Scenario Review: DW 8 - Talking to Tyegëa

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DW 8 - Talking to Tyegëa

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario Review: DW 8 - Talking to Tyegëa

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult (nightmare); 1.9.0

1, by design

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
"Kai Maudin was your father Laudiss's father, Krellis, but his wife, Indress, was not Laudiss's mother. She raised your father, and you called her grandmother, but Tyegea is your father's mother."
=> Whosy what? I suggest explaining this confusing family tree from the other direction. Something like...
Tyegea: "I'm your grandmother."
Krellis: "No, you're not. Both my grandmothers are dead!"
Cyllana: "No, Tyegea speaks the truth. The one named Indress was your grandfather's wife, but Tyegea gave birth to your mother."
Tyegea: "What can I say? I was young and foolish and your grandfather was a very handsome man."

Deciding whom to give the holy water.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No idea.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Not many comments, but clear WML.

Edit: For 1.11.15, I like the dialog better now. Thanks for the changes.
Last edited by Maiklas3000 on June 11th, 2014, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Normal 1.9.3 (76 gold)

1 Gee, I wonder why? (Sarcastic)

Clear (But how do you lose? :P )

I agree with Maiklas3000, That the famliy tree is hard to understand the way Tyegea tells it :?

Picking the right unit. I ended up choosing Keshan, Because he can burn the undead with no problem, But when it comes to melee combart he sucks.

10 I've never had this much fun picking up a bottle :lol2: (Sarcastic again)

It dosen't need any changes

I didn't even know how to lose...

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
It's fine

===========
[Unrelated]Why doesn't Tyegea have her own portrait? I have a feeling she's going to be making more apperances... Besides, She's a grandmother, The genaric diviner portrait doesn't look old :| [/Unrelated]
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I've changed it to be a lot like what Maiklas3000 said. (It's hard to tell what's going to sound funny in someone else's head!)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

A random nitpick in the 1.9.5 version.
Tyegëa's line, "If you retrieve it, you would prove yourself to be worthy of whatever help I was to provide," should read, "whatever help I were to provide."
Alternatively, "whatever help I may provide," expresses the same idea in a simpler form.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Fixed. Actually, I think the subjunctive is starting to sound a little archaic in English, but that makes it fit Wesnoth.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
taptap

Post by taptap »

I found the dialog a little confusing. So many new names in just a few sentences, even if they are my grandparents.

One line of Cylanna has "he he" presumably a typo.

It would be nice when you can actually see Tyegea (that is her sprite) while she is speaking, but she is covered by the dialog box.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Fixed the typo. Thanks. I'm not that concerned about the covered-up sprite because it depends on your screen size. (It's not covered on my screen, for instance.) I don't think it's worth rearranging the map to try to get it clear of the dialog no matter what.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

• 1) Level, Version? Normal; 1.9.7
    2) Scenario Objectives? Clear.
    3) Dialogue and story? Good.
    4) Changes? Not needed.
    5) WML? Well commented.
Note:
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2

Tyegea came across as a bit stern, snappy, and prideful, which i assume was the intention.

I had a lv.3 hoplite, but since they are mostly for defense, i decided to give the holy water to a lv.2 warrior instead, my logic is that i can turn this warrior into a triton, and deal out more damage than the hoplite would have been able to, putting the arcane damage to better use.
Fate is against me.
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

Normal, 1.10.5

1 (but that's intended I guess ;))

Crystal clear

It was a nice twist in the story.

Selecting a unit to fetch the holy water.

2, everybody could have done it ^^

Nothing. It's mainly there to help the story.

How can you even lose?
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

10 - couldn't beat it without save loading :P

Anyway I gave the holy water to Kai Krellis as he was my only melee unit (also gave him the storm trident). I know this wasn't optimal but I didn't level any fighters in previous scenarios since they're useless against undead.

Also, I liked the dialog / story here.
sine_nomine

Post by sine_nomine »

I gave the holy water to a fighter.

I just tested and recalling a unit does reduce your starting gold for the next chapter; after recalling a fighter and waiting a turn I started the next scenario with 146 gold, but by taking the holy water turn 1 without recruiting I started scenario 9 with 167 gold. Not sure if this is intentional.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- It does seem interesting, but it's kinda odd that Tyegea is Kai Krelis' biological grandmother, which by any means, should be disgraced as by merfolk royal family. Still, who am I judge?
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7, all four difficulty levels.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, not that much interesting. Tyegea is a selfish, arrogant, self-satisfying individual - I guess that the only reason the protagonists listen to her is because they need help. Does the protagonist have to prove he's her grandson? It should be the other way round - it's not him who failed to honour his duties as a parent. The genealogy explanation in version 1.10.7 is still not clear - bear in mind that we are suddenly being introduced to three new people, the protagonist's father and his fathers, and theirs are strange names that make it hard to tell the males from the female. When you need to re-read the sentence more than once in order to tell who's who, you know the writing is not clear.