Scenario Review: (UTBS) 1. The Morning After

Feedback for the mainline campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kingslayer

Re: Scenario Review: (UTBS) 1. The Morning After

Post by Kingslayer »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
1.10.0, Medium

2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
Didn't have much trouble, just right

3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly loose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
Nope. It's *lose, by the way

4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
Yeah, was good.

5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
Desert treks are usually a nightmare, so it was fun having units that were actually good there
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

1) Level and version? Nightmare, 1.11.12.
2) Adequately difficult? No, about a 2 out of 10. I don't think I lost a single unit. Give player less units. On Nightmare, you could have Pythos show up alone (or with one other unit so that the dialog can stay the same.) Another thing that makes it easy is the timing: my attack on the enemy stronghold occured during the long day. To slow down the player, you could possibly insert a mountain range. If you make the mountain range circular around the keep (possibly enclosing all his villages, so pretty big), then to a careful eye it would look like an ancient giant crater, especially with the circular hill that you already have around the keep. (Think Mars Curiosity's site.) I think that would add some nice texture, with the characters already whining about their misfortune as if it was completely unexpected. It would be ironic if they had missed the historical evidence that they had seen nearly every day of their lives.
3) Reloads? None.
4) Dialog? Super duper. One sentence ends in a preposition ("of.")
5) Fun? Yes, good job. Mood is great, but it's disappointing to wind up fighting undead instead of space aliens.
Attachments
UtBS-The_Morning_After_replay.gz
(38.39 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on?
Medium, BfW 1.12.1

2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
It seemed a little too easy, but maybe I was just lucky in the right moments. The only dense moment was when my Druid jumped in the water and...

3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly lose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
No.

4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues?
Yes. I thought it was a nice introduction.

5) Do you think the scenario was fun?
Yes (6).

I really think a note about Kaleh's unusual advancement would have been nice. (Why should I put XP in a unit when it's XP is purple?)
I have a cunning plan.
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

(1) Hard, BfW 1.12.1
(2) A bit too easy imo.
3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly lose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
(3) Kaleh was poisoned and then endangered :mrgreen: Garak was killed at the 6 turn (too strong mudcrawlers!)
(4) Cool :)
(5) Yeah, it was cool. (9/10) 9 points because there weren't any villages on the west, though I sent scouts here.
Attachments
PPS-Następny_ranek-Autozapis25.gz
(50.47 KiB) Downloaded 727 times
nikita1996

Post by nikita1996 »

1) v1.12.4 difficulty:Desert Sentinel (challenging)
2) Generally yes. This is the first scenario. It shouldn't be too hard. I think it's quite easy.
3) No.
4) I love it. The pictures in the starting is beautiful. Stories are magical, fancinating and exciting. The only problem is, the task or the aim is not described very clearly. It's hard to let players know that the island in the centre of the map must be reached. If the player do not reach that island, the scenario can't be finished. I think this should be added to "Scenario Objectives". Only informing players in the dialogue isn't enough.
5) Yeah, it's fun. Exploring on the large sand is exciting.
Attachments
My game replay.
(38.08 KiB) Downloaded 720 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

1) Level, version? 1.12.5 nightmare
2) Adequately difficult? 4/10. No, it was extremely easy - I didn't even lose any units.
3) Reloads? No restarts/reloads
4) Dialog? -
5) Fun? The first half is great, but in the second half the undead are too weak to be a challenge. Probably should be made harder to match the tone of the rest of the campaign.
Attachments
(38.57 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

1) Version? 1.13.7, Challenging (new elves)

2) Adequately difficult? Difficulty level is about right, maybe a touch too easy. I didn't lose any units, but then again, I'm probably playing on too low a difficulty rating here, but the word 'Nightmare' scared me off the maximum rating.

3) Reloads? No reloads required.

4) Dialog? Good story and world-building. As to dialogue:
The unit saying "This is our training ground..." just bugs me, because the elves all know that, it feels like it breaks the fourth wall. I'd suggest something like "I can see the training ground..."
Garak's reference to Hunters is no longer...nevermind, I see that's already flagged for a fix.
It doesn't make sense to me that Kaleh is chosen as leader just because of his bloodline, I think it would be better if he's put in charge because of his dreams, but I'm not a Quenoth elf, so yeah.

5) Fun? Scenario flows well, I like that it works whichever way around the camp you travel.
Garak's teaching ability is very cool indeed.
Kaleh and Nym having Purple xp bars as if they can't level up is misleading, I spent three levels not upgrading them in order to not waste the experience. Is it possible to recolour their bars to the standard blue? Or if not, at least stating something about their non-standard AMLAs in their descriptions?
You have to wonder why the Quenoth elves even built all these fortifications, since they convey them no actual defensive bonuses :p
Some of the events that trigger on move-to events seem to fire at weird times. I think many of them could be moved to sighted events and that might cause them to fire at more appropriate times.

Quenoth Elves feedback generally
Enjoying the new faction. I really like how they don't play like just the regular elves with impact attacks anymore, and hope that when they're done all the units will be distinctively non-standard. I like the art, and look forward to when the horses, shamans and the flanker line have had a proper transformation to look properly Quenoth too.
The Tarochs are just too big to be level 1 sprites, maybe a smaller animal could be made?
The Dazed weapon special doesn't seem to fire on defense. I don't see why that would be a thing, but if it is it should be mentioned in the description
Replays from UTBS cause OOS when I recall my Dust Devil. Odd.
Attachments
(36.37 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.

1.12.6, Challenging

Good for a first episode warm up. It was a little challenging at first with the mud-things and the cuttlefish was a pain. The undead were fairly straight-forward as you have enough units to rotate through and, besides the enemy leader, the enemy doesn't have enough firepower to kill you if you keep your formation tight.

No.

4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?

Generally very good. Bringing up the keep to the east at the beginning caused me to be unsure about going east or south.

5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.

Nicely different in many ways with the new elves and the finding of allies instead of recruiting.

I did find it weird there were villages out in the desert. Seems like a lot of running scouts around for little reason (two units I think?)
Attachments
(36.85 KiB) Downloaded 679 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Since this is entirely new experience, I do believe this is a good and fresh start for different campaign

- Not at all

- It's also very nice. Set in the distant future, lots of things have changed and eerie and horror elements seem to be welcome in here. I find the charaters Kaleh, Zhul, Nym & Garak as some kind of likable and relatable

- I loved seeing the new and different sprites, thinking at first I'd have regular elves adapted to sand. It's fun for starters
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.7, Champion (Nightmare)

2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level?

Yes, for getting used to Quenoth Elves. Otherwise no, because Undead on sand are easy pickings for them.

No.

Very, evidenced by the fact that I'm playing it the 6-7th time or something like that.

Yup. ^^
Attachments
UtBS-The Morning After replay.gz
(33.43 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.5 Hard
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
The difficulty is just right.
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly lose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
No.
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
I can see the dialogues are long and well-crafted, but they take more time that I am willing to spend.
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
It is a surprise to find the elves as desert-dwellers, but other than that the campaign is not so much different from the rest. There is a long night, which increases difficulty, but that is not so big a change. The units are mostly the same, with some new abilities like camouflage and sustain (I still haven't found out what is that). The level is fun as it is.
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am 1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
1.14.11 Champion/Nightmare no reloading
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am 2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
Some of the popup scripting is unfair and potentially fatal if not knowing about it beforehand. Otherwise its too easy.
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am 3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly lose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
No because I know the scripting. But the popups of the sea monster and the enemies next to Garak (if coming from the other/left side) are especially prone to be fatal at least to some unit.
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am 4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
Its ok except that I dislike the "kaleh leader" part/s. As this is the base of the campaign you would have to change the whole campaign and I dont see you doing that.
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am 5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
The early parts are good. Later on against the undead it becomes too "anti AI technical" ~= how to outplay the AI.
Attachments
(38.6 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
JoelPera

Post by JoelPera »

Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am 1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
1.14.14, Champion/Nightmare
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am 2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
It was fine.
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am 3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly lose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
No!
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am 4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
I played this years ago and didn't finish, happy to see the wide array of changes to art/units.
Content Feedback wrote: March 20th, 2006, 6:40 am 5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
Good enough as per difficulty set in tune with it being the first "warm-up" scenario.

One thing I can think of though, labelling tiles would have helped. For examples, when they say "check out the stables" I had no idea where to go and that those two villages nearby were the ones. Ditto or temple in the middle and the barracks.

Edit: fix broken markup
Attachments
(35.46 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.15, Champion (Nightmare)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

6-7, as long as you stay calm.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Not getting greedy for xp.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-

Scenario stats:
Fail (2)
Spoiler:
Success (3)
Spoiler:
Attachments
UtBS-The Morning After replay 20210818-225019.gz
(36.26 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
UtBS-The Morning After replay 20210817-222927 fail 2.gz
(28.46 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

1.16.2/easiest level offered forgot the name (was in german anyways, no idea what the original is)

2) Do you think the difficulty is apropriate to the level? If not describe the problem that made the scenario too easy/hard.
The campaign is "expert" and I chose the easiest of the 3 levels so I guess that'd made it normal? I'd say that was about right then. The warning at start about the different elf stats and ToD seems a bit much. I doubt it makes that much difference. But I mostly play UMC eras etc. so new mechanics are no problem for me. <shrug>

I never reload. The game went smoothly though although at once point I made an error and exposed Nym to too much danger, I did have one wounded unit unmoved and managed to partially cover her and she was not targetted by AI anyways in the next turn. So I guess the fragility of the 2 youths is a weak point although it will always be the players fault if they do not take that into account.

Love it.

Yes it was a lot of fun. Finding new stuff as you explore is just fantastic. Much better than just a plain old kill the leader battle.