Scenario Review: DW 3 - Wolf Coast

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DW 3 - Wolf Coast

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario Review: DW 3 - Wolf Coast

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult (nightmare); 1.9.0

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good.

The biggest challenge was listening to the whines of the wolves under 1.9.0. The second biggest challenge was deciding which units to level.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The wolf riders seem awfully dumb. If you assign two of them to be the leader's personal bodyguards, it would be more of a challenge.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I found out about the storm trident from the WML - didn't see it. Between that and losing a netcaster, I decided to replay from start. I did a lot better job of leveling units the second time.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Excellent.
Attachments
DW-Wolf_Coast_replay.gz
(26.94 KiB) Downloaded 967 times
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

Development Team wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Challenging, 1.9.0

2, since I decided to use all of the turns to kill as many wolves as possible. I figured there wouldn't be much of a gold bonus, and I needed the experience.

Crystal

Not very interesting, though I don't know what random wolves would say to spice it up. Since this is my first playthrough, I can't say for sure, but it doesn't seem like there was anything here to progress the storyline.

None really. I did see something in the river and decided to investigate, getting the trident, but it is pretty obscure. Especially since much of the terrain features look new, that may be a bit too difficult to spot.

There's not a lot of challenge. Sit in water and gang up on wolves.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
alda

Post by alda »

difficult, 1.9.0

clear

average

Well, it's the basic 1vs1 in campaign, a good scenario to make your troops gain xp.

Nothing here.

Nope.

Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

1.9.3 (364 gold)

Clear

Good

Aside from the slight fear of night time, Nothing

None

Nope

"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
dsa

Post by dsa »

Difficult, 1.9.3

5, I had a bit more gold than the enemy, so finishing was no real problem, that's why it was mainly about leveling up units.

Clear

I didn't understand, what feast the goblin knight meant, that he wanted to get before the wolves. Besides, as wolves live in packs, I would expect more than two lonely wolves.

Finding the balance between recruiting enough units and saving some money.

7, it is okay as a level-up scenario and preparation for the next one.

Two or three more wolves, so they feel less superfluous.

No.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Easy, 1.9.4
3. Just straightforward fighting.
Fine.
I'd swap the messages of the two wolf riders. Atm it seems to be illogical, since first he says 'hope the wolves don't get to the feast' and after it, he's recognizing that there is a feast.
Swap the two messages.
(8)Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I guess the dialog is confusing people, so I changed it to make it more clear. (I meant the feast the wolves were smelling because of the sack of Jotha, but I didn't say so. It was obvious enough in my head!)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.8, top difficulty, no reloads

moderately, a solid "6".

clear

I like they are clear and not excessive, so I can quickly get the idea whats going on

Overall, one of the biggest challenges for me is to force myself to take defensive stance at night (or day for chaotic army). I think I've done it well on this map, so everything went smoothly. Probably, I could recruit less units, it would have been tougher but I had a gold bonus for the next map.

Also, I'm so tired of telling to myself "ok, I'm focused and thinking through every move from now on", but again and again getting an unexpected results of a particular move. This time I had two close calls while retrieving the thunder trident, both unnecessary, but lucky for me :)

not exciting, but I like it a lot

can't think of any
Attachments
DW-Wolf_Coast_replay.gz
(23.31 KiB) Downloaded 899 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Warrior (Challenging), 1.9.9

Very clear.

Ok.

Economy. (I overrecruited a little.)

Retreat at night and stick to good terrain even when facing a not so strong opponent. (Merfolk are so different from elves and dwarves and mixed lawful/chaotic armies featured in other campaigns. Especially when you not yet have illumination.)

None.

Saw it earlier, but forgot to take the goodie when continuing to play after a break = restarted the scenario.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

• 1) Level, Version? Normal (100/100 gold pieces); 1.9.7
    2) Difficulty? 3
    3) Scenario Objectives? Clear.
    4) Dialogue and story? Good.
    5) Challenges? None actually
    6) Is it fun? 7 Nice, easy, but not to easy and you can grab a little something!
    7) Make it more fun? Not needed.
    8) Reload or restart? No.
    9) WML? Funny comments, pleasure to read.
    Bugs:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You're right. The units' races got changed, but nobody fixed this scenario. I'm not sure if it's affecting the game, but I'll try to get to it next week.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
BfWEthnographer

Post by BfWEthnographer »

Wesnoth 1.11.0 (svn 54249)
Level beginner

Simple and clear

--

Honestly, none. It went pretty smooth

mmhh perhaps making wolf riders more aggressive toward the water might be an improvement. As it stand now, you just need to go north on the water, keeping your army far away frmo the shore. You'll reach the enemy leader all left alone and undefended by the other wolf riders.
(or alternatively, sit would be possible to change the map adding more non-water terrain, so to force kali krell's side to cross it, and therefore be more subject to wolf riders' attacks)

no

--
Current research on sustainability of commons (also involving BfW) - ISSP
Old (unmaintained) website used for my PhD research on BfW

beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

BfWEthnographer wrote:perhaps making wolf riders more aggressive toward the water might be an improvement.
I could easily make the scenario harder, but I don't want to. It's supposed to be an easy one after the trouble you are likely to have had on the last two, and the trouble you are about to have on the next one!
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficulty: 4
Objectives: 100% clear
Dialogue: Good
Challenges: I discovered the storm thing with a unit capturing villages on land, and by that time the kai, who was the obvious choice to give it to, was up near the enemy, so i had to wait for him to swim back down and get it before killing the enemy leader.
Fun: 7
Changes: none
Reloads: none
Fate is against me.