into mountains, let everything come to me and once the initial assaults were dealt with, split into a eastern group of dwarves to mop up the trolls and a north/west group of elves to mop up the gryphons and run for the signpost.
This group should be large enough that you can peel off 4-6 units once you get most of the way north to take out the enemy in the far northwestern keep.
4-6 seems like overkill, in my case it was a lone gryphon leader left by the time I got there, a ranger, druid and sharpshooter were overkill. (I was expecting a surprise - e.g. sea serpents in the river - on the way to the signpost, so I kept most forces with Kalenz.)
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

1.8.5 Easy.

No. The objectives read kill both leaders *and* get to the corssroads before time runs out, but in actuality all you need to do is kill both leaders!

The bigfoot allusion was funny, but a hint to what else was coming at the start might have been nice. Perhaps something like: Orluf: "Acid-scarred bones. I'll warrant my battle axe will taste much blood today." Landar: "And will you be throwing your axe? Look at the size of these feathers. We shall need my bow far more than your axe." Kalenz: "Quiet, both of you. There is something else living in these mountains. I can hear it's howls echoing around these valleys!"

Level 4 Yetis on turn 3! Innumerable trolls attacking from the East - thank heavens they reached me at daylight. The Gryphon King sent a couple of gryphons that caught my flank unawares, but then I snuck a Ranger up for intel. I watched the tail-end of a fight between the Gryphon King and a Yeti. Unsurprisingly, it didn't end well for the Gryphon King.

4. It would have been a lot more fun if I'd known that I just had to kill both leaders.

If the Gryphon King (or Troll King) dies out of sight due to a Yeti, there ought to be some dialogue to indicate that. e.g. ROAR!!! Kalenz: "What was that?!?" Celodil: "Look! On that ridge. The Yeti. It's holding up the head of a Gryphon / Troll!"
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Medium, 1.8.4

8. Fighting two Yetis and seeing Gryphons and Trolls approaching...

Very unclear. I didn't know whether that would be "And" or "Or". Since I never saw any enemy fighting another enemy, it was unclear for me till the end; just now I figured that a Yeti killed the Gryphon leader. :)

fine

Beating the Yetis. I believe I saw every enemy approaching due to my scouting units, so I kept recalling while still at the keep, running negative and hoping for loot...

Clarify objectives, give a hint about enemy leader being killed by 3rd party. Better timing for this "it's monstrous" line, I didn't see a thing at that point...

I just replayed any failed slowing attacks on Yetis and when they killed my Druids on 70% terrain even when slowed...
I have a cunning plan.