Advance warnings about older versions of Wesnoth being retired?

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lea

Advance warnings about older versions of Wesnoth being retired?

Post by lea »

Recently add-ons server for Wesnoth 1.10 was closed for uploads

I failed to find any advance warning for this event with search function built into Wesnoth's forums and scrolling through "Release Announcements, Compiling & Installation" forum topic

Where should I look for such warnings?
did I miss something obvious?..
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Advance warnings about older versions of Wesnoth being retired?

Post by Pentarctagon »

Historically Wesnoth's MP server and add-ons server instances supported the current stable release and the previous stable release (which would be 1.14 and 1.12 currently). The 1.10 instances were kept online past that however due to the older iOS app being based on 1.10. The older iOS app was formally deprecated at the beginning of June however, so as part of that the 1.10 MP and add-ons server instances were shut down at the start of July.

On the MP server instance this was noted in the MotD prior to it being shut off, though admittedly there was no announcement for the add-ons server.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
lea

Post by lea »

thanks for extended answer
Pentarctagon wrote: July 25th, 2020, 7:39 am ...admittedly there was no announcement for the add-ons server.
should absence of announcement be expected for retirement of 1.12 and later add-ons servers?
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

For 1.12 I'd expect their retirement would be mentioned in the 1.16.0 or 1.16.1 release announcement, since there won't be a reason to keep them alive beyond that like there was for the 1.10 instances.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code