Scenario Review: DW 6 - Uncharted Islands

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DW 6 - Uncharted Islands

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario Review: DW 6 - Uncharted Islands

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult (nightmare); 1.9.0

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The dialog does not quite work for me. I understand that Growloff is supposed to be eccentric, but still the dialog is too cute and contrived.

The major challenges were surviving the initial onslaught and assassinating the leader in time.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Don't know.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I did lose once, when I tried a more southern approach.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Although it contains strategy tips, it's less well commented than others in the campaign. Could comment on Growloff's death event.
Attachments
DW-Uncharted_Islands_replay.gz
(39.18 KiB) Downloaded 1124 times
alda

Post by alda »

difficult, 1.9.0

clear

average

The sea serpents can do lot of damage, so you've got to be careful. My two Entanglers were quite useful here to make them less harmful. Else, the scenario was rather easy.

6, well, its just a classic 1vs1 but still you've got quite uncommon units to fight against which is a cool thing.

Nothing here.

Well, I restarted once because I had been a little optimistic and didn't recruit enough units first but that's just it.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Heh, I watched the files to see the strategy tips that Maiklas above me was always alking about. Well, that's nice :P
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Normal 1.9.3 (200 gold)

Clear

Good

Sea monsters. And for a while, He wouldn't stop recruiting :annoyed:

6-7

I think it would be cool if you could choose to accept Growlolf's gift :) Maybe if you think the cuttlefish is going to be to dangerous he'd give you some gold instead.

Some of my best units became sea monster treats. So I restarted.

============
P.S: If anyone is wondering how (Or why) I'm posting the posts in this thread so fast, It is because I played scenario 1-6 without stopping.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
dsa

Post by dsa »

Difficult, 1.9.3

8, I had some serious problems at first. Maybe because I was surprised by the high base income of the enemy leader.

Clear

It seems a bit contrived, but I think it's okay, if you regard the enemy leader as a typical example for someone, who is overrating himself and later tries to save himself by all means.

The sea serpents, because of their high HP.

6, I can't really say why, but I don't like it much for some reason, at least I get a very useful loyal unit (when it reaches level 3).

Can't think of anything.

I had to reload several times during my first try and still lost two good units. Therefore I restarted, to delay my advance until the first night was over and lost no important unit as a result.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Easy, 1.9.4
Clear.
Great.
Sea Serpents, especially at night.
Wrong tactic first, in deep water my mermen had too bad defence.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.8, top difficulty, no reloads

"7", but I have a feeling I was a bit lucky overall. Anyway, the map is tough but not terribly tough.

clear

good

minimizing the damage from serpents

cool one, like it a lot

great as is

nope
Attachments
(33.81 KiB) Downloaded 894 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Triton (Difficult), 1.9.13. Pretty tough (harder than Slavers, where you can swim away at night) and fun scenario. I found it almost impossible to avoid losing high level units (which is good), although I had worse problems when I played this on Challenging. The assassination strategies written in the Wiki don't work for me. Especially serpents have too good movement to approach unharrassed and if your assassination squad is stuck with a serpent things can go downhill rapidly. Slowing and illumination and good terrain was the key to winning this scenario for me, still lost an entangler, a warrior and a citizen.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

taptap wrote:I found it almost impossible to avoid losing high level units (which is good)
I'm glad you liked it. I hate losing high-level units myself, so of course I designed a level where it's pretty much inevitable!

(And a note to everybody else: I do still read all the comments in these threads even if I can't respond to them all.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

• 1) Level, Version? Normal (273/200 gold pieces); 1.9.7
    2) Difficulty? 5.
    3) Scenario Objectives? Clear.
    4) Dialogue and story? Good.
    5) Challenges? Disable enemy heavy damage dealing units before their power could be used.
    6) Is it fun? 10
    7) Make it more fun? No, players could be hooked to this level. :mrgreen:
    8) Reload or restart? No.
    9) WML? Well commented.
    10) Replay? Attached.
Attachments
DW-Uncharted_Islands_NL.gz
(37.85 KiB) Downloaded 803 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

I tried this once and got rolled hard, i'm going to try it again being a lot more cautious and see if i get better results.

Edit: Tried a second time, used coral reefs to my advantage and time of day, but somehow i got hit even worse this time and only made it to turn 11.

Edit 2: I found out that i was doing this wrong the whole time. I looked on the wiki and found that the best way to do this was an assassination. I sent a couple cheap units west to the 3 islands over there, and just had them run around annoyingly for the enemy to fight. The rest of my force- all my leaders, loyals, and 2 or 3 normal units, went up the north route and tried an assassination attempt. I panicked when some of his units turned around and headed back for me, and when his castle was fully stocked with fresh units. If he had stayed behind his units, i probably would have died, but when i sent a unit to attack his castle, he just ran out into the shallow water, in front of his protective units, and with like 20% defense. From there, my leaders just tag teamed him and took him down in 1 turn. He was a slippery one, but i got him alright!

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 10 for a conventional fight, 6 for an assassination.
Objectives: 100% clear.
Dialogue: Good, the ranger guy seems kind of shifty though. He tries to feed me to his pets, and then claims he never wanted to hurt me. I wouldn't be surprised if he came back later to mess something up.
Challenges: Figuring out the strategy, to win. I would probably still be stuck if not for the wiki.
Fun: 7
Changes: There should be some clue that you can make a break for the leader instead of trying to fend off his pets.
Restarts: 2, i died twice trying to beat it normally.
Attachments
DW-Uncharted_Islands_Turn_7Replay.gz
(37.15 KiB) Downloaded 769 times
DW-Uncharted_Islands_Turn_11Replay.gz
(34.64 KiB) Downloaded 817 times
DW-Uncharted_Islands_Turn_14Replay.gz
(38.44 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
Fate is against me.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I never tried an assassination on this one, so that's why there is no clue about it, but I'm glad it worked for you! I think the reason you are having trouble is your lack of high-level units. I wrote this scenario under the assumption that you would have about half a dozen, not counting your loyals. You have more high-level enemies coming up, so it's going to get harder to face them with level-ones. (You would have a better chance if you used Krellis's leadership ability more. It might help you level-up some units early in the next scenario.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

I did the drake level without any high lv units and it was a lot easier than this one even though i was probably even more outnumbered and outmatched. I think the real difference between that scenario and this one is that the animals in this scenario are all marine ones, so you can get at most a 10% defense advantage over them depending on positioning in different waters and reefs, whereas none of the drakes are marine fighters, so positioning tactics play a greater role in that one. On that one i was even able to occupy the drakes castle and feed my units levels by letting him spawn 1 unit a turn, so i got some good vets there.
Fate is against me.
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

Normal, 1.10.5

9, Surviving the onslaught and beating the mission in time was hard.

Clear

I liked the dialogue, it was fun to read.

Perform the assassination in time and trying to keep your lvl. 2 units alive.

8, the dialogue was nice and fighting monsters was something new

Nothing.

I first couldn't beat it in time, just one turn was missing. So I went back about 4 turns, hurried to get to the opponent a bit more and it worked wonders.
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

1.10.5 - Triton - (Nightmare) - No save/load - 227 starting gold

7.5 for a relatively efficient win

Clear.

No complaints.

Sea Serpents at night, net attacks that missed. The challenge is highly dependent on the recruiting pattern of the AI leader. If he chain recruits serpents and cuttlefish it can be difficult to approach without putting a unit in a dangerous situation. But if he recruits weaker units two turns in a row it can be game over for him.

The other challenge was money. I felt like there would probably be harder scenarios in the future, so I wanted to get some kind of a gold bonus from this scenario if I could, but all my high level units were draining my cash reserves. This meant that I preferred to push forward rather than camp and try to split up the packs of serpents and cuttlefish.

7.5. Standard 1v1, plus half a point for the innovative design of using a customized monster side instead of a standard side.

The AI leader kind of choked in my run. He had plenty of gold and few powerful units alive but he did a double bat recruit followed by a bat tentacle recruit. This allowed me to close the distance safely and I was able to win on turn 10 with a push straight up the middle of the map. He should have recruited a more powerful unit.

Never reloaded, many restarts when I was unable to keep all of the serpents and cuttlefish slowed and they slaughtered a key unit (a loyal for example). In the final run I had to accept the loss of a netcaster in exchange for an otherwise good run.
Attachments
1.10.5 - Nightmare - no save load
(34.01 KiB) Downloaded 900 times