Scenario Review: DW 5 - Tirigaz

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario Review: DW 5 - Tirigaz

Post by Inky »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.10.4, Triton/difficult, 167 starting gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5 - not too difficult. Killed orc leader too.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear. I like how you get the choice to stick around after you've killed the undead.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Loved the orc's humorous dialog (but it didn't prevent me from killing him)

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not much; magical units wipe out the undead and you can wait in the water right outside the orc's keep until day.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6 - pretty fun; not much to it though

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Not sure, but I feel the orc leader is a bit too passive; just sits in his castle and waits for you to come kill him.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.10.7 - Medium
3 - You have to watch out for the Spectres as they can really hurt you. Besides that, it wasn't really difficult.
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was allright, but the orc seems to be a bit to passive especially after what the mermen did to him the last time. Maybe he should recruit some units, just in case something happens ;) .
The only challenge was to watch out for the two/three Spectres as they can easily take out a levelled unit when supported by Ghosts.
6 - Nothing special and perhaps a bit lame to just assassinate the Orc leader that easy.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Give the Orc leader some troops and let them patrol or just guard him.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I had to restart once because I underestimated the strength of the Spectres.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Medium, Wesnoth 1.10.5, iOS 1.0.4 iPad ver (replay uploads downloads n/a)
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 5
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? good
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Killing the spectre ghosts. Using the Drake Flare's leadership without getting him killed. Remembering not to set foot on the the ogre's land. It really ticked him off.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Great as is.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Didn't have to this time.
Finished the scenario with a couple of Mermaid Diviners, 2 Tritons (one with the lightening power), an Entangler and Kai at level 2.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
sine_nomine

Post by sine_nomine »

Difficult (Triton), wesnoth 1.12.4
198 starting gold

4 but I totally half-assed it and it ended up appearing a lot more dangerous

Perfect

Great

I guess I should have crunched the numbers, positioned my units more carefully, etc. rather than haphazardly attacking at dawn. I ended up having to wait a turn anyway.
But I guess it worked out fine in the end.
I was a bit paranoid about the scenario triggers (didn't want to accidentally anger the orcs or end the scenario early) but it seems good.

The ghosts aren't very fun to fight (pretty basic, nuke them with magic) but I don't think it would be more fun even if they were more threatening. Their AI is a bit wonky though, I thought they would force an engagement at night but they seemed perfectly content to wait until daytime (I was the impatient one).
As for the orc, fighting him is kind of a joke. I suppose it's fine if that's the intent.

No
Attachments
DW-Tirigaz_replay.gz
(44.27 KiB) Downloaded 632 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Difficult, 1.14.1

Probably 5, but I baited the ghosts into fighting the orcs, which made it all a lot easier.

Perfect.

Great.

Getting the timing right for triggering the orcs so they'd go to war with the ghosts.

-

No.
Attachments
DW-Tirigaz replay.gz
(31.16 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Pretty clear

- Good. It's funny to see that orc leader is actually going to spare you as long as you stay the hell away from the port and his units and in the end, you have a choice to be diplomatic or to Blitzkrieg the town. This time I was diplomatic, but next time if I play on a harder scenario, I might go Blitzkrieg-ing

- None really

- make it that the undead are also attacking orcs, thus triggering a three army battle

- No
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7, all four difficulty levels.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, not that much interesting
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The undead and the orcs have level-3 units that can do a lot of damage. Still, there's not that much of a challenge because of the undeads AI. If you stay close to the coast, most undead start wandering north quite aimlessly (they even enter the orc's castle without him noticing them) and only a few ones get close to you. You can avoid them until dawn and engage them at day for your benefit. Similar thing with the orcs: because they cannot enter deep water, you can avoid them and engage them at your convenience.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
If the undeads AI cannot be improved, then make the undead appear closer to the Mermen so they lock on you from the very start
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No