Scenario Review: (UTBS) 2. Across the Harsh Sands

Feedback for the mainline campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: (UTBS) 2. Across the Harsh Sands

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly lose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. 102 challenging 112 normal
2. 4, not very and had plenty of units
3. move north... seemed clear
4. clear and interesting enough
5. definitely the sun was the main enemy. though the ghosts in 102 were pretty nasty, they seemed much less a problem in 112
6. 1... but only because it kept crashing on me and took forever to get through. without the constant crashing id say 6. running from oasis to oasis was certainly interesting. really showed the importance of scouts
7. seems alright.
8. 486 gold

always seem to have a ton of gold playing this campaign
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
dthurston

Re: Scenario Review: (UTBS) 2. Across the Harsh Sands

Post by dthurston »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.1.2+SVN, normal difficulty

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
I was confused when I first saw the Black Hand sign, because I thought I had killed the bandits earlier.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Making sure my leaders don't die. There are a large number of leaders, and you need to make sure that none of them are ever exposed. Nym, for instance, is easy to kill.

Also the desert sun, of course. My units are lawful so fight better in the day, but during the day my units (but not the enemy) took pretty severe extra damage.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it clearer when you see the sign that these are more bandits from the same group.

Also, I encountered some bugs: all my units seemed to have backstab (at least in the damage calculation dialog), and the gold ring didn't work, perhaps because the scout who picked it up quickly went up a level. Also, the gold ring was created under one of my units so I didn't notice it immediately.

(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
cordobatim

Post by cordobatim »

1.0.2 Easy
7. The dehydration element made the scenario more difficult. I avoided most of the enemies (trolls, etc.), but it was still a bit of a challenge. Looking back, I wish I'd fought everyone to get more experience
Clear enough.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Both clear and interesting. Some of the introductions and dialogs in UtBS are a bit long; I was anxious to get to the action and sometimes skimmed through things pretty quickly.
The whole dehydration thing is major. It's an interesting twist. Looking back, I probably should have recruited more shamans.
6. The frustration level almost topped the fun level.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
One more oasis? Nah, the challenge is good for us.
( 8 ) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
pjr

Post by pjr »

quartex wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.1.2+svn, Easy
Very clear.
The first four parts of the story at the beginning don't seen relevant to the plot. It isn't clear that it's very advantageous to keep Elyssa alive. Otherwise OK.
The ghosts make it difficult to save wounded units.
It's possible to trigger encounters with a single scout that's far away from the rest of the army. This can cause chaos, e.g. it may be impossible to save Elyssa, and bandits and undead may fight each other. I suggest triggering the encounters only when one of the hero units enters an area of the map.
Sly

Post by Sly »

pjr wrote:It's possible to trigger encounters with a single scout that's far away from the rest of the army. This can cause chaos, e.g. it may be impossible to save Elyssa, and bandits and undead may fight each other. I suggest triggering the encounters only when one of the hero units enters an area of the map.
I found out too, but Elyssa (cool, I never remember her name :P ) is quick, so safe from undeads, and triggering the outlaw made them come after me so I gained time (and time is money 8) )
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

I'd just point out that most of the enemies appear too close to react properly... given the random appearance of the ghosts, it is sometimes difficult to impossible to save units harmed by the sun.

The fact that encounters are triggered by a sole scout approaching were of major annoyance as well, and led to some save/load, for example when I met Elyssa, a randomly appearing ghost made her escape from the undead impossible, and the support was, of course, far behind, having discovered her with a rider.

The ample number of bandits at the end of the level proved to be a major cause of save-load: three hits at night are sufficient to deal thirty damage, leaving most units next to dead, and heroes in grave danger.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

normal, 1.17

If you were abusing your Dryads it was pretty easy - you just had to watch to keep everyone gathered - 3
As I don't have the habit to farm/milk my enemies for exp it was finished pretty fast

Pretty clear, even when changing in the mid of the map

I really liked the idea - and the fact mentioned in point (2) added to the feeling of a big desert trek =]
I just didn't find any other roads bar the first on leading to he NE from the starting base, so I'm wondering if there are any more ?

Keeping my trekkies organized to avoid dehydration - normally I enjoy rushing out with everyone if theres just 1-2 enemies left, but had to stop that habit in this scenario.

Its great !

Perhaps add some more another tiles ? - or if there is one, make it more easy to find. It feels abit strange that those roads are mentioned in the plot but then there is just 1 leading to the first oasis.

(8) Gold amount:
tatali0n

Post by tatali0n »

The middle one (normal difficulty?)
7 - Challenging

Though this is only my second campaign, having just finished HTTT. The idea of desert elves (reminded me of that old ADnD campaign set) drew me in to it, despite knowing it was a somewhat non-Wesnoth-standard campaign.
Crystal. Go north, young grasshopper. Couldn't be simpler.
Dead clear. Especially seeing it realised in the burning sun damage stuff - that was great. Very immersive. Really drove home the apocalyptic desert / medieval mad max feel of the campaign.
Having just got used to elves being lawful and changing tactics accordingly, suddenly, they're getting burned by the sun. That said, I all but neutralised the problem by recalling the two shaman in addition their druidess leader, so after loosing the one scout I recruited in the ambush at the first Oasis, I gave up on bothering about night and day and just advanced my party directly north in a tight group around my healers until I found the ogres.
8. The unpredictability of the ghosts appearing and disappearing became frustrating. Expecially once fighting the ogres and bandits at the end.
None.
( 8 ) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
About 200ish. Can't remember exactly.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

• What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium (challenging) / version 1.1.11

• How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6/10 - Once I started using healers right.

• How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Finefinefine.

• How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Well, the intro was spoiled by the dead father cliche. It would have worked fine without mentioning his dad. Also, the old captain guy's speech about his old battle would work better if it was clipped. Removing the parts "It was a tough battle..." through to "...till we cut off his head" would improve it.
Forgive me, I'm a nitpicker. Apart from those things it was good, much better then the textual diarrhea that usually passes for storyline in Wesnoth.
EDIT: I forgot to mention, that 'ring of travel' buisiness was really contrived. "We're in the middle of a hot desert and the dehydration is kicking our arses. Oh look, the scorpian dropped a ring. Golly, look at these runes, this ring will protect us from the desert!" As it was, the ring wasn't even useful.
The holy water thing wasn't quite as contrived, but it came close. However it made up for it by being useful later on.

• What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Surprisingly enough, the sun didn't give me much trouble. The bandits were pretty nasty though.

• How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7/10 - Very enjoyable. Ever-so-slightly spoiled by anxiety over missing encounters.

• What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Bigger gold bonus at the end! I finished about 20 turns early and didn't even get 200 gold for it.

• How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
Can't remember. Somewhere in the region of 300.
tan2

Post by tan2 »

Challenging 1.1.11

9, if only one healer; 5, if two healers

"Reach the northern edge of the desert", very clear

Unpredictable and nice plot. Buring sun is an interesting idea. The mirage oasis is another plus.

Kill the bandits before the ghosts killed them :)

None

Imp

Post by Imp »

Challenging, 1.2

4. It was more annoying than hard.

Very clear.

Clear, but boring. Its redeeming feature is that the previous scenario had piqued my interest enough to keep me going.

The stupid heatstroke. At the END of my turn BEFORE THE ENEMY ATTACKS, making it EASIER for THEM to KILL ME!

3. It was more annoying than fun, especially with the scorpions and the ghosts who disappear before I can clean them up for XP. And especially that darn heatstroke, always having to budget on my troops having 5 less HP than they really do at the end of my turn. The whole heat/oasis thing could have been interesting, but as it is, it doesn't play much of a role other than as a nuisance.

Implement the heatstroke better or remove it. Warn us about the scorpions - give us a fighting chance!

I can't remember. Around 300, I guess.
multilis

Playing mainline using wesnoth version 1.3.3

Post by multilis »

There is a notice playing this as mainline in version 1.3.3 that some things have changed and some stuff might be broken.

You no longer get damaged by the heat of day, instead your melee attack is weakened. I prefer the old way.

You find a ring of protection from damage of the sun that now does no good, as no one gets damage and it doesn't seem to help your melee attack.

Ghosts didn't seem to disappear when the sun comes up anymore.

Additions to post after playing more: Ghosts now disappear if you put up a good fight.

The ring may actually help if given to a unit not already melee depleted, he doesn't deplete any more.

The bandit leader saw my strong force coming his way and did what any sensible leader would do, he joined me! (lol) Unfortunately he seems to only be able to recruit more elves, it would be nice if he could recruit some of his bandit friends to help in the later levels. ;)

Oasis doesn't seem to help recovery of melee, so you just get used to fighting mostly ranged until your units upgrade a level.

Unfortunately with the bandit leader working for me, I can't seem to finish the level as I can't kill him. As well loading a saved game has a bunch of error messages about certain variables with invalid charactors after.
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

"Normal" 1.2.4

4. While the advantage of sand is still present, I'm challenged to choose units wisely and position healers more carefully both while traveling and fighting.

Clear. Get to north edge, defeat bandit leader who also happens to be there, beware of taking damage between oases.

Good dialog. The stories around the empire and sceptre are nice hints about the story without giving everything away. Given that Garak can point out Pinnacle Rock, however, it's a little weird that you can't see it.

Seeing the bandit leader cough up Lv2 units was a minor surprise. Makes me wonder if switching in another hunter might have been a good idea.

7. It makes you think on your feet without turning the map into a bloodfest.

I also played the in-progress version this far. It might just be me, but between the two, I think taking the burn-damage made me think harder about fights and unit positioning than having weaker attacks did.

I've also run into save-loading from triggering events too soon, but I can't think of what could realistically be done about that wihout making the scenario weird.

After taking out the bandit leader, I spent some of the remaining turns sending everyone but Kaleh southeast to grab Xp off ghosts and ogres. I know the map layout is changing, but in this case I think it would've been funny if some folks started griping about being sent out needlessly.

Detritus2099

Across the Harsh Sands Bandit Leader

Post by Detritus2099 »

The Bandit Leader in Across the Harsh Sands is currently coming up as an ally, but the scenario will not finish unless he is dead...

Not particularly easy!

This is using 1.3.3
Monkeys!!