V1.7/1.8 - Scenario Review: LoW 3 - Ka'lian under Attack

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yrth

Re: V1.7/1.8 - Scenario Review: LoW 3 - Ka'lian under Attack

Post by Yrth »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard, 1.8.5

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
8, both for the first and second part

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Bonus! What bonus? In my first attempt I rushed the orc leader and killed him in the second turn, still waiting for my bonus, may be it can be noticed only later on, but at least the type of bonus should be explained

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very nice storyline with the late arrival of Kalenz

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
In my second attempt I defended the island successfully, I felt not extremely lucky but may be the timing of the attacks was just right for me, for the second part I had to reload several times due to loosing one of my loyals which can happen easily

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The defensive ball the orcs formed around the northwest keep makes for some interesting tactical variations, nevertheless orcs roaming freeling and attacking all over the map would be more realistic

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Loosing loyals

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Yrth wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard, 1.8.5

Bonus! What bonus? In my first attempt I rushed the orc leader and killed him in the second turn, still waiting for my bonus, may be it can be noticed only later on, but at least the type of bonus should be explained

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The defensive ball the orcs formed around the northwest keep makes for some interesting tactical variations, nevertheless orcs roaming freeling and attacking all over the map would be more realistic
Ah yes, I don't know the type of bonus myself, it is not implemented yet. I guess you can call the misleading text a bug.

The orcs don't always defend the northwest keep. The ai only decides to do so after an evaluation of the battlefield.
If you perform worse the orcs feel strong and enter the woods.
You did well with defending the Kalian so you got the harder task to go for the orcs in the hills.
At least at HARD difficulty most players should end up with the different ai setup.
I guess you are good at playing Wesnoth?
Can you reproduce the good result?
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1.8.5 Easy.

6/4. First part was a 6. It wasn't that hard, but I was worried that I'd lose Galtrid once I lost control of his forces. Once I'd survived the siege, I was able to make my stand in the Northern forest. Recruited / Recalled, then once I had a reasonable army told Galtrid to get himself to my Keep, as I don't trust the AI to look after him.

Pretty clear. Withstand the siege. Kill the Leaders.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Posion without Cure. Shamans help a bit, but aren't that great.

The Great Tree could have fruit which cured poison. As only one unit could use it a turn (and you'd have to plug that gap in your defence, it would hardly be abusive.

There was a random orc NPC hanging around the mountains like a bad smell. I finished him off, but had no idea what he was doing there.
Spoiler:
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Doopliss

Post by Doopliss »

1.8.5, hard

Crystal.

Clear, and not particularly interesting. Green's death-dialogue ("The tree-shaggers are defeating us") is likely to be false if triggered during the first 9 turns.

Mass-poisonings chewed through my army.

5 (7 for the first 9 turns)

Make Purple less overwhelmingly turtley. As a deliberate tactic it doesn't make sense, since it cedes so many villages to you and just prolongs his defeat, as well as being really annoying to crack.

The first time, my leader was butchered on turn 10 when I was banking on the scenario ending at 9. It was a cheesey tactic, and I take full blame. The second time, I took one look at the gigantic ball of Goblin Knights and gave up.
xanthan

Post by xanthan »

1.9.4 hardest

clear

clear, interesting, esp. when kalenz shows up

Keeping Galtrid alive once the AI takes over. He seems not to value his personal safety.

I expect it would be fun if Galtrid wasn't frustrating.

Change the AI so that Galtrid wants to live. I gave him lots of places behind the lines to retreat to, but no he wants to run out into the thick of things with only a couple of HP left. Recruiting shamen would be nice-- they were not available to me, only archers and fighters.

As mentioned above. In addition, only running for the northeast seemed to get me to a point where I would even have a chance. The options mentioned in previous forum comments aren't available anymore in 1.9.4 it seems: no fort available in the northeast before Kalenz arrives, and no shamen recruitable.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

@xanthan

You can sent galdrid to a save place using the context menu.
It is somewhere mentioned during the scenario.
varlokkur

Post by varlokkur »

Hi everyone,
I've posted a reply at the forum thread for the latest version of the game/scenario, here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 85#p488885. I can't get past this scenario and I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Medium, 1.8.6

10/3 (1st part, 2nd part)

Clear enough, except for the slaying-the-slayer-bonus.

I like the idea of Kalenz arriving during the battle.

Keeping my units alive; what else? :)
Of course all that poison without Druids is a major nuisance...

4. I just don't like to see my folks dying! (Tough campaign for me...)

Since Druids for Galtrid and Villages within the Ka'lian are probably not an option, at least make the allied ai less stupid. It majorly annoyed me to watch those precious units I saved being wasted so stupidly (most of them in the water), especially that one Druid I was able to level.

All those poisened units when I tried to hold the Ka'lian...

non habla wml.

When Galtrid regains control, he is not listed in the statistics!
I have a cunning plan.