[Historical] Scenario Review: EI 15 - Approaching Weldyn

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Historical] Scenario Review: EI 15 - Approaching Weldyn

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario Review: EI 15 - Approaching Weldyn

Post by Maiklas3000 »

challenging; 1.8.3

The least clear of any scenario of any campaign. Label Weldyn.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
ok

Figuring out the objective. Wiki says to kill all leaders. This would not be a win, I think.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No idea.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.3
1 - the undead are no match for my holy Grand Knight and Cavalier. Though I just entered the city figuring it be giving me more gold that way.
Clear.
Nothing special.
None.
2 - the human needs to be in serious danger, seriously!
More gold for the enemy leaders. Make it so we have to literally break through into the city.
No.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Didn't check.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, medium

Reasonably so, you have to assume what Weldyn is.

It's nice Dacyn gives you the hint not to fight.

None

5, It's your basic run, but it is short and sweet.

I think it's a little too easy, I'd start Gweddry a little further away so he actually has to fight through the undead (and boost the carryover to compensate).

No

Well, it's not commented, but it's so simple doesn't really need to be.
santosis

Post by santosis »

Medium 1.8.5

Very clear - get leader to castle

Clear, humanity's last stand

Absolutely none.

3 - This looks like another opportunity to level a few troops. I just beat feet as quickly as possible to end the scenario with max gold (carrying 479 to next scenario).

Not sure--chances are, given the difficulty of surrounding scenarios, that a cake-walk is a welcome event. If anything, I like Thrash's advice to lengthen the run and up the carryover gold. Or, perhaps, ask a player to kill two of the enemy leaders.

No
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.4.

2, recalling and recruiting one castle of units was enough.

Clear

Okay.

None.

5, too easy.

A higher difficulty would be good to make it more interesting. But I understand, that the main purpose is to collect gold for the next scenario, so I don't have an idea for a real alternative to make this scenario more challenging and still keeping this purpose.

No
BroodKiller

Post by BroodKiller »

Normal 1.8.5
3 - I only used a few leveled units here, since I figured it is a nice map to level up another MoL and a Halberdier.
Clear.
Nothing special.
None.
A bit more gold for the enemy leaders OR a more distant starting point, but otherwise it looks ok.
No.
Didn't check.
Clean...Simple...Devious...I like it
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, no reloads

"3", recalled one Knight to assist, crushed the closest necromancer and finished in turn 5, taking a very solid gold bonus.

clear, but maybe better explicitly say "reach any hex of the castle"

looks fine.

But in the next Chapter ("The Council") I was surprized Dacyn always knew who we are up against, and only now revealed the truth. What's the reason behind this secrecy? Either give a reason, or reveal this information earlier in the campaign.

none

ok, but a bit too straightforward and easy

not sure... probably rework the closest necromancer, he should pose a little stronger force. It should be like a smallish brain-bender in the end, to select the right troops and win a little bit tricky assault.
Attachments
EI-Approaching_Weldyn_replay.gz
(29.96 KiB) Downloaded 864 times
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.6, hard
316 starting gold

4, as said before, this is part 2 of the training camp before making the stand in Weldyn. You got open plains, lots of villages – so show the undead who’s house it is!

Well I think that it is possible to find out, what is meant by Weldyn – we wanna speak with the king, so you have to get next to him.
What is missing is that after killing every undead boss you don’t still have to reach Weldyn to win – killing the third necromancer immediately ends the scenario.

Clear and logical. Get to your king.

The ally was blocking some adjacent hexes of the first necromancer, making it harder to kill him.

Also it’s quite hard to predict how the fighting will develop and therefore to plan your strategy (kill as many as possible or just reach Weldyn and fight no more than necessary) and the recruiting. As I wanted to start the next scenario with better troops, I choose to fight as much as possible. First you have to eliminate the northern necromancer and after that to judge the situation for further acting.
Before any recruiting in round 1 and by simply comparing the starting gold of the players (undead: 350, 350, 425 humans: 100, 316), I estimated to just kill the northern necro and than hurry into Weldyn before the undead approach it. Than after the first round of recruiting I thought I can easily kill everyone – the northern necro recruited three ghosts, the middle one only bats and only the southern necro lvl2s (but due to his keep he is limited to only 3 units per round). But then Konrad didn’t recruit a single mage (neither a white mage nor even a red mage) and so the enthusiasm passed and the uncomfortable feeling returned.

It’s quite nice, but the recruiting is strange. The middle necro uses lots of bats (which the king’s troops can deal with) but Konrad denies to get some mages, what would be necessary to prevail against the undead.

To make it more challenging maybe two of the three necro must get killed.

Or, assumed that the undead just arrived at the scene (what would explain the massive use of bats), you have to fulfil special goals to enable the people to get safely to Weldyn (like for e.g.: keeping at least 3 of the six bridges free off undead units or hinder the undead to flag more than half of the map’s villages. Maybe this has to be done additional to some other scenario objective and just until a certain round – not until the end).
Attachments
IdF-Ankunft_in_Weldyn_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(40.55 KiB) Downloaded 884 times
line

Post by line »

1.9.14, hard
294 starting gold

2. As there are no ambushes and your ally is quite strong.

Killing all enemy leaders still ends the scenario although this way to win is not mentioned in the scenario objectives.

Clear. And again we act against Dacyn's advice as he suggested not to take on too much fight, but simply to proceed to Weldyn.

Try to flag all the villages.
I can't tell if Konrad got stronger, but he had 22 income right from the start, what is close to one lvl 2 each round. In fact, Konrad's troops lasted until the end. So the enemies didn't pose a threat.

It's too easy to reach the castle (only one opponent is blocking the way) and also Konrad was never in danger because of the southern necro's lvl 2 units.

Strengthen the undead.
Attachments
IdF-Approaching_Weldyn_replay.gz
(45.33 KiB) Downloaded 806 times
Last edited by line on March 5th, 2013, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2
100%
OK
The only challenge i had was getting the enemies to engage me. I didn't want to run in halfway and let them get the first hit with their wraiths, so i creeped up to the edge of their movement and waited. Eventually they ignored me and went after Konrad instead so i charged in and slaughtered them. I was duking it out with the top 2 undead, leaving the bottom one for konrad, but for some reason he only committed a third of his force to them even though it put him in danger, he should have pulled the rest back and reinforced, letting me handle the top 2 undead. I had to send a few advance troops down to his base to make sure his behind was safe. I ended up making it to the castle, but then i realized i could have killed the enemies and gotten some experience, so i loaded and killed them instead.
The mountains near my base slowed me down a bit...other than that, it's good.
No, but i did re-load because i wanted to get more exp instead of finishing early.
Fate is against me.
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy 1.8.5 and 1.10.5

2. I chose to run without fighting to get the gold.

Very clear.

It's clear at this point.

Getting Owaec past the first Necromancer's keep. The Necromancer recruited Ghosts and Skeletons and went to sit on a village in our path so I got Gweddry to whack him/her with a sword and then have Owaec do the same (which did nothing). Dacyn took out a Ghost and I sent Grug towards the Skeletons and the Engineer towards the Ghosts. The Ghosts decided to all go for Owaec which wasn't that good for his health.

4 - short and sweet.

I'd think more about changing some of the previous scenarios rather than this one. I think having the choice whether to fight or not is good. I did think about fighting but didn't see enough opportunities to level any significant units so I opted for the gold.

Not this time.
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

14 – Approaching Weldyn

1.10.3 hard (Challenging - Royal Guard)
284 gold

Clear.

Nothing. Finished on turn 5 to get the bonus gold. And I think that's all that matters for the next one.

Not much going on. At least it's short. 4/10

Less units/ gold for Konrad.

No.
Attachments
(27.88 KiB) Downloaded 834 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.12.4, 295 starting gold
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 1, just run straight to the castle without recruiting.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? None
(6) Fun? (1-10) 4 - not much to do here.
(7) Changes? Make it so you actually encounter some resistance on the way to the castle (and increase gold for next scenario to compensate)
(8) Restarts? None.

To maximize gold carryover I don't recruit and run straight to the castle with Gweddry.
Attachments
(42.8 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear, run-of-the-mill scenario

- Despite being short one, it's actually interesting

- Can't think of any. I got rid of the first necromancer easily and his amry thanks to my mages and holy amulet-equipped units

- Either that you can defeat all the enemy leaders or when you attack one, that one receives some level-2 reinforcements, making it challenging

- None