V1.7/1.8 - 02 - Hostile Mountains

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 2 - Hostile Mountains

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
hard; 1.8.1

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I mostly skip past all dialogs in all scenarios as quickly as possible, but this time the dialog was good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
On hard, there are two major problems. The first is time. It's hard to win by beating the troll leader, due to time constraints and the terrain around his fortress. You can win by racing Kalenz to the signpost, as I did in the end. The second problem on hard is setting yourself up for the next battle, "Ka'lian Under Attack." You need to conserve money and it helps a lot to get a druid.

On any level, the major strategic problem is to figure out that you need to hang back a bit, taking only the northern tip of the island, rather than grabbing as much territory as you can at the start. This allows the dwarves to reach the trolls (and vice versa) and also induces the trolls into the water on the east side of the island.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
9, I love it.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
A hint about the value of promoting a shaman to druid for the next scenario would be nice, like "We have received word that a whole army of assassins is advancing on Ka'lian!"

I don't like the fact that trolls behave like semi-aquatic creatures. I would make them more conscious of terrain. It's a general problem with the AI in Wesnoth.

I'm not sure I like Landar. You know what I mean... he dies easily, causing you to lose. Why not make him just a normal loyal unit that can die? Or maybe start him as a ranger?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
It took several attempts to win on hard, losing due to time, Landar, or total slaughter. Then I had to go back and win again but more efficiently, after I realized I didn't have enough money in the next scenario.

I never had a problem with the dwarf leader dying, though one time he was down to just two men.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A

Replay attached.
LOW-Hostile_mountains_replay.gz
(34.61 KiB) Downloaded 991 times
dsa

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 2 - Hostile Mountains

Post by dsa »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.8.3

4, It depends on how early the dwarves are attacked and they engage. After my first contact with the trolls I decided that they are too strong and I would need more units. Thus I reloaded an earlier turn and recruited more units. But this time the trolls didn't only attack me, but also the dwarves. This made it much easier and led to the fact, that the additional recruited units weren't even necessary.

Maybe I overlooked something, but I don't understand why the dwarvish leader isn't allowed to die. Does he have any importance for the future? (I have only played the first four scenarios at the moment)

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was good.

The rockslobbers were quite difficult to beat, but with the help of the dwarves the scenario was no problem.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The aid of the dwarves is useful, but I think it is a bit too much and they do most of the work. They could have got a bit less gold.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Yrth

Re: V1.7/1.8 SP - Scenario Review: LoW 2 - Hostile Mountains

Post by Yrth »

Hard, 1.8.5

9, pretty tough, orcs were always entering dwarf territory very soon, otherwise it would be near to impossible

see other comments

well done

Not enough space here to list all, mainly killing l2 and l3 trolls with just l1 units, later some leveled units are helful, but one is always walking close to disaster

9, just great

None

Loosing loyal units, you can´t keep them out of the fight, you just need them

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
taptap

Re: V1.7/1.8 SP - Scenario Review: LoW 2 - Hostile Mountains

Post by taptap »

Getting some druids would help, but how you get druids if you can't recruit shamans? (Hard, 1.9.9)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.