[Historical] Scenario Review: EI 17 - Weldyn Under Attack

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Historical] Scenario Review: EI 17 - Weldyn Under Attack

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario Review: EI 17 - Weldyn Under Attack

Post by Maiklas3000 »

challenging; 1.8.3; 404 starting gold

9.8. I did it without any save-reloads here or previously in the campaign, but it took a lot of attempts.

Survive, clear. But not clear that it's going to be night the whole time. It freaked me out the first time. I suggest adding something about powerful undead magic affecting time or the sun or something.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I don't like that the undead messenger starts offering his opinions. He is a messenger. He should ignore questions and comments and just continue with the message.

The first problem is to take out one of the leaders. It's almost impossible to do it before he's out of gold, though. The next problem is to survive. It's extremely difficult not to lose a critical unit given the swarms of Banebows and Nightgaunts.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it easier. It's too brutal to be facing level 3 undead in a permanent night when most players have lost most of their level 3 units in Evacuation.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Only losing repeatedly, restarting from turn 1.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A

Edit: Replay will show corrupt at the end, but the scenario is already over at that point. (Objective is to survive to end of turns.) The replay just gets confused about the choice the player makes after the scenario.
Attachments
EI-Weldyn_under_Attack_replay.gz
(55.75 KiB) Downloaded 960 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.3
10 - Hands down the most difficult scenario in the campaign. Needed the most though. I finally decided to kill the northern leader and hole up there. Nightgaunts and all sorts of undead gathered there. I finally broke through their lines on the last turn. Yay.
Clear.
Why is Konrad II a General? Gweddry can control the king?
Nightgaunts scare the he'll out of even my Shock Troopers?
8 - started as a 10, then went downhill to about 6 then went up as I finally broke through their lines.
Make the allies a little more useful.
Death of a unit I had prepared for the next scenario.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Didn't check.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Medium, 690 starting gold

5, really didn't find it that challenging. But then I had a buttload of gold and I really didn't lose that many units in Evacuation, so I've got a pretty kick-ass force at this point.

Survive.

Well enough. It would have been interesting to have someone comment on the extra-long night.

Banebows, lost two Grand Knights to them.

Otherwise once I capture the north fort on about turn 6, I really had no big challenges holding it. By about turn 15 victory was in hand and last couple turns I was just gathering XP.

Watching AI march mages into the river like lemmings.

Seems good as is.

I got too aggressive first time I played it, charged the north leader and learned just what a Banebow could do to Oweac...

Clear.
Attachments
(52.77 KiB) Downloaded 946 times
KingsIndian

Post by KingsIndian »

Normal 1.8.4
I had 622 starting gold, and 8 veterans saved from Evacuation (including all of my Holy Amulets), so I had a pretty good force for this level, and enough cannon fodder to surround my valuable troops, and hence stop the Nightgaunts from backstabbing. With the help of two Paladins and two Silver Mages, I actually defeated all of the enemy liches. So...3 if you just try to survive, 6 if you try to defeat all of the enemy leaders. Much higher if you hadn't spent the entire campaign preparing for Evacuation.
Clear.
I thought Gweddry leading Konrad II was a bit odd.
Duff advice in the walkthrough - Young Ogres weren't of any use to me. Other than being a waste of gold, though, having them didn't harm me.
9 - more then makes up for Captured and Evacuation. It dipped a bit after I had defeated the northern enemy - until I had the idea of going after the other two as well :P !
The only changes I can think of are changing Konrad II to a Grand Marshal (so that you don't have the absurdity of Gweddry leading him), increasing the enemies' starting gold or income to compensate for the extra leadership, and a more substantial bonus for defeating all of the enemy leaders. Perhaps have Kaldor (the mage in The Council) join you as a loyal troop in the final scenario (whether it be The Duel or Weldyn Besieged), for example.
Death of Owaec.
N/A
santosis

Post by santosis »

Medium 1.8.5

Very clear - survive. I also found the strategy to storm the north leader very effective.

Clear - although it is unclear why the lich wouldn't just send the horde.

I lost my loyal orge charging the first leader (the only real casualty outside of a few recruited meatshields). I set up my troops on the north shore of the river--with Dacyn and another white mage it was easy to rotate the wounded. I got many kills and leveled a few Shock Troopers into Iron Maulers.

If there was a weakness, I finished with -337 gold.

7 - I liked this one, although I wish the undead would have tried to storm me. Once my troops were set up across the river, they just pretty much stared at me for the final 3 rounds.

None - If I wanted to try Weldyn Besieged, then I could have been more aggressive and tried to end it early. I think its a nice touch that players have options on how to approach these last few scenarios.

Twice for bad luck, but I certainly didn't have to reload.
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.4.

7, I had 623 gold, that means enough to recall my elite units and to recruit enough "cannon fodder".

Clear

Good, although it's not entirely logic to me, why the undead in this scenarios retreat during daytime, but in other scenarios just fight on as usual.

Nothing in special, "just" the masses of (high-level) enemy units.

None

One reload, when I wasn't careful about Owaec and moved him to a bad position.
BroodKiller

Post by BroodKiller »

Normal, 1.8.5.
7. I had 8 lvl3 troops plus the meat, and it was still challenging.
Crystal.
The messenger at end was quite a nice story surprise.
Killing off the first leader (north) was quite challenging, as it required loosing some meat, but the allied troops took most of the pounding and I recruited more once the leader was disposed of. After this, I decided to hold the line just below the northern bridge, and it was not that difficult, with the 2 leaders, 2 MoLs, 3 Iron Maulers and the meatshields (mages and Pikemen). Then, it was just a cleanup operation.
It's fine as it is, methinks, if you realize that standing in the middle is a suicide.
Nope.

EDIT: Forgot to include a replay.
Attachments
(54.33 KiB) Downloaded 889 times
Clean...Simple...Devious...I like it
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, 638gp, no reloads

"7", difficult but not terribly tough. I had no problems with gold, and my best units also survived after "Evacuation".

clear

fine, but as usual could be better

nothing in particular

"7" if you have enough gold, otherwise it might be frustrating. Can't say it's very fun b/c the fight quickly becomes a stationary defense. Also, it was more sad than fun to watch allies "defending"...

- after 3 or 4 turns Konrad could confirm that the amount of undead is truly frightening
- improve allies. They should at least behave more cautious and defensively.
- I think all the villages but those few around enemies' keeps should be flagged from the beginning. It's the capitol, why the hell we are not controlling our peasants?! And btw this will partially help the behaviour of the allies.
Attachments
(63.09 KiB) Downloaded 839 times
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.6, hard
861 starting gold

9. I decided to go for the SW lich first, because
- his keep is the closest to the player’s one
- no allied troops to interfere in my lines
- killing the nightgaunts asap was important to me (spectres don’t put up such a thread, as they do not deal out the same damage), because of their invisibility and backstabbing.

Also the area at the SW bridge suites better for setting up a defensive line and let the undead fight from the water.
In the north at the bridge to the northern lich the two most northern fortress hexes are surrounded by 3 water hexes which means too many possible attacks by undead from the water. So you can’t defend these two hexes, which would be necessary to keep the undead in the water – I think it’s also said somewhere in the strategy guide that due to the hexagons you can’t put up homogenous west-east defensive lines (only SW-NE, NW-SE or N-S is possible – a homogenous W-E line requires octagons).

Afterwards I didn’t stay for the other lich’s troops to hammer on me, but marched to the northern lich (to kill him and also to keep a distance between the southeastern lich troops and mine).

Once the north was cleared out, the army turned around and marched back to the south (time was up, before having a chance to go for SE-lich).

Clear – except the long night.

Dacyn told before, that trapping Mal-Ravanal somehow, was the only chance to avoid annihilation. So the duel should be our idea, not Mal-Ravanal’s. To make him accept, we should blame him, to hide behind his troops and not joining the fight personally (actually it's him blaming us).

Letting Gweddry’s leadership and the light mages’ illumination have the most possible influence on the fighting of the troops. So there was a lot of planning of the moves.

Also the banebows and lichs will punish every carelessness if you didn’t check their possible movements on the undead’s turn.

Again it’s a hard work scenario (but again it is supposed to be). I had sufficient gold and brought good veterans into battle, so I guess my starting position was very good and allowed me to have fun on this one.

Compared to the previous scenario the allys’ recruiting improved. They made use of red mages and heavy infantry. But what about white mages?
Attachments
IdF-Weldyn_wird_angegriffen_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(54.18 KiB) Downloaded 832 times
line

Post by line »

1.9.14, hard
834 starting gold

6. Trusting my former strategy I went again for the southwestern lich. As I extensively used the two last missions as a training camp for my recruits, I brought a solid numer of veterans into battle.

Clear – except the long night.

Clear.

Not to lose a veteran, especially in the beginning, when holding the river bank against the southwestern lich.

7. The scenario looks quite frightening in the beginning. But if you take out the first enemy fast enough, you can handle it. The allies serve well to at least slow down the undead from the north and the southeast.
You will start with enough gold because of Approaching Weldyn. I also had some veterans with me, therefore it wasn't too hard and quite fun. I recruited only one cavalry for claiming villages far away of my main force (because I hate to sacrifice units), but should have make more use of cavalry. It's really fun, to assassinate sole enemies with the silver mage as said in the walkthrough, by hit-and-teleport raids. Also that gave me the opportunity to kill all leaders, because they kept no bodyguards close to the lichs, but sent their troops all over the map. So you just need to claim a village close to the lich - and the round after the silver mages show up.

There could be a hint, that Konrad is now equipped with the most powerful ranged attack of all units.
Attachments
IdF-Weldyn_under_Attack_replay.gz
(58.77 KiB) Downloaded 791 times
Last edited by line on September 4th, 2012, 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2
100%
OK
All the leveled ghost forms, they would have wreaked havoc on my troops, had it not been for a Great mage that i had up my sleeve, who was able to assassinate them.
None
No
Fate is against me.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

1) Normal
2) 3 to beat. 2 to survive. Impossible scenario my ass, I only saved a Paladin, Mage of Light and White Mage from that scenario, and had a little less gold than the guide recomenned. I simply used my leveled units, then spammed armoured troopers and was easily able to push the enemy back, my arcane units handling anything my armour horde couldn't, first attempt I lose because of Hubirs (while still owning the enemy), 2nd attempt I beat the crap out of them and destroyed all 3 liches on turn 12, having destroyed their army on turn 10 and I am far from a Wesnoth genius.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Well i was puzzled defeating all the liches wasn't mentioned in the mission objective, but I guess it was kind of a given.
(4) Not bad for Wesnoth I guess
(5) Not getting certain units surronded
(6) 7 too easy for such a climatic scenario, but it was fun smashing the undead. Easily beating a scenario the guide proclaims the most difficult in the campaign (NOT BLOODY LIKELY) without reading the strategy is pretty funny.
(7) Make it harder>
(8) Exposing Gweddry to more undead than I had realised/being carless and cocky.
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy 1.8.5 and 1.10.5

9.5 to 9.9.

Oh perfectly clear.

Well we got a credible story in the previous scene but I find it incredibly ironic that a Mage criticizes troops for not fighting to the death and then my allies recruit only token lvl1 Mages.

Dealing with a mix of lvl2 and kvl3 Undead units at night with an inferior mix of mainly lvl1 and lvl2 Loyalist units. Oh and "supported" with three allies of not many more lvl Loyalist units. You know when you can only deal damage such as 3-2 or 6-3 against a unit which can deal 16-4 back such stuff like terrain and defence becomes meaningless, particularly when your enemy has a 25% advantage and you have a 25% disadvantage.

Zero. I don't particularly enjoy the emotions which have motivated me to continue this campaign and there's nothing 'fun' about desperately recruiting and recalling anything and everything just to try and outnumber your enemy and see your units get slaughtered with every counter-attack. Where is the game play? The opportunities for tactics and strategies? Perhaps there are, but I still feel cheated committing to an Easy level on a campaign which suddenly turned into Challenging or Nightmare without warning.

I also don't enjoy having to rely on luck rather than my own skills to complete a scenario.

This entire campaign needs an overhaul. Every other Intermediate campaign concludes with a decent battle where you have numerous opportunities to put what you've learned into your game play.

Running out of units, running out of units and then there was not having enough units. Sending my best units SW and recruiting/recalling like mad for the north and SE only to have both defences breached and Gweddry killed with a Draug (a few of the Revenants killed so many lvl1 units that they managed to level up).
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level and version? Challenging (hardest); 1.11.12; 625 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? 7
(3) Clear? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Good. I see you make some changes based on my previous feedback back in 1.8.5.
(5) Challenges? I attacked the North Lich, but failed and lost. I then tried attacking the Southwest Lich, for all the reasons user "line" gives above (though I hadn't read his post.) I succeeded, with no save-reloads here or earlier in the campaign. The key was basically spamming Young Ogres, Mages, and Heavy Infantrymen. I focused first on taking out the Nightguants, then on taking over the Southwest "island". Then I basically just waited, with horrifying losses, until the end. I really could have used more than one Mage of Light to take out those annoying Spectres.
(6) Fun? 8
(7) Changes? Change the turn sequence. The turn sequence is you, your allies, and then the undead. So, you make a good line with your ally (up North), then your ally breaks your line by running forwards, then the undead slaughter your ally's suicidal troops and dive into your broken line. Make the allies move first, so you can compensate for their interference. I think that's how the other scenarios in this campaign work, isn't it?
(8) Restarts? Just the loss when I headed North.
(9) WML? Just two comments, but it is a suprisingly short WML file.
(10) Replay? Attached. As before, it comes up corrupt on the last turn, but this is only because it is confused about the choice being made after the scenario is over. Maybe that should be fixed?
Attachments
(68.41 KiB) Downloaded 720 times