Scenario Review: DW 2 - Flight

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DW 2 - Flight

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario Review: DW 2 - Flight

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult (nightmare); 1.9.0

8 if you have to give the leader some experience, 1 if you already leveled him in the first scenario, 10 if you try to kill one or more leaders on Difficult.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very good.

The first time, I just ran my already-level-1 leader without recruiting. With an easy victory in hand, I returned to see if I could do better. I tried assaulting the northeast and failed. Next, I tried sending only Citizens to the northeast and sending my best troops to the southwest. This worked, in the sense that I collected a little XP, including for my leader, and moved the leader to the signpost. However, it was mostly an exercise in running away from the enemy on both fronts.

9 if you don't just run to the signpost.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Time of day was spoiling my fun. First I advanced on my two fronts, then I engaged the enemy and wounded some of his units, then it's night, so I retreat. If the time of day were started one step earlier, the player would have a chance to field more of his units for the first day attack.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I lost many times, usually due to death of Priestess, restarting from turn 1.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Excellent.

If you watch the following replay, I suggest at least 2x acceleration under Preferences.
Attachments
DW-Flight_replay.gz
(42.67 KiB) Downloaded 977 times
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

Development Team wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Challenging, 1.9.0

I can't put a number on it, since running is easy, accumulating experience is a bit harder, and I only played it once through, but I can't imagine killing any of the liches. Maybe the SW one, if you get some lucky shots in, but by the time I was at him, it was night and he would have cut me alive. (And my leader was out of space to run up north.)

OK.

Killing a lich? The recruitment of the SW lich on turn one (all bats) made it a bit challenging. I also find it hard to level up anyone. After 2 scenarios, I do have a couple of people one kill away, and one level 2 fighter, but Kai has little experience, and getting to a priestess from the initiates is pretty tough.

6-7

Nothing comes to mind, though I will think about it and see if something comes to mind.

Turn 11 (my final turn), I was greedy trying to get to the lich, and lost the loyal netcaster, which I found unacceptable so early in the campaign.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
alda

Post by alda »

difficult, v1.9.0

5, but I didn't even try to kill the leaders here

quite clear, I just find it a little wacky that the way you play this scenario depends on what you did the previous one and the xp your leader gained there, making me wish I had him already leveled.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario
average

Well, my plan was quite simple and perfectly worked : send my army and my leader towards the NE keep, cos gaining xp and fighting high lvl skellies on water seem to be, like two synonyms, and once I lvled my king, run like hell to the NW spot. No problem here, though maybe decent luck helped a bit.

9, the hit-and-run mechanics of this game was quite fun to play, but I guess the fun-ness of this scenario can depend on how much xp your leader had.

A possible change I thought of could be, like requiring a certain amount of xp for your leader to gain, like 20 xp, instead of him being lvl1. Or, alternatively, requesting for him to kill 1, or 2 units. Still, the scenario as it is now is ok.

None

Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

1.9.3 (369 gold)

4 because Krellis made the killing blow to Mal-Kevek in the first scenario (It'd probably be a 8 if he hadn't)

Clear

Excellent

In the day time, I was really pushing them back. I almost killed Mel-Daveth, But then night came. And I had to get out of there

It's good the way it is

No

"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
dsa

Post by dsa »

Difficult, 1.9.3

1 for finishing the scenario, because my leader leveled up during the last scenario and I just had to move him to the destination. Killing a leader seems quite impossible to me, so I would give a 10 for achieving a bonus objective.

Clear

Good.

None

6, it was somehow strange to be "successful" by only moving the leader to the right destination, without a need to recruit any unit (only to get some experience). Otherwise it was kind of frustrating, that achieving a bonus objective seems pointless.

I would like something more, which can be done here, than moving my leader. Maybe a weak leader with comparatively little gold, who blocks the escape route, could be placed on a little island in the northwestern corner. A minimum amount of experience you have to earn with Kai Krellis, like someone else suggested it here, could also be a viable solution in my opinion.

No.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Easy, 1.9.4
I leveled already up, so I just moved to the destination and harvested XP for some recalled units, thus 1.
Clear.
Nothing bad to say.
Seconding dsa here.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Normal, 1.9.5

5. Had to get some XP for my leader, made an attempt to kill the NE enemy leader, which didn't work. When I decided to give up trying to kill any of the leaders, it was easy to get away.

Very clear

I found both the dialogue and storyline to be very clear and interesting.

Was easy enough to get my leader to level 1, because I had gotten some XP in the first scenario. I felt I had made decent troop deployment, my error was in not focusing on one leader to kill, to get the bonus. I feel if I played it again, I could take out the NE Leader.

8, liked the challenge of trying to kill one of the enemy leaders

Can't think of any, seems well enough.

No.

Excellent
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Warrior, 1.9.6.
(2) 7. Multiple reloads, two forced reloads. But that was with only one castle worth of recruits; I could have taken a lot more troops and accepted more losses.
(3) Clear.
(4) Good.
(5) I only fought bats. That was enough difficulty by itself.

I levelled my leader and fled before the spectres and nightgaunts arrived; didn't attempt to take on the enemy leaders.

(6) 5
(7) -
(8) Lost my leader twice to… well you can figure it out.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.8, top difficulty, reloaded once due to bad unit placement+bad luck

Easy, no more than "4". I had 16xp for my king to level up, so recalled/recruited 3 keeps and went for a water assault vs SW army. It's kinda tempting to fight NE undead, but they are very strong so it's easy to lose a valuable unit, and it will be harder to retreat.

Actually, I've spent more time thinking how to better distribute experience among my other units, than about how to lvl up my king/flee. I have 3 priestesses, 1 sorceress, 3 netcasters now, and a bunch of other experienced units.

clear

I don't care

no

I can only view it as quite fun xp-milking scenario. I'm sure killing everyone is impossible on this difficulty level.

probably good as is, but as someone said I don't hate if there will be something beyond fleeing to the NW. I mean, I had to score a couple of kills for my king, and it seemed just fine, but for those who have done it in the first scenario this map might appear a little bit dull. Also, the 1st map's toughness is nowhere near...

Finally, the replay for this map also crashes the game.

finished in my first try, one reload.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Mermen Warrior (Challenging), 1.9.9

0 (running with levelled Kai Krellis), 5 (taking out SW leader who only recruited bats and some easily distracted/destroyed soulless, but I decided to move out as soon as the spectre would come in striking distance of the SW commando, just took SW out in time), 10 (achieve more - taking on level 2 and 3 ghosts / skellies with mermen isn't fun)

Very clear.

Nice.

None for running.

Not losing a level2 when attacking SW.

Disappointment about bonus for killing SW. (He recruited only bats, so I hoped for a bat or so, but got a portable trait for Gwabbo and some xp for putting all my level 2s at risk and sacrificing much gold for recruiting and lesser early finish bonus.)

Not as epic as the first one.

I would like to go SE but didn't dare after seeing the recruits and trying once. (I saw the wraith always switching to a lich sprite in between, as if he can't decide what it is, this is a bug isn't it?)

Not sure. It is quite obvious you are facing stronger enemies now and can't seriously believe to kill them all. (No need to flee, if you would be able to pull that off after all.) However, I feel you can add some additional gold bonus for killing a leader, the cost of recruits and lost early finish bonus is higher in any case.

Trying to go SE to kill the guy once more (impossible even with a bunch of level2 among them 2 enchantresses, 2 priestesses).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I did manage to take out the SE leader on "challenging", but I lost a fair number of units.
Spoiler:
I'll think about modifying the bonuses to make them more worthwhile on the harder difficulties. The earliest I could do any work would be next weekend though.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
taptap

Post by taptap »

You are so fast to answer, thank you.

Though I find it reasonable that taking out SE isn't really anything that should happen or worthwile to achieve, when it leaves your units exposed (it looks like a suicide mission from start anyway) and I happily settled for SW to do something without risking too much.

Have you seen the wraith sprite switching to lich sprite in between? Is this intentional? (I use 1.9.9 on Mac)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I didn't see the sprites switching with 1.9.9 on Linux. It's definitely not intentional, so you should probably file a bug report for the developers on gna.org.

Edit: I changed the bonuses.
Spoiler:
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
xela

Post by xela »

Challenging

1 to run, 10 to kill all - which I did :)

Clear

Great

OK I admit it, I logged on to boast. I managed to kill all 3 undead, and it went like this... Turn 1 recalled a bunch of brawlers/citizens. Turn 2 my levelled initiates and a bunch more initiates. Turn 3 more citizens and initiates. I recalled as much as I could before I ran out of money, alternating between initiates and citizens. Most of my army went NE and set up one hex back from the beach. Slow from Gwabbo was essential, as was rotation and healing. Because of the lvl2 nature of the opponents you can quickly level more initiates and citizens, depending on your needs, though you will lose some. The levelled units were necessary to cushion the blow of the ghosts from the SE at dusk. I was slightly fortunate that the leader made a suicide dart out of his keep at dawn, and lo and behold all his minions disappeared when I nobbled him, allowing me to sweep back to my keep, then SE to finish off that leader.

Meanwhile a few initiates/citizens stayed with Kai at the keep dealing with bats and various flying critters - lost a few but some more levelled. By that time, NE was dead so Kai and his team could go take out the SW leader.

Finished 1 turn before the limit, with as many levelled magic critters as you want. Can't remember exactly, but had a lvl 3 priestess, and about 4 of each lvl 2s plus a bunch more with significant exp, plus the awesome bonuses
Spoiler:
10 challenging, doable, made me think, restarted a bunch of times, and felt AWESOME to beat it

none

Pride

N/A