Scenario Review: DW 10 - The Flaming Sword

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lujo

Re: Scenario Review: DW 10 - The Flaming Sword

Post by lujo »

[quote="sine_nomine"](1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Highest, 1.12.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

It's complicated, see below.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Fine

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Rather good, the mage guy is nicely written

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

I was hesitant to move my ball of powerful units towards the enemy at night, despite having plenty of Illuminate. This caused me to kill the enemy boss at the last possible moment, which then made me lose when the mage took the sword.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Some more time at the hardest difficulty. Either that or freezing the clock when the mage takes the sword because it's not really possible to assume a first time player of the campaign will be able to assume what will happen.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Yes, the mage taking the sword caused me to run out of time. I reloaded a few more times for efficiency.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Difficult, 1.141

5. I have to say, mermaid white mages are strong vs undead. ._.

Fine.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Liked it.

Figuring out that the enemy isn't as though as I thought.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

I overextended sometimes and was punished for this.
Attachments
DW-The Flaming Sword replay.gz
(48.96 KiB) Downloaded 670 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear

- More or less good. Nice to see Siddry back. I think that Caladon retrieving sword should have been less predictable. Something like: "Let me take the sword first and see if it is right." Then his true intentions could show up

- None actually surprisingly

- I think that after Caladon drops The Staff of Righteous Flame, any unit, maybe Cylanna, should pick it up

- No
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7, all four difficulty levels.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, interesting dialog and plot - the twist is fine.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
It's quite a battle against so many enemies. The drake's leadership comes in handy, but then terrain is so much disfavourable for him - it gets 30% to 40% defence bonus only. The early finish bonus is bad - only 31 gold per turn. At the end, I was getting 34 gold from the villages, so rather than killing the lich straight away I waited. I surrounded the lich's castle and killed the units he recruited each turn, I levelled up all of my units to their maximum level. Then I killed the lich and had to face Caladon - at the highest difficulty he starts by recruiting six fire guardians, then two more each turn. Again, I kept killing recruits and waiting so I would hoard more gold than from killing the enemy straight away.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's fine.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
OneMisterD

Post by OneMisterD »

- 1.14.11, Warrior, Challenging.

- Clear

- Pretty straight forwards, cool to see the Bandits help you.

- None at all.

- 4, the map big which I thought would be a nice change of pace but it feels awfully empty.

- The mage drops a staff to pick up the sword, would be nice for you to be able to pick it up.

- The map feels empty, maybe if the Human Bandits you help gave you an optional objective killing some enemy leader in the southeast corner of the map that would be great.

- No