Scenario Review: (UTBS) 8. Out of the Frying Pan...

Feedback for the mainline campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Pater-Brown wrote:uhh, it runs half the time. Again it quits BfW. But this time as the undead emissary wants to fade. Curious is, that I thought, directly after Nym's speech should appear new objectivities, but it doesn't. Right away the emissary comes and fades and before he is killed it quits BfW.
Try this scenario again in 1.1.4, I bet the problem has been fixed.
doctored

Getting crashes in the above ground part under 1.1.4 on mac

Post by doctored »

seems like i get a lot of crashes during the ai turn right around turn 39.

crash log follows:

scenario: '8_OutoftheFryingPan'
has snapshot: yes
setting replay to end...
scenario: '8_OutoftheFryingPan'
error display: could not open image ''
recall index: 15
recall index: 14
recall index: 2
/Users/src/jeux/wesnoth-1.1.4/MacCompileStuff/../src/unit_map.cpp:55: failed assertion `res.second'

updated> seems like 115 fixes this issue great campaign very fun. thnaks for all the hard work to bring this to us.
I'm not a doctor but I do play one on TV.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

My flying Desert Star drowned in shallow water? o_O
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:My flying Desert Star drowned in shallow water? o_O
*anyone* drowned in shallow water? :?

shallow water means you can swim in it... you should only drown in deep water.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

Well, I had put my Star on the shallow water; I don't know if it was supposed to change into deep water before displaying the drowning message, but it didn't look like it; and it doesn't seem like a flying unit should drown if it can move over the water anyway. :?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Well, I had put my Star on the shallow water; I don't know if it was supposed to change into deep water before displaying the drowning message, but it didn't look like it; and it doesn't seem like a flying unit should drown if it can move over the water anyway. :?
AFAK the Star doesn't have the fly over water ability just for this situation : any unit is suposed to drown when water rise.

Secondly I think you're right : the drowning message preceded the graphic change of shallow water into deep water
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Sly wrote:Secondly I think you're right : the drowning message preceded the graphic change of shallow water into deep water
No elf can enter deep water. So any unit in shallow water will drown next turn. The WML code actually changes the terrain from shallow to deep water before any death cries are displayed, but the Wesnoth engine doesn't update the screen beforehand.
Elvish_Pillager

[redraw]
[/redraw]
Elvish_Pillager

- If the last of the three human opponents who appear near the beginning of the scenario is killed by drowning, odd dialogue ensues.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Elvish Pillager wrote:[redraw]
[/redraw]
Yes, I tried that, and it doesn't work.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Elvish Pillager wrote:- If the last of the three human opponents who appear near the beginning of the scenario is killed by drowning, odd dialogue ensues.
There's currently a string freeze on wesnoth, so that will have to be fixed later.
Elvish_Pillager

Work around that obstacle! All you need to do is make it so that some other elf says the lines that the killing unit normally would, since they aren't particularly related to the actual killing of the unit.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Problem fixed.
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
normal, 1.17

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Challenging, but doable with some (major) losses - 8

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Running away from water before drowning ?
Nothing there which you can't understand ^^

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The idea with the water is great - big thumbs up :D

arrogant Goddess ? - still have to figure out what this means - but she seems abit too arrogant - at least this explains why she sounded that way back in the first scenarios :wink:

The humans seem to be a stereotype so far - you tried to differenciate the dwarves and trolls and even gave some color to the undead - too bad the humans are just bad "because we need an enemy for this map" so far
I really hope there will be some revealing plot that they are more than just xenophobic :p

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
1st part: I recruited a Desert Hero the first time I played -it was so frustrating seeing him drowing even I moved with him the first time and he never got into any battle delaying him.... :evil:

2nd part:
Scouting - I had to reload because the first time my Scout triggered the events with the enemy leader so fast that i still was in the middle of the cavern with all my other troops - the fight took place in the hilly terrain which was a major disadvantage (both sides had 50% evade instead of 60%/40% in the desert)
After reloading and walking to the eastern side of the cavern before scouting (just 2 turns of difference) it was a bloody mess, but easily doable if you recruited enough Bowman.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
except for the drowning of slow units (<6 MP) I enjoyed it - especially the turn-around of objectives again -> 7

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
see point 5) - perhaps give a hint that troops with 5MP can't make it under no circumstances ?
Lost my wielder of the flaming sword this way >_<

Fpr the ghosts: Any hint when they will appear would be really helpful - or if they just wouldn't attacke the turn they pop up =/

(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
talkitron

Cannot Finish With No Gold

Post by talkitron »

Playing on medium, 1.1.8. I was not being financially wise, so that before the battle I cannot recruit additional troops. I had -290 gold. The characters that navigated the river:

3rd level troll
2 3rd level Avengers
Main characters, all leveled up
Two third level shydes, one close to leveling up
3rd level marksman

I simply do not have enough troops to avoid having the main characters mix it up with the humans. But after a while, the humans whittle down my troops but focusing on one a round. I also cannot use time consuming tactics because of the need to kill the white messenger guys. All in all this is frustrating.