[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 13 - Evacuation

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 13 - Evacuation

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Rushlock

Post by Rushlock »

1.0.2 Easy

To complete, 7-8.
To complete w/o losing units, impossible thus far.

Very.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Good.

Keeping my lvl'd units alive!

1, Forced spending on recalls that are going to die, = not fun ;)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Make it less definate that you'll lose lvl'd units. Perhaps lower lvl of enemy units.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, you are supposed to lose _some_ leveled units. But I might make it a bit easier soon - since Captured is currently harder than it used to be.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: Scenario Review - EI: Evacuation

Post by Zhukov »

turin wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium, version 1.1.1
turin wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
turin wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Crystal clear.
turin wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Well...it does the job, like most dialogue in the campaign.
turin wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Where to begin?
a) Not having my army's rear bitten off by NorthEast Orc.
b) Not being overwhelmed or flanked by South Orc.
c) Trying to batter through a wall of regenerating level 3 trolls who are being reinforced by about 2-3 new trolls every turn. (Often an evening/night)
d) Attempting all of the above simultaneously and within 12 turns.
That just about covers it.
turin wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
-4 (not to be confused with "4")
turin wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Ahh, the part I have been looking forward to. I suggest one or two (not all or several) of the following:
#1- Drastically reduce enemy's gold. (Especially the South Orc, and to a lesser degree the Troll.)
#2- Move Troll encampment a long way northward or remove it entirely.
#3- Provide better defensive terrain on the path to the bridge.
#4- Give a lot more turns, maybe 20. This is something I have noticed throughout the campaign, the turn limits are often so low you have to rely on massive amounts of luck. (Worst example of this is Undead Crossing level, but that is another matter.)
#5- Make bridge closer.
#6- Prettymuch anything that make this scenario less of a completely frustrating pain in the arse.

Of those I am more inclined towards #1 and #4. (Also #2, but a little less)
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

(1) Medium, 1.1.7
(2) Very easy (1) if you don't care about losses
(3) Very clear, though I was not sure if I got to keep units on the other side (or on the bridge!) if I blow up the bridge.
(4) Adequate, bonus for not having megaphones this time :)
(5) The trolls in front of me didn't really offer much resistance against my Iron Maulers and mages, so the operation went as planned, however costing an enormous amount of lives on the rear guard, including more than half of my leveled units.
(6) The best so far (9) if you don't care about losses - I thought this was the final scenario :wink:
(7) Not to make it more easier :)
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

(1) Medium, 1.1.7.
(2) Too easy (1)
(3) Very clear (at least, on the second time)
(4) Same as before
(5) Now that I actually the sense to recruit a huge amount of expendable spearmen as my rear guard, losses were minimal (my front guard got through almost unopposed, only one quick Shock Trooper was killed.)
(6) Same as before
(7) Please, make any units that have not crossed the river at the point of the explosion, plus any units from the recall list not recalled, die a horrible death! (To avoid abuse like this :twisted: ) Also, I think that the Orcs did not recruit as many troops this time as they did on the first one.
Attachments
Tyhjennys_-_uusinta.gz
My replay - feature abuse to the max?
(26.33 KiB) Downloaded 1212 times
gauss

Post by gauss »

easy, 1.1.8

1 - too easy

clear

both clear and interesting

watching all those poor suicide cavalrymen perish.

I recruited an entire castle of cavalrymen, and used the cavalrymen to screen the Gweddry, Owaec, Dacyn and Engineer as they moved to the bridge. A suicide rush for the bridge nicely describes my tactics. I would weaken the three opponents, and make the player's castle smaller; remove the need and ability to make a 4 turn mostly dull rush for the bridge.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

gauss wrote:I recruited an entire castle of cavalrymen, and used the cavalrymen to screen the Gweddry, Owaec, Dacyn and Engineer as they moved to the bridge. A suicide rush for the bridge nicely describes my tactics. I would weaken the three opponents, and make the player's castle smaller; remove the need and ability to make a 4 turn mostly dull rush for the bridge.
I'd be interested in what you thought of the scenario if you actually tried to save anyone except the four heroes...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
gauss

Post by gauss »

turin wrote:
gauss wrote:I recruited an entire castle of cavalrymen, and used the cavalrymen to screen the Gweddry, Owaec, Dacyn and Engineer as they moved to the bridge. A suicide rush for the bridge nicely describes my tactics. I would weaken the three opponents, and make the player's castle smaller; remove the need and ability to make a 4 turn mostly dull rush for the bridge.
I'd be interested in what you thought of the scenario if you actually tried to save anyone except the four heroes...
Save anyone else?

(open another window, and view other posts)

Ah, the other units are supposed to be lost... except I'm at the start of the next scenario and I can recall ALL my units.
MiniST

Post by MiniST »

1.) easy 1.0.2
2.) 4
3.) only part is that you can win this by killing the three leaders, but all it tells you is to run.
4.) wasn't much that i remembered
5.) the yellow orchish warlord has way too much gold until he stupidly go into the range of my knights. Also, lost 2 dragoons, 1 cavalier and 1 paladin(6 for 6 is so not fair... and i didn't save...) about 10 or so horseman.
6.) this begins the fun of my grand knight with holy totally owning undead in the next two scenerios. 85-2 against undead in day time :shock:
I killed all the trolls except the king. So i left my arch mage there with another unit, the troll stood there for 6 turns, not moving.
7.) Not much. just kinda restrict the gold amount for the yellow orcish warlord.
grochti

Post by grochti »

medium 1.1.9

3 if ai weaknesses are abused.

Crystal clear
Good
This level is the hardes in EI. The following levels were pretty easy.
After being smashed two time I abused the ai. Killed the village snatching nothern orc at turn 2, the eastern at turn 5.
I think it is impossible to beat this level with "normal strategy"

Less gold for the orcs & villages controlled by orcs in the beginning (making it impossible to kill a stupid leader in the very beginning)
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 3
3) Clear
4) Good, except the Scotty-ness of the engineer's dialog varies between sentences :-)
5) I followed the strategy of recruiting a castle of sacrificial cavalrymen and spearmen, and just smothered the route to the bridge with expendable units.
6) 4
7) -
8 ) start gold ~340
maclag

Post by maclag »

Medium, 1.6

10, maybe more. I'll tell if I can finish it one day without having totally lost all my money and most of my vet.

Very clear, though when i've seen the conditions and ennemy gold, I thought it was a joke...

Medium. Nothing special, so not astonishing, but nothing bad.

- Any vet not recalled dies. Need a lot of units as canon fodder on the north side.
Time to recruit all those units, you're totally surrounded by level 2/3 ennemy on the west, east, and south.
Since you have almost no time to stop your leaders, you need to do sacrifice all the vets you've recruited IN ORDER TO SAVE THEM (what the f***).
- When I've seen "or kill all the ennemy leaders", I thought it was doable. HA HA HA!

Wonder why there is no review of ANY scenario but the last one (by one people!!) starting from this precise "Evacuation": I'm guessing that almost all players have stopped after this one (or maybe have not even passed??).

It's much too difficult, and much too frustrating.
I consider this campaign as one of the very most difficult ones. So, first, description should mention "expert" instead of "intermediate".
Second, due to the very high difficulty of this campaign, and so how tough it is to get some units leveled, destroying all the players painfully built in 2 scenario is something sadistic!

So far, this campaign was cool. Very difficult, but very cool, putting a high pressure on the players, and with this permanent "desperate" ambiance which is a change from all other starting with dialogue starring over-confident leaders.
But this scenario, following the one where you already lose a lot of vet during the escape, just break down any will to go further...
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

1.6.1, Medium

10. Impossible.

Interesting, especially "units not recalled die". However, the "Kill all enemy leaders"... are you ****ing kidding me?!

Clear as day, and loved the accent on the Engineer.

Not getting Owaec and Dacyn killed horribly.

-3. No, not 3; -3. It is probably the cruellest scenario ever made, forcing me to get my carefully built up army slaughtered.

Get rid of Green & Purple. Entirely. Buff up Blue to make up for their absence - I agree you should lose some levelled units, but only because you have to put them in your rearguard, not because they're cut to ribbons while trying to run away!
Remove any suggestion that you stand even the most remote chance of winning by killing enemy leaders, because it's almost as possible as dividing by zero.

The real tragedy is, up until this scenario, EI is actually what I'd expect from Intermediate level; having this nightmare of a mission after two already pretty hard levels pushes the difficulty into the stratosphere.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
superbeast

Post by superbeast »

Ver 1.7.0 on Medium difficulty

Apparently the objective is unobtainable! After 6-8 hours of play, restarting about 6 times, and saving after every combat, I finally managed to get the engineer to the sign post and keep all of my primary characters alive. When the engineer reached the signpost and I was given the opportunity to blow up the bridge or wait, naturally I chose to blow up the bridge. When the bridge is destroyed, it automatically kills one of my primary characters! :cry: I spent all of that time and have achieved the scenario conditions but it kills my character and I lose!!! Even after 10-12 saves and retries. It killed one character once, and a different character the remainder. My characters were all the way at the top of the map, as far away from bridge as possible. The scenario was unenjoyable and is broken on top of that. I lost a lot of level 2 and 3 heroes on the way to blowing the bridge. A very discouraging scenario.

0; absolutely no fun.

Remove it from this campaign. If that's not an option, then less level 3 trolls to start, fix it so your characters aren't killed.