[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 6 - Two Paths

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 6 - Two Paths

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

(1) 1.1.7, medium
(2) quite difficult (6)
(3) very clear
(4) the dialogue was nice, however, I consider the storyline unlikely: since the orcs and the UD are the dominant forces in the area and in hostile terms, they would probably not join together to get rid of a minor nuisance - rather, they would both seek more actively to ally with the nuisance and use it against the other force.
(5) Not rushing too far too early, I had to load a few times after losing some of my key units, finally I decided during the first night only to deal with the assassins, and go for the UD's during the second day. Also, restraining from capturing villages, and restraining from dividing my forces too much.
(6) interesting (7) - many strategic elements, related to the time of day, terrain and battle dynamics, make the scenario quite an interesting one.
(7) just minor tweaks related to the storyline
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 3
3) Clear
4) Okay
5) No big problems - march north, camp out the swamp of bats and assassins, kill the orc leader
6) 5
7) -.
Krellja

Re: Scenario Review - EI: Two Paths

Post by Krellja »

turin wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(1) Medium, 1.6.5
(2) 3
(3) Clear
(4) ok
(5) Finished the scenario in turn 7 by killing the ork-leader. Two small drawbacks: Lost a dragoon because of stupidity and had to give the leader-kill to an iron mauler to prevent loosing a white mage :(
(6) 6
(7) none
miekka

Post by miekka »

1. medium 1.6.5
2. 6
3. very clear
4. it's good
5. deciding which one to go after, I planned to kill the undead since I had plenty of shock troopers but in the end I killed the orc
6. 6
7. none
Daiker01

Post by Daiker01 »

(1) Version 1.8.0 on Medium
(2) 4
(3) Very clear
(4) Good
(5) Keeping Owaec alive, as he is only level 1
(6) 6
(7) I would make the undead leader recruit more powerfull troops, some level one and two units instead of bats only. The player has had enought time to build a decent army by now.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

challenging; 1.8.3

Clear.

Quite clear. Quite interesting.

Surviving is difficult enough, and then there is the time limit. I tried the strategy in the Wiki (march northwest with shock troopers and white mages), a strategy intended for medium level, not challenging. One problem is that even a single orc warrior can strike (a level 2) Gweddry down in one attack, and at night bats tend to kill him if he is wounded. I tried hiding in the forest, but of course Gweddry can still be taken down by one attack, and anyway my troops would start dying off and I would run out of time. Finally I tried leader assassination (of the undead leader, of course) via all-out suicidal calvary charge. That did the trick, at the cost of one calvaryman. I gained almost no experience, but I did finish on turn 5, for a big gold bonus.

Make it a little easier on "challenging". Add two turns or reduce gold by 50 for undead. Note that I took the easier path a few scenarios ago, so I'm not armed with pallidans and highly experienced troops, and maybe I'm paying the price for this now.
Attachments
EI-Two_Paths_replay.gz
(18.11 KiB) Downloaded 991 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

turin wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.3
3 - Orc warriors hit a bit hard, but overall it was okay.
Clear.
Nothing special.
Orc Warriors and bats picking off wounded units.
4 - better than the last, but needs some buff.
Buff the undead leader a bit. Though I went for the Orc leader, the undead didn't really attack behind me.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Medium, 266 starting gold

Clear enough, kill one of the leaders. Which one seems rather arbitrary - there is little to guide me towards one or the other (usually such choices seem to be between an easier and harder path).

Interesting the orcs and undead would decide to gang up, which seems a little thin.

No major ones. The lack of defensible terrain and the fact you need to keep moving combine to make a little challenge.

I think have the undead and Orcs fight, make them a little tougher if need be to compensate.
Attachments
EI-Two_Paths_replay.gz
(19.97 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.4.

5, to kill the orcs. Actually I wanted to go for the undead, but I had big problems to protect my important units and found no real strategy for this. After I read in the walkthrough, that the orc path is more rewarding, I went for the orcs, which was comparatively easy, although I can't really say why.

Clear

The alliance between orcs and undead was surprising for me, but is an interesting idea.

The Bats

None
BfWEthnographer

Post by BfWEthnographer »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal; 1.8.5
Clear
Engaging, as the rest of the campaign so far.
However, the scenario ends a bit abruptly: shouldn't the remaining enemy leader say something? The orcs leader dies, but noone really say anything about that.
I found bats quite annoying to deal with
--
Attachments
EI-Two_Paths_replay.gz
(25.16 KiB) Downloaded 884 times
Current research on sustainability of commons (also involving BfW) - ISSP
Old (unmaintained) website used for my PhD research on BfW

podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, no reloads

moderate, probably 5. I found the best way to win the map is to assasinate either leader with a horsemen pack, before the night comes. Btw if the leaders were made stationary it would have been definitely much tougher to win, probably near impossible if you aim for the orcs.

clear

as usual

I've tried a few ways to arrange a battle and think it's best to buy 5-6 horsemen and run straightforward to assasinate the leader. For an Orc leader, a certain luck is required for everything to work, he's tough.

short but quite fun

beautify the map, it looks like it's not polished
Attachments
EI-Two_Paths_replay.gz
(20.06 KiB) Downloaded 895 times
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.6, hard
230 starting gold

5. It's definitely another scenario for letting low-level-units get experience. (But still, don't underestimate the bates, they like to kill the mages which are presumed to be in safe position in the rear of your army.)
I headed for the orc, because I never managed to catch the ogres in the scenario after the following. Keeping the ogre alive in the following scenario would relieve me of my problem, that's why I went north.

clear

Completely no sense in heading north. What's the sense of an outpost, if running anway when attacked?
It seems like Dacyn wants to keep us away from Wesnoth, because that would keep the undead, as they're following us, away too. But honestly: Did the undead attack the outpost because of Gweddry (they surely didn't know abaout Dacyn)? As explained in the campaign's beginning, he's definitely not (yet) that important. So they came for Wesnoth. And that's why the royal troops have to protect and support the kingdom.

I agree in the hopeless (or call it far too optimistic) attempt to catch Mal-Ravanal flat-footed and the march to the east. Afterwards joining Owaec or any other wesnothian troops is also straightforward. But now, that undead attack Wesnoth en masse (we met them east, we met them north, Dacyn suggests they are already west of us) we cowardly sidestep to the north? And dutiful Gweddry, who gave a damn about Dacyn's advice before and risked so much earlier on, does not disagree? I'm not getting it...

Don't get to close to the orc at night cause he likes to come out of his castle and join the fight. Also keeping the mages protected looks easier than it is. But as in the scenario before - coming along with the knights keeps it quite easy.

Nonsense, explain why we are running north. Again it's a nice scenario for low-level-units. I think the former scenario and this one serve to let players gain XP for their troops which hadn't too much fighting so far and need to level their units.

Put more reason in going north. Maybe again the search for the sceptre of fire or whatever, some old friends of Dacyn (powerful mages) or something else.
Attachments
IdF-Zwei_Wege_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(24.54 KiB) Downloaded 1129 times
line

Post by line »

1.9.14, hard
208 starting gold

5. Don't get to close to the enemies' bosses at night.

Clear.

Clear.

Promoting mages and Owaec.

See previous post.
Attachments
IdF-Zwei_Wege_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(30.02 KiB) Downloaded 802 times
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.3 hard (Challenging - Royal Guard)
150 gold

6 (for killing the orc boss)

Crystal.

None except avoiding unnecessary losses.

6/10

The map isn't very exciting, no swamps, no water, no little forest patches,... no tactics. It's just a frontal assault.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
EI-Two_Paths_replay.gz
(25.06 KiB) Downloaded 772 times