Installing the campaigns

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mudpuppy630511

Installing the campaigns

Post by mudpuppy630511 »

Hey there. I'm not sure if this was addressed in an earlier post or not, but I have the 1.12.6 version that was packaged with Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver. However, there are NO campaigns. All it is, is the base game with multiplayer only. Where do I go to find them, and how in the world do I install the campaigns?

Thanks!

Mudpuppy.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Installing the campaigns

Post by Pentarctagon »

For Ubuntu, each mainline campaign has its own package that you will need to install if they aren't pulled in automatically. Alternatively, you can download Wesnoth from Flatpak or Steam (both of which also have the much more recent version 1.14.11).
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
mudpuppy630511

Post by mudpuppy630511 »

Yeah. . . I'm not sure how to do that. Is there a step by step to do that in the terminal? I'm a returning Linux user and have an Ubuntu system for my kids. The last time I worked with Ubuntu was 9.04 (LTS), so I'm a lot rusty on the terminal commands.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Probably the best way would be to do it via the GUI rather than the terminal. When I install through the terminal from Linux Mint 19.3 at least, it does say it'll install the campaign packages automatically without me needing to anything else, so I'm not sure why it didn't do that for you.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
mudpuppy630511

Post by mudpuppy630511 »

Yeah me neither. The GUI in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS showed the game, but had the disclaimer that I had to install the campaigns separately. Fortunately, the main page had the terminal command to use to install the game for my distribution release and I watched it as the music and the campaigns were installed.
I just checked and the campaigns are listed along with the addons I downloaded. Thanks for your suggestions and help.
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

Usually the wesnoth meta-package should've drawn in all campaign packages automatically. Probably you've just installed the core package. The default Ubuntu Software Center, or how it's called, is sometimes a little bit weird. Just use synaptic, search for wesnoth and install everything that shows up (except dbg, tools and server, if you don't need them). No need to use the terminal.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

You could install the synaptic package manager. That lets you see all the packages that don't have an appdata.xml - the Ubuntu Software Center likes to hide those from you.
Luc7y

Post by Luc7y »

The
/homne/user folder is also used as
~/

Linux Ubuntu
cache:
~/.cache/wesnoth

to install add-ons unpack here
add-ons:
~/.local/share/wesnoth/1.12/data/add-ons/