Scenario Review: (UTBS) 8. Out of the Frying Pan...

Feedback for the mainline campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: (UTBS) 8. Out of the Frying Pan...

Post by Content Feedback »

1) What version and difficulty level did you play the scenario on? Please do not submit feedback from pre 1.4.
2) Do you think the difficulty is adequate to the level? If not describe the issue that made the scenario to easy/hard.
3) Was there any event that caused you to almost instantly lose, or made the scenario unplayable without reload?
4) Do you like the storyline and the dialogues? If not what part/character lags behind or what would you like changed?
5) Do you think the scenario was fun? Please write down some thoughts about gameplay, mood etc.
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. 102 challenging 112 normal
2. 6
3. Very clear, made even more so by the rising water
4. A little odd that you're supposed to be rushing away from this rising water with all of your elven people... but the map is just too cool for that to be a reason to change it.
5. Outrunning the water... don't bring any unit that moves less than 6!
6. 8. Never seen anything like the rising water in this scenario, really makes it a panicky fun.
7. It requires a little saving and loading if you don't know the way and brought a few units with 5 movement, but I think that's unavoidable for such a unique map.
8. 394 gold

I did notice one bug... when I first encounter the ants, I think some dialogue is missing. Nym seems to be talking to herself, she has 3 straight blocks of dialogue that don't seem to fit together very well.

Oh... on normal 112a the ghosts didn't bother me at all. There was one wraith... and that was it. Really weak, almost as if they didn't exist. Maybe I got lucky, I remember them being more of a problem in 102 on challenging mode.
Attachments
endgame.jpg
endgame.jpg (8.04 KiB) Viewed 20648 times
Last edited by SmokemJags on March 24th, 2006, 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Shoot! I deleted that unit becuase it was only half animated, and I forgot it was used in that event. You can actually avoid the event if you don't go through the secret tunnel and just plough through the main gate.

Or you can open up the 8_OutoftheFryingPan.cfg file, search for 'Water Serpent" and erase the 4 lines of code that make it appear. It's not a major monster, so it won't have a big effect on the scenario. If you do this you'll have to restart the scenario for it to take effect.

Edit: Bug fixed in the 1.1.2-SVN version
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Blessed Kali seems to be missing his unit png picture.
Some more pictures of errors/weird stuff. Explanation in the descriptions.
Attachments
Should a golem really have dialogue like this?  Seems like it should be on an elf.
Should a golem really have dialogue like this? Seems like it should be on an elf.
ggkromph.jpg (5.09 KiB) Viewed 20623 times
He always does 1 damage with his bow no matter who is attacking... weird.
He always does 1 damage with his bow no matter who is attacking... weird.
damagebug.jpg (18.68 KiB) Viewed 20642 times
Yea... either he converted and didn't tell anyone or there needs to be a filter so he doesn't get to say this.
Yea... either he converted and didn't tell anyone or there needs to be a filter so he doesn't get to say this.
rogrimirgg.jpg (16.95 KiB) Viewed 20635 times
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks,
For much of my dialogue I initially assumed that if I picked a random unit the player controlled, it would be an elf. You're demonstrating the exceptions to this generalization. I'll have to write alternative dialogue for these units. The reason why Durstrag only does 1 damage is that I wrote his damage type in wrong when I was translating the WML code. If you open his file and change the attack type to pierce that will fix the problem. Also fixed graphics bug with Blessed Kali.
Last edited by quartex on March 24th, 2006, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

For much of my dialogue I initially assumed that if I picked a random unit the player controlled, it would be an elf. You're demonstrating the exceptions to this generalization.
I'd say 9 times out of 10, it would be an elf.
But this case is different.
The fact is that this dwarf moves signficantly faster than elves over cavern terrain...
I actually think I had the same thing happen when I was allied with the trolls. My single troll unit beat everyone else outside because he (like the dwarf) are so much better suited at travelling over the terrain before and around this dialogue event (caverns and then mountains).
cordobatim

Post by cordobatim »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy on 1.0.2 (1.0.4 of UtBS)
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5. Definitely easier than the last one.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Super
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Rising water. I misjudged that the first time I played and lost Zhul
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8. It's a good one.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I did catch one glitch. After we got out, I sent Zhul back into an unexplored passage, just to see. She got trapped by the water, but didn't drown. I couldn't move her, but she didn't die.
(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
Sly

Re: Scenario Review: (UTBS) 8. Out of the Frying Pan...

Post by Sly »

quartex wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.1.2a, Normal
quartex wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
- 5 for the underground run
- 8 for the outdoor fight (I hate wraith, and more because my mage had gone :cry: ... and dragoons are hard to kill)
quartex wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear for the first part, a bit less clear for the second : I thought that the first dragoons recruited by the human were the messengers, not the second party :?
quartex wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear and interesting
quartex wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not to loose low level (1 & 2) units (I thought it would be a easier fight)
quartex wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8 for the first part, 6 for the second
quartex wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
quartex wrote:(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
Nyxl

Post by Nyxl »

I replaced the "Water Serpents" by regular Sea Serpents without thinking much about it (by the way, if you are careful and thorough, you can replace all occurrences of a faulty units in the very save game and it works fine).
quartex wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal, on 1.1.2a...
quartex wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
8; not exactly difficult when you can deal with each skirmish carefully. I had 4 Desert Stars in the team, and the other units were already maxed out. What became difficult was the last part, dealing with three targets at the same time in a very small area.
quartex wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
As clear as ever, surviving...
quartex wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The storyline grows more interesting at that point, and I think I can already outline the next main climaces.
quartex wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Dealing with the ghosts and the sergeant while preventing the messengers from escaping. Once more, I had to sacrifice a few high-level units in the brawl. Bleah.
quartex wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8; it was great fun. The different surprises helped balance the load/save lag.
quartex wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I think there was too many different obstacles during the subterranean part. A little of everything, without any real connection. There are too many elements too loosely related to add to the storyline. At a moment, I was all "oh dear, what is a demonic temple doing along with ants, dwarves, undeads and underground aquatic creatures ?" It's a bit too much to swallow, and I would have stuck with one, two factions at most in the underground part. Undead and animals would have done fine, for instance. Or Dwarves/Trolls for one faction for the need of the story.
quartex wrote:(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
More than 500, and I dared not recruit more than a handful of units (high-level units upkeep is a pain in difficult campaigns)...
pjr

Post by pjr »

Easy, 1.1.2+svn
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The rising water.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I'd split it in two after the dialogue at the cave entrance, since the two halves don't have much connection with each other. Too much luck is required to get past the various enemies before being trapped by the water, so perhaps it could rise slightly less quickly.
(8) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
kronenbourg

recruiting units

Post by kronenbourg »

1. Normal, 112
2. Currently stuck - so 10
3. Clear
4. OK, but there is a lot of dialog. Is there any way to switch dialog off?
5. Defeating humans outside tunnels.
6. 8
7. I can't recruit new units (but i can recall units) when i get to the tunnel exit. Bug or feature?
8. 100
quartex
Inactive Developer

Re: recruiting units

Post by quartex »

kronenbourg wrote: 7. I can't recruit new units (but i can recall units) when i get to the tunnel exit. Bug or feature?
That's definitely a bug. If you put Kaleh on the keep at the cave exit what happens when you try to recruit units?
kronenbourg

Re: recruiting units

Post by kronenbourg »

>That's definitely a bug. If you put Kaleh on the keep at the cave exit what happens when you try to recruit units?

I right click on Kaleh, and I can either recall units (works normally), or i can choose 'recruit', but then nothing happens. The window that appears when i right click goes away, and i can continue my turn.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Just so I know, what version of wesnoth are you running?
kronenbourg

Re: Recruiting units

Post by kronenbourg »

I changed the config file (Water Serpent to Sea Serpent) and Troll2 to Troll Shaman (or maybe that was another scenario). Could I have caused the problem by faulty editing of this file?