Scenario Review: (UTBS) 1. The Morning After

Feedback for the mainline campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Buddy Jimm

Re: Scenario Review: (UTBS) 1. The Morning After

Post by Buddy Jimm »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

1.2.4, "Normal" Difficulty

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

2. It's a grand display of the superiority of Quenoth elves on sand. Not much challenge from the mud-monsters or fish, and the undead are so comparitively slow that they can be comfortably poked even at night. This is all definitely a good thing, as it gives the player a chance to be introduced to the new day cycle.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Fairly clear. As long as it's easy to stumble upon the events, I consider a little lack of direct guidance a good thing.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Dialog is fairly clear. It introduces the main characters and their personalities/relationships well.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Not much. With sand everywhere there's plenty of error margin.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

10. It's a well-setup introduction.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Maybe invent some useful or entertaining reason to check out the surrounding camps. Coming up empty every time adds a nice foreboding feel, but if nothing else the dialog could use variance.
ponkan

Post by ponkan »

quartex wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(1) Version 1.3.2, Hard

(2) This is always the most difficult question.... about a 5, I'd say.

(3) Clear enough.

(4) Didn't expect to get two scouts in the beginning, due to that bit being said about the one horse being the only one that the scout was able to keep calm. But the dialog was interesting, made me want to know more about the Quenoth Elves.

(5) Trying not to lose anyone (achieved through the judicious use of the Hunters' bola -- good job on the hinting in dialog!), dealing with the Necromancer at the last parts, when we're fighting over dunes (skellies got 50% defence) or castle, and the AI was able to summon a revenant every second turn, about.

(6) Fun, 7~8. Having that great defence in the sand was fun after every other scenario I played where fighting on sand was suicide. The new day/night cycle is also more interesting, sure you've got lots of daylight but the Long Dark is long! I also remember that I almost shat my pants the first time I played the scenario some months ago and rescued the Zhul only to get this terrifying thing appear out of nowhere. Was I ever glad of swarm!

(7) One thing I'd do probably is to re-do the objectives so that the do-not-lose list reflects who's in the party at the moment. References to Zhul when you've only got Kaleh and Nym can be confusing.... But the mud creature battles were set up where you could do them without losing anybody, and the Necromancer's timing is just spot on I think -- neither too early nor too late. I'm always just finishing up the last of the mud creatures when he makes his appearance.
There is no good, nor evil. Things are; that is all.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Revenant:

All that's left of this village...blah blah blah.
I fear for the elves that lived here.

xD.

If a revenant retakes a village u took, it gives the same message ;).
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

1: 1.3.11 - Nightmare :twisted:
2: 4. It's a very good startup scenario. The relatively long amount of time you spend in broad daylight with very limited undead movement lets you rack up a serious amount of levelled units for the first scenario in a campaign. This is nice for the beginning of the campaign.
3: They evolve, as they should. Its clear both for a beginner and for someone who knows how the scenario will evolve.
4: Excellent.
5: Releasing my perfectionism (OMG MY ONE UNIT DIED). It wasn't that big of a challenge <_<.
6: 10. Excellent beginning to a campaign.
7: None. The extensive revisions to this campaign have perfected the first scenario.
miekka

Post by miekka »

1) 1.27, the easiest (Normal)
2) 4, well balanced for a starter scenario
3) Clear enough, no problems with those.
4) Very nice introduction.
5) Not much of those, the octopus was a nasty surprise though
6) 6. As I said, well balanced.
7) can't say
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Please note new set of questions in the first post and use these for feedback from now on.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
stegyre

Post by stegyre »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
Version 1.4.4. Nightmare.
2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
As others have noted (perhaps with regard to earlier versions), this is an easy scenario in a hard campaign. On the most difficult level, I am able to level several units and, with only a little luck, have no losses.

I don't think this needs to be changed, but the one minor change that would make it substantially harder would be for the necromancer to recruit more bats. Those, particularly in large numbers, are really his most dangerous units.
3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly loose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
Nope.
4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
I thought they were fine.
5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
Probably my favorite campaign. I love how we get choices on how to develop the main character. In fact, I wish that (a) that were possible for more/all units, and (b) the paths were mutually exclusive (i.e., it was not merely a choice of do I make him a better swordsman now or later, but rather, I can learn bolas, but then I'll never get to be as good a swordsman as I would if I focused on that skill).
Optional
5) Do you think the scenario's WML is clear and commented well enough? If not which part would you like to see improved?
I thought this was fine.

FWIW: my strategy in this scenario.
(1) Send Kaleh south to trigger the elves and crawlers in the first set of villages, and send the southern archer south to trigger the second set of elves and crawlers, all on turn 1.
(2) Meanwhile, Nym heads east, nominally toward the keep, but really aiming for the green. She releases the scouts by turn 3. The second scout (after being released by the first scout) heads toward the training ground to trigger Garak and his crew. The next turn, that scout will head across the bridge to trigger the shaman.
(3) Within two or three turns of first being triggered, the crawlers should be gone, and the cuttlefish won't last much longer. The foot troops are and have been resting in villages and slowly making their way north to what will be the new front, when the necromancer appears.
(4) The scouts sweep the outlying villages. The first scout (after releasing the second scout) sweeps east to capture the two villages on that side and clear the map down to the bottom. The second scout, after leaving the island, will first go south, then west, then north, clearing the west side of the map. A couple of foot troops from the first village group will already have headed north after they healed up and will capture the two northern villages before the scout ever reaches.
(5) By the time the necromancer appears, I have a small front to his west and a large front to his south. Both groups will attempt to lure out any bats to surround and destroy them before his ground troops can catch up.

Beyond that, the elves' superior mobility and the devastating effect of their bolas on the undead (and swords on any adepts) make this an easy win. Focus on leveling a few characters rather than spreading the experience around, with particular emphasis on the druid and (if they have good traits) the shaman: shydes and stars are worth their investment. Give Kaleh bolas asap: the ability to slow and a good impact weapon against undead will prove themselves again and again.

Favorite units (for the campaign, not necessarily the scenario): high-level hunters ("skirmishing and bolas, oh my!") and back-stabbing rangers ('nough said).
FaiKHR

Post by FaiKHR »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.

Easy, 1.7.8

2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.

Well seeing as when i first played through this campaign long ago i found it too hard i decided to go for easy ( also trying out the newest wesnoth version ). I didn't really have to make many sacrifices so yes it was adequate.

3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly loose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?

Nope.

4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?

Yes, i like the story line and how it progressed.

5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.

Yeah i really like in this scenario how you cannot recuit. I love this idea and the change of objectives is a great way to develop the story.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.8.4, Desert Sentinel (Challenging)

Neither too easy nor too hard.

No, there wasn’t.

So far the story and dialogue seem very good. No changes are necessary.

At first I was surprised that Kaleh cannot go beyond level 1, but when I managed to level him up I was pleasantly surprised. I just hope I don’t regret picking archery for his advancement.

Kaleh’s description surprised me at first as he has neither leadership nor a slowing attack, but I guess those are things that are received later.

Yes, the scenario was fun. It’s certainly different from the beginnings of other campaigns, and that made it both more enjoyable and more challenging, since I had to get used to lawful units, good defense on desert, and a different day-night cycle.

Optional
6) Do you think the scenario's WML is clear and commented well enough? If not which part would you like to see improved?
Very well commented.

Since I had prepared answers for the standard questions for this scenario I’ll post them as well.

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, Desert Sentinel (Challenging)

6 – a lot of enemies, especially undead, which left me with a lot of wounded units

Clear

Very good.

Avoiding losses since it seemed like I can’t recruit new units (and turned out it really is so). Also making the most of my three healers and what villages there were.

Last, but not least, the leader with his magical attacks.

8 – it’s certainly different from the other campaigns

Either reveal a bit more of the map at the start, or at least give some hint where everything is. This is the elves’ home, so they should know everything is, but the player doesn’t (at least not the first time you play the scenario). Also, give a hint that the player should keep his units together in a group. While it’s not required it certainly makes everything much easier in this particular scenario.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Just my desire to not lose any units.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

I played on the easiest setting. Enjoyed the scenario very much. Not too hard, but not too much of a cakewalk either.

Two things:

When you've found everyone a piece of dialogue saying "Well I'm pretty sure that's everyone!" would have been nice.
A skull on a spike to North-East and an event "Hmm maybe we should try to round everyone up first" would give ample clues to prevent the Necromancer being found too soon / not knowing where the Necromancer is.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Most difficult, 1.8.4

It's on the easy side, without being too easy. You get numerous troops and the terrain is favourable, so if you play carefully it's possible to win with very few loses (unless you get very unlucky). I understand that's an introductory scenario of sorts, meant to make you familiar with the setting and the modified rules, so being easier than the rest makes sense.

No problems here

It's pretty good, each character has a distinct personality, and the setting is worthy of a fantasy novel. I also like the way the dialogue is meant to guide you more than the objectives do. My only issue with the dialogue is a matter of taste: I find the constant reference to their goddess slightly annoying. Also, I'm impressed that Kaleh seems to be a weak character, which is not necessary bad, he may be proved to be a puppet leader, for instance, which would be an interesting twist. I suspect the elves being religious and Kaleh weak is part of the storyline, so it's fine.

Yeah, it's very fun! Among other things, I enjoyed the incorporation of rpg elements, the modification of the default rules, the storyline, and the way the scenario "evolves".
Linux. Space technology.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Playing this campaign for the first time, should be interesting. I'm using Maiklas3000's way of reviewing (Hope you don't mind) with my added question.

(1) Difficulty, version? Challenging, 1.9.4
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 5
(3) How clear? Clear every time
(4) Dialog? Excellent
(5) Challenges? My healer was a ways behind my main army and she had to catch up
(6) How fun? (1-10) 7: A great way to start a unique campaign
(7) Changes? None
(8) Reloads or restarts? Almost lost Nym. OMG, I was scared
(9) WML? Good
(10) Replay? Attached (You'll know what part I was afraid of when you see it)
(11) Map? Big and nice
Attachments
UtBS-The_Morning_After_replay.gz
(32.86 KiB) Downloaded 748 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on?
1.9.6, top difficulty, no reloads

2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level?
5/10 to minimize losses and distribute experience efficiently, I like it.

Finished in turn 26/30, 2 losses 37 kills

4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues?
They look very good, though I don't care much about the dialogues.

5) Do you think the scenario was fun?
10/10, it can't be better.

Two things, the "Rescue Elves" quest was not closed, not sure if I missed something or what.
Finally, watching my replay I found 3 villages in the desert that I didn't notice... I even reloaded just to find out they are abaddoned. Probably they are a bit too far in the desert, should be visible while playing.
Attachments
(34.04 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

1) Version and difficulty? 1.9.7, nightmare
2) Sufficiently difficult? Yes, on the easy side, which is fine for a first scenario.
3) Losing events? I restarted from start after the undead killed a critical unit.
4) Storyline and dialog? Pretty awesome.

The dialog events along the eastern side have your leader talking even when someone else is doing the exploring, which then makes no sense if the leader is far away. Why not have the closest unit talk? (And then when he's having a dialog with someone else, you need to make sure that either you have two distinct people or that the conversation makes sense even if one person is doing both sides of it.)

In this rather apocalyptic and depressing situation, I think there might be some missed opportunities for comic relief, like when they first see a Mudcrawler, you could parody the SNL Bill Murray - Steve Martin skit, "What in the hell is that?" "What the... oh, I know what that is... no, that's not it... what the hell is that?!" "Hey, you, kid, don't go near that thing!" "I would not mess with that thing." "Don't put your lips on it!" "Oh. Oh, no." "I told him not to put his lips on that thing." "What the hell is that thing?!"

5) Fun, game play, and atmosphere? It's my last mainline campaign, and what a great choice to do last, since it turns the game on its head. Sometimes I don't like the changes, but mostly it's pretty awesome. The cuttlefish battle area is well constructed to make it a challenge without being especially deadly. That cuttlefish seemed awfully wimpy, though. Not standard, is he? Maybe you should make him a Young Cuttlefish from the Inky's Quest campaign. Or else start him already wounded.
6) WML? Well commented.

This is my last campaign to do on the hardest difficulty setting without any save-reloads. Note that I have modified the configuration files to use the full recruit list specified in the scenarios, as per this post.
Attachments
(33.26 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 - Medium

2/10 Very easy scenario. No matter where you decide to fight the bad guys – you will always have the terrain and mobility advantage. But it's okay for the first level of the campaign.

No.

It was good.

8/10 I really, really enjoyed it. The intro was nice as was cluelessly roaming the devastated city and gathering your troops.