V1.7/1.8 - Scenario Review: LoW 4 - The Elvish Treasury

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

V1.7/1.8 - Scenario Review: LoW 4 - The Elvish Treasury

Post by Content Feedback »

Post us a review of The Legend of Wesmere's Elvish Treasury scenario by answering the following questions:

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Schierke

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 4 - The Elvish Treasury

Post by Schierke »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1.8 medium.

Clear enough.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It was ok, i think the saurian dialogue reflect well their perceived nature.

Uhm, the saurians high mobility, skirmish and relative high damage made it hard to beat them without loyal units getting killed. It's somewhat hard to adapt to a battle where such a basic concept of the game (ZoC) is almost irrelevant.

Just because those lvl 2 saurians piss me off with their skirmish :annoyed:.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

It's fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Skirmishers ganging up on an important unit and killing it.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.2, medium

To finish 2, to finish without losing a loyal unit 5

Clear.

Average

Keeping a line together to protect injured units. I think I ended up over-recruiting, leaving me with 162 gold carry-over, which is less then the minimum apparently, which is not good. Probably will try again with few units.

5, lots of making sure you keep a line together, which seems to require conservative play.

By the time I freed the prisoners, the scenario was basically over and I was just mopping up the second Drake castle, which was just a wash at that point.

Lose, no. First time I had a couple loyal units get killed, so I replayed.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

I really need to look into this WML...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

hard; 1.8.1

Clear.

Fine.

I had to play it a few times to learn how to play against saurians. I wound up using overwhelming numbers of troops and a multilayered line. I lost three shamen and two scouts, one loyal and the other already promoted. I had to go into the next scenario with minimum gold.

6. It suffers from the usual problem of boring mop-up operations.

When the prisoners are freed, the scenario should either end or the enemy commander should suddenly pull reinforcements out of nowhere, so that there is a fight at the end.

Aside from normal failures, I would intend to hit control-v but then hit control-space by accident, since I can't tell the difference by touch, and this would of course force me to reload.

N/A
dsa

Post by dsa »

Medium, 1.8.3

With so many forests around, it wasn't very difficult and the eastern saurian made it even easier for me, because they split their army. Some units chased my scout, who conquered some cities in the middle and the north (and was faster than the saurians). Other saurians conquered some cities in the south and southwest, which means there were not much units, who attacked my main army and defended their leader.

Clear

It was okay.

None.

7, a pretty standard "kill all leaders" scenario, but fighting saurians provides some diversion from the orcs.

Maybe an additional (bonus) objective with the prisoners could be included, e. g. you only have a certain period of time to rescue them, or if you rescue them faster, you get more units as a reward.

No.
Yrth

Re: V1.7/1.8 - Scenario Review: LoW 4 - The Elvish Treasury

Post by Yrth »

Hard, 1.8.5

4, with a lot of l3 units this is not difficult, lost only the loyal scout because I didn´t pay attention and the l1 prisoners for which I didn´t care.

Clear and simple

ok

None

5, fighting saurians is a bit a special

Make releasing the prisoners more difficult, not just sending a scout in advance, make it an objective

None

Jabie

Re: V1.7/1.8 - Scenario Review: LoW 4 - The Elvish Treasury

Post by Jabie »

1.8.5 Easy

5. Saurians are pretty good in most terrain and skirmishing is a pain in the neck if you are trying to level key units for later on. You probably haven't had much opportunity ot level in the first couple of scenarios, so you really want to level up in this one.

Free the Prisoners. Kill the Saurians.

Upon moving to the Temple (which is presumably the Treasury), the unit ought to say something like "Damn! It's empty!"

Saurian skirmishers that had the potential to kill key units. Thankfully the AI is not as good as a human opponent would be.

5. Nothing special. Saurians are an enemy I haven't faced before

The Mushroom Patch in the middle of the Northern forest could offer a minor bonus. It sticks out a mile and is practically begging to be investigated (which is what I did with a spare unit). Maybe a full heal or Poison attacks for the rest of the scenario. That said it is in the middle of nowhere and by the time you got there, you've probably wrapped up the game anyhow.

No. A couple of close calls with some of the (loyal) units I wanted to level. Recruited a lot of cannon fodder to soak up the flak, then moved the units I wanted to level into position.

n/a