[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 13 - Evacuation

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

golemsci

Re: Scenario Review - EI: Evacuation

Post by golemsci »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium. 1.10
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
7 - allowing for many losses
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
I missed the line saying you lose unrecalled units first time, but that's my fault!
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not bad.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Getting the enemy to concentrate on my shielding units, rather than those I wanted to save.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8 - I think it's really important to force the player to cut down their army size. This way I had to pick who I thought was important and who to sacrifice.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

Medium, 1.10.5

8, it is possible to kill all the leaders, the biggest problem is the time limit

clear enough

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
it was okay

- keeping your units alive
- having enough luck to beat it in 12 turns
I started of with killing the southern orc leader at turn 3 and then finished of the northern at turn 8 but I had to save-load quite often because the units you have depend heavily on luck. I could have easily beaten the troll leader, if I had had only 2 more turns or if I had watched out for the turns. I didn't realize it was such a small amount of rounds you get and I don't see any sense in it. I ended up cheating some moving points to accomplish it because I was not in the mood to go back some turns.

6, it's quite challenging but a little sad to see all your veterans die

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
- increase the round limit to 15 or 18
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy 1.8.5 and 1.10.5

4 - due to the fact that I didn't have too many high level units left to lose after previous scenarios.

Very clear.

*eye roll*

Working out which units to use as meat shields - I settled for Cavalrymen and Spearmen. Then it was a case of which units to attack and which to leave alone.

8 - I got a bit more out of it as in the previous scenario White Mages had been absent from my recall list together with Red Mages and Knights so I felt I had a bit of a basis for recovery. Also at this stage of the campaign I'm letting stuff pass. However my highest unit was a Silver Mage and I noticed that there were no villages south of the river.

Don't fix it if it's not broken.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

I posted for an earlier version before, so I'll be brief here...

(1) Level? Challenging; 1.11.12; 204 starting gold. Also 1.8.5 early in the thread.
(2) Difficulty? 7 to blow the bridge and rescue several good units; "impossible" to kill all the enemy with 204 gold.
(3) Clear? Clear.
(4) Dialog? The Engineer's accent didn't read like a real accent to me.
(5) Challenges? Low gold. WTH, is it harder now to distract the enemy? The trolls ignored my bait Dragoon.
(6) Fun? 8
(7) Changes? The Engineer still bothers me, but otherwise it's a great scenario. However, I repeat my feedback for the previous two scenarios... Give Dacyn the 100 gold bonus for reaching the fortress in Lake Vrug. That might fix the gold problem here as well as the "0 gold" dialog problem in Captured. Even with that bonus, is it possible to have a lot of gold going into Evacuation now that Captured has been revised? I doubt it. So I doubt many players will be killing all the enemy on the harder difficulty levels any more. That's good. It makes for bragging rights if you do, and, since you always have the option of running like hell, nobody needs to get stuck on this scenario.
Attachments
EI-Evacuation_replay.gz
(36.63 KiB) Downloaded 833 times
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.3 hard (Challenging - Royal Guard)
200 gold

6 (for running and saving some high-quality units)

Clear.

With minimum gold and especially just 12 turns fighting didn't seem feasible to me. Just getting to the other side of the bridge and saving 3-4 additional units is not too hard, tried it couple of times to see what I could achieve (and settled with an embarrassingly sloppy/ lucky run, just watch the replay).

I liked it. Short and tense. 8/10

It's good the way it is. Maybe increase the minimum gold by 60. It's not going to make the scenario easier, any additional units are going to be killed either way. Give them a last honorable fight.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Restarted a couple of times, but not because I failed the scenario.
Attachments
EI-Evacuation_replay.gz
(34.21 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
Nel

Post by Nel »

Medium, 1.12. I've replayed Lake Vrug many times to improve it in order to get enough money (around 400) to begin with this one

1. With enough money (and enough powerful units), it is not difficult at all, as stated in the wiki. I could defeat the three leaders in time, quite easily. In 8 turns. It begins at dawn, so the first day all enemy units are weak. When night comes, things get harder but they have lost so many units, it's really feasible. Though it costed all my money... but I've saved all precious units for the next scenarios. Trolls are easily killed by two mages, plus sometimes some help from an ogre to finish it.

Clear

Fine

Not losing a crucial unit (like the weak Owaec). Had to reload once because I did put a key unit at a wrong position (way too risky), so had to replay to change my strategy a little.

Nope
Attachments
Io-Évacuation_revoir_la_partie.gz
(46.55 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord / Challenging. 208 gold (I can't finish Lake Vrug with positive gold, even with the gold offered at the end). Managed to kill all enemy leaders with the help of luring out two leaders on turn 1 and killing them on turn 2. This did not work in the first attempt (and involved some crucial, positive luck especially in damage taken during the night), so nothing to really brag about, but the general idea should be workable. Time is surprisingly no issue, the map is very small, even found time to take defensive formation during the night.

Recalled arcane damage dealing Arch Mage. about to level Red Mage, two high-xp White Mages, a high-xp Knight, a high-xp, arcane damage Dragoon, two Royal Guards, a high-xp Swordsman and an arcane damage dealing lancer.
Attachments
EI-Evacuation_replay.gz
Killing opponents on hard w/ some luck. Really love the defensive AI grouping towards the end, AI so much better than it used to be.
(53.53 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

now that was a good way to say "you have too many veterans, we need to get rid of them", unlike "Costly Revenge" scenario in another campaign.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.12.4, 316 starting gold
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 10 if you're like me and can't stand losing veterans
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Direwolves from the north picking off units, goblin pillagers slowing everything
(6) Fun? (1-10) It's clearly not meant to be fun, but I don't think that makes it bad. It's an interesting challenge.
(7) Changes? less direwolves from northern orc
(8) Restarts? A lot, but most of them were attempts to defeat the enemy leaders which I eventually gave up on. I think defeating all leaders should have been possible with my high gold + very strong recall list but it just never worked when I tried (as in, I would end up with more losses than if I just ran).

I ended up luring the SE leader, then rushing the southeast orcs and moving all my units southeast to spread the enemy out when they got to me. Lost only an iron mauler. I probably could have defeated the other leaders if I had made an aggressive push during the second day but I was scared of the turn limit and did not want to have to replay the scenario so I took the easy way out.
EI-Evacuation_replay.gz
(49.42 KiB) Downloaded 783 times
------

taptap: Wow, that replay where you defeat all leaders is extremely impressive! I wouldn't have thought it possible with 200 gold.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

Medium

10 In my failed attemps to kill all the enemies. 2 when I just executed an escape.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? clear

Clear. The Engineer's accent cracked me up . :?

The big trolls and direwolves cutting down my army, not enough time, enemies too close, other kings had too much gold, losing my leveled veterans. (I even went back and replayed the Lake and the Capture scenarios but just couldn't get a lot of gold to carry over. How do people get 400 from Capture? It took me too long moving everyone).

In Evacuation it was impossible for me to kill all the enemy units with only 219 gold. Maybe other people know how but I just couldn't. I started with a lot of Level 3 units. Restarted many times, and finally gave up. I was only ever able to kill 2 kings and their units but the third would always get me.

So I rethought my strategy. Recalled my high level units, put the calvary in front, the Iron maulers and Trolls on the west and rear, with all Mages in the middle. I kept this formation and moved towards the river. Did not attack unless it cost no points. Finished around turn 5. Having Iron Maulers with high hit/defence points is what is saved me. They protected the rear. Lvl1 units did not last, trolls sliced through them like butter. But one iron Mauler killed 3 dire-wolves that came charging at him - now THAT was a beautiful thing to see! Sad to lose some veterans, but about 8 lvl3's made it across the bridge.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 2. In this battle tough decesions must be made.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?[/quote]
Simply remove one of the enemy armies, 2 enemy armies is plenty. Or when a king is killed, have his remaining troops reduce their points by half making them weaker when their leader is gone. Or better yet remove all the units when the king dies.
shawn1422

Post by shawn1422 »

I don't think this is a bad scenario, the idea that you will use units is a good thing, though i do always try to save mine. the problem is after the scenario ended the only unit i got to recall the next mission was just one unit that i used in the last scenario. Now i'm not that angry as i do love the prospect of focusing to keep some units alive over others, but I can say that i'm at a large disadvantage now that i lost 2 iron maulers, an arch mage and another level 3 silver mage or whatever it is as those were some top tier units to siege the enemy with.
LordWolfDan

Re: Scenario Review - EI 13 - Evacuation

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear

- I like it. Engineer could have had a different name, but his accent is sure fun to read.

- Surviving these orcish raids.

- Have one enemy leader less or just have one with the big income.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario Review - EI 12 - Evacuation

Post by Konrad2 »

Hard, 1.14.6

Clear.

It's okay.

Making sure not to bait too many Troll Warriors at once.

-
Attachments
EI-Evacuation replay.gz
(35.58 KiB) Downloaded 617 times