[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 1 - The Outpost

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thrash

Re: Scenario Review - EI: The Outpost

Post by Thrash »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

1.8.3, Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

7. I tried a variety of tactics, found one that worked and then the trap door threw me since I couldn't get to it. Then I read the wiki and settled on the line of HI strategy that worked. (Managed to level one and got a couple others closer.)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Thought it was just a survive, but then the trap door threw me.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

OK

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Surviving and not being overrun enough to get to the trap door.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Nothing comes to mind.
Attachments
EI-The_Outpost_replay.gz
(17.87 KiB) Downloaded 851 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

turin wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.3
3 - HI and mages crush the skeletons; a single spearman and Gweddry can deal with the bats. It's a not-too-extraordinary survive scenario. In fact, I could have killed the leaders with my forces at hand, but decided I'd rather have the gold and fled.
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was nice that it foreshadowed Mal-Ravanal's involvement. If you didn't know the story you'd be like "Who's that?"
Bats going behind my rear and stealing villages.
5 - Normal first scenario. Not too special, but not dull.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Fine as is.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

1.8.4, medium

Clear

Quite interesting.

Not to lose too many units.

7.However I must say that there is significant amount of luck involved,especially when you are using heavy infantrymen in plenty.Any one of them can easily kill even a L2 undead at daytime if both the 2 hits are successful.But a single failure may be disastrous.Due to their low defences the HI fall quickly when attacked by 2-3 undead at a time.However this is just the beginning.The whole campaign is dependable on pure luck,rather than strategy.

In its present status its quite good.At least in this scenario no changes are needed.
Attachments
EI-The_Outpost_replay.gz
(17.17 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.4.

8. I played this scenario two years ago, when it was impossible for me to finish this scenario. Now it is still tough, but doable.

Clear

Okay.

Moving Gweddry to the trap door was a surprise for me, when I played this scenario two years ago. Because of the long time I forgot the details of this scenario and was surprised again. Fortunately Gweddry was close to the trap door, but I needed some luck (and a reload) to fight my way free.

A hint, that Gweddry should stay close to the keep. At the begining he says, that he has to defend the keep at all costs, but I considered this to be only a general statement.
BfWEthnographer

Post by BfWEthnographer »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal; 1.8.5
Without having seen a replay of a won match: 9
Afterwards: 5
Clear
Clear and nice
Keeping HI units in reasonably-good health before dawn comes.
Finding the best map area where to bring the fight was also challenging. I tried north-east, south-east, east. A combination of east and south-east it seemed the best.
---
Attachments
EI-The_Outpost_replay.gz
(18.49 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
Current research on sustainability of commons (also involving BfW) - ISSP
Old (unmaintained) website used for my PhD research on BfW

sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

I played about 10 tries on challenging 1.9.2, and I find it impossible. I just don't have enough money to buy reinforcements, meaning that you have to win with 8-9 troops. Holding the river or the keep, the shock troopers get shredded by arrows and cut enough by axes to mean you are down to 3-4 troops by the second night. Eventually the skeletons break you, or the bats eat up Gweddry. Without massive save/loading I don't think I can win here, though a couple of others have said they did. On medium I didn't find this a challenge at all.
tom030890

Post by tom030890 »

1) Hard 1.8
2) I thought it was impossible then stopped defending. Attacking gives two advantages and makes the level entirely doable (if you don't go overkill) 7
3) clear but a bit surprised by the trapdoor first time.
4) Interesting
5) Initial attempts were fruitless as the HI necessary to survive skellie waves get mullered on defence and mages get drained by bats. I thought it was impossible, until i realised that attacking divides the enemy and makes it doable.
6) 3 - I got pretty irritated to have an initial scenario that was so difficult.
7) A bit more of a hint to go on the offensive perhaps? a free HI that makes a suggestion that divide and conquer is the solution.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, no reloads

to win with some level-ups, probably 6. It's a small skirmish and you have unit selection/terrain advantage.

clear

clear

level up some crippled troopers

it's quite fun

looks nice as is
Attachments
EI-The_Outpost_replay.gz
(21.93 KiB) Downloaded 787 times
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.6, hard

At least 7. As I hate losing troops (especially those who already picked up quite a bit experience) and tried to keep them covered (what is even harder cause of nasty bats) I think 8 or 9.

clear

clear

I found the following level quite easier, if you can bring a mage with some experience into the tunnel. I once managed to complete the outpost with a surviving mage with some XP but couldn't repeat it. Also bat-killing is easier with mages.
In principle the undead reaching your keep at night and the bats as well is a bad combo. So i tried to lure the bats (bait the bats ^_^ ) straight to my keep by not recruting until round 4 (also I think recruting HI right from the start would make the AI to recruit more undead (which all arrive your keep about the same time) instead of bats - ist that possible?) what also rises your funds.
That time I went lucky as Gweddry advanced and I made use of his leadership ability. But the main fight was over when it happened.

Not an easy starter, and thinking strategically: Which genius placed this outpost, having the river in your back? So it's a 6 - challenging but quite manageable. The bats interfere in putting up a defensive line from the village north of your keep and the keep itself. Batkilling without mages is strange, as you act opposed to regular behaviour - put a unit next to a village but not in it. Let the bat capture the village and then attack. Only do so, when no undead can claim the village of course.

None
Attachments
IdF-Der_Außenposten_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(21.2 KiB) Downloaded 789 times
Last edited by line on January 10th, 2013, 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
line

Post by line »

1.9.14, hard

8 or 9. The bats are stronger now, because their defense when placed in villages increased from 40 to 50% (compared to 1.8.6 - I guess it changed with the intro of 1.9). So I personally think, it's quite easier to play, with the AI recruiting less bats and more undead instead. It offers you the possibility to create safe areas by using ZOC in the rear of your army. If you face too many bats, it won't work out, because of their high mobility.

I noticed two things: First, if you shall hold out 2 days, what equals 12 turns, Dacyn shows up to early. It's possible to finish on turn 12 what would mean, you didn't stay for two whole days, as the AI can't complete their 12th turn.
Second, knowing that two days means 12 turns you can see obviously that the limit of 16 rounds points towards a further plot yet to come.

Clear. But there is talk of the undead searching something. I think there is no clearing up of what is meant by that later in the campaign. I think it's just a simple attack on wesnoth.

Finding the right strategy I tried to recruit a mage right from the start to better deal with the bats. But that didn't work out. It seems to help to recruit a spearman. You can use him as fodder (as he is cheaper than the HI and offers just a 40% CTH to the undead while on a castle hex). Also you can make use of him attacking bats.

Facing too many bats, it's really annoying. So it depends on the AI's recruiting. Also your own recruiting is influenced by luck, because you will prefer to get fearless HI to deal with the first night's attack. Therefore I reduce my rating to 4-5.

In the scenario's end, show the undead's reinforcement to put more reason in the escape to the tunnel.
Attachments
IdF-Der_Außenposten_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(21.89 KiB) Downloaded 758 times
Last edited by line on January 10th, 2013, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2
100%
I'm curious as to whats his face white mage's dialogue, he knows something that i don't.
Deciding which units i want to give experience to. I checked the resistances and decided to spam HIs and mages, which worked wonders. Ended up getting my leader some exp, and leveling up an HI as well.
Extend the number of turns, that you can possibly stay, while keeping the trapdoor appearing at the current time. This would make it so people that need to escape will have no change at all, but people who were rocking the battlefield can sweep up a little bit more experience before they have to depart.
Fate is against me.
maredi316

Post by maredi316 »

(1) Difficuliy,version-1.10.3, royal guard level(I think challenging), no redoes with going back to turns
(2) How difficult-9
(3) Clarity of objective-no improvements needed
(4) Clarity and interestingness of dialog-interesting way to start plot
(5) Major challenges-bats. They gang up on the sergeant and kill him in about two or three turns. Also the distance of the battlefield forces a battle to start about night1 or dusk. Skeleton archers. The limited amount of gold.
(6) Entertainment from scenario-6
(7) Suggested changes-less villages nearby the enemies-they will literally call in a unit every turn. Or, take out the mountains and hills from blue and purple-makes it easier to kill the enemies
taptap

Post by taptap »

I beat this several times before, but had to realize today I can't consistently beat it (on Royal Guard). Lost twice.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy and medium 1.8.5 and 1.10.5.

It's variable due to level and AI recruitment and strategies but an average 6.

Clear, survive.

The general gist is clear, but more specifically it isn't that clear. We're told that strange things are happening such as cattle going missing and stuff, and then you have this Mage saying we have to flee because it's down to the Undead. To me it's more logical to investigate and try to prevent these events.

I mean what if Gweddry was a sergeant not with the Wesnothian Army but with the Wesnothian police force? 'We have been investigating a series of cattle thefts and strange events and have decided to take the advice of a Mage and scarper.'

At first finding the trap door that Gweddry must escape from was a complete mystery. I searched the map and even tried to capture villages (an even bigger obstacle thanks to the bats) and figured that my version must have a bug. It wasn't until I decided to involve Dacyn in the search that I realized that he was standing on the trapdoor all along.

My main challenge consistently is capturing villages. It always seems to be a straightforward choice between surviving and capturing villages. The middle undead leader is the easiest as he sends a few skeleton archers - I think three on Easy and they all home in on one HI. But the other two vary. From the SE you either get psychotic Revenants or an endless stream of bats. Seriously. It's like this Mal Ravanal character is one serious bat breeder.

Other times you don't get so many bats but the NE leader starts churning out walking corpses. I keep coming back to this with a kind of 'circle my wagon' strategy with HI and Mages as I would like to survive and have half a dozen villages.

I'd give this a 9, even when you've got bats all over the place fighting over villages and you're not sure whether you're going to suddenly lose a couple of units through a bat infestation. This is so far the only scenario where I've managed to level up a White Mage from a recruited Mage.

I would leave it as it is.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5. Like most usual scenarios that start with a "Flee, we are overwhelmed!" story, you can avoid to flee and win instead.
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, too typical.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Bats make it difficult - they ignore control zones, they ignore difficult terrain, they have a lot of movement and they are all for finishing your wounded units.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
-