Scenario Review: DW 3 - Wolf Coast

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Scenario Review: DW 3 - Wolf Coast

Post by beetlenaut »

Hmm. I never give that item to the kai. He has a great melee attack, and giving him the ranged attack would mean that you have to choose one or the other on each turn. I always give it to a fighter so you can use both attacks on different enemies. Not that it's a bad idea, of course.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.10.5

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6, the wolves killed some fresh recruits but helped me to level some units

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good dialogue.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Trying to level some fresh recruits.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
9, it's nice to slice through the lines of the enemy and level up your units

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Maybe guard the opponent with some wolf riders, right now, you could simply assassinate him since he is all alone in his castle.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

D-Wade wrote:Maybe guard the opponent with some wolf riders, right now, you could simply assassinate him since he is all alone in his castle.
You could do that, but it would be a much better idea to level your units. Your choice though.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

I chose to level my units. But it's just an idea.
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1.10.5 - Triton - (Nightmare) - No save/load - 80 starting gold

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

No complaints.

I had minimum starting gold, so I was only able to recall five veteran units. I didn't want to lose anybody so I had a relatively difficult time on this map. I had a quick intelligent netcaster and the AI would routinely target him with two wolf knights during the night. That usually resulted in him dieing in one round. I had to restart a few times because of that, eventually he had to sit out in favor of a level 3 unit that could function better as a blocker.

I had trouble manipulating the AI to get it to go where I wanted, so the fighter who went for the javelin often got overwhelmed by pillagers. That led to more restarts.

Overall, the level two wolf riders were quite deadly and I continuously underestimated how much damage they could do, leading to sloppy play, restarts due to lost units and a final run which features some close calls.

7. It was probably more irritating for me because I had no bonus gold. If you ran from the prior scenario and had a lot of bonus gold you could probably use this scenario to level up a bunch of level ones, which would make it more fun. I was leveling people up to level three, which isn't as fun because it means you'll be using them less in the future.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

It is fine as is. I'm guessing that it serves a purpose as a recovery or leveling scenario.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Never reloaded, 10+ restarts when key units were lost due to dual wolf knight charges into the water at night, due to bat deaths or due to pillagers swarming the fighter who went for the trident.
Attachments
DW-Wolf_Coast_replay.gz
Nightmare, no save/load
(28.37 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 Triton (difficult)

3/10

Very clear.

Not much going on this time.

Not losing any units.

Short and straightforward. Not all to challenging though. 5/10

The enemy should recruit some level 3 units.

I was dumb and lost a unit. Next time I discovered the scepter in the swamp, otherwise I would have missed it.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, starting gold? Nightmare, 1.11.15, 377 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 6.5. The Wolves and Wolf Riders seem smarter than in 1.9 - more cautious.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? It took a few tries to learn not to rush for the Storm Trident right away. I gave it to the Kai, since he is still level 1 (though ready to level.) I lost a lot of units, though noone important.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 8.
(7) Changes? I would suggest making the Wolves even more cautious. There are only two of them, and they can probably smell that there's a huge number of other wolves not far away (the Wolf Riders), so I think they would tend to be timid. They usually wade right out in the water and are slaughtered in a single turn. In the attached replay, the Wolves happened to be more cautious, and it was interesting to see them fighting the Wolf Riders later.
(8) Restarts? Just normal restarts from start, when I lost the Storm Trident. No save-reloads.
Attachments
DW-Wolf_Coast_replay.gz
(36.25 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

1.10.4, Triton/difficult, 225 starting gold

4 - turns is relatively short so you can't be too defensive.

Clear.

Fine.

The first wave of lvl 2 wolves does a ton of damage.

9 - it's fun to destroy wolves in the water.

It's fine as is.

Yes 1 restart from the beginning due to losing some high level units in the initial assault.

Strategy: Formed a line in the water and slowed the goblin knights. Gave storm trident to Kai Krellis as he is the only unit without a ranged attack (I didn't recruit a single fighter during the entire campaign since pierce is useless mostly).
sine_nomine

Post by sine_nomine »

Difficult (Triton), wesnoth 1.12.4
237 starting gold

Perfect

Great

Nothing. I shouldn't have wasted my gold on so many units.
I guess this is meant to be an easy scenario to prepare for the next one (and as a break after the last one, if you didn't take the easy way out like me).
I suppose I should have directed more exp towards gwabbo and kai rather than training a hunter but it's not a big deal.
By the way, I gave the storm trident to a warrior named Ember.

It'd be more fun if the enemy was more threatening but that would defeat the purpose.

No
Attachments
DW-Wolf_Coast_replay.gz
(37.21 KiB) Downloaded 712 times
lujo

Post by lujo »

1.12.6, highest

Clear

Not the clearest. Seems awfully random, honestly, even if not unreasonable or uncool.

Nothing objecitve wise, but trying to do anything else was a hassle.

Meh.

There's a scepter you can get, but trying to go for it invites a bunch of wolves to gang up on you. The scenario is so straightforward it made me thing I could get clever with it in some way, but every possible attempt to get clever (getting the trident early, grabbing villages, boss assassination) just caused a dogpile on something and a reload because I knew I could have avoided that dogpile with boring placement and no attempts to do anything but fight wolves with a boring line.

So, err, anything that made the level functionally work outside of a huge pitched battle vs. a load of wolves? It's not necessary but it'd be fun :D

Yep. Every time I had a unit not in a bunch with my other units it got a million wolves piling on it. I just had to reload because I knew that if I placed it differently it'd live.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Difficult, 1.14.1

Clear.

Clear, but not exactly interesting.

None.

3. It's a training scenario.

Make the storm trident more visible. I didn't even notice it and only found out about it now by reading the last review.
(Or maybe let them say they see something sparkle over there)

Making foolish mistakes.
Attachments
DW-Wolf Coast replay.gz
(23.81 KiB) Downloaded 605 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Very clear

- Good indeed. I like the idea that despite orcs being portrayed as beastly barbarians, actually do have some kind of hierarchy and decide who's worth being their citizen and who's not. Found the storm trident sticking in the swamp, gave it to merman fighter

- Trying to lure wolves into sea

- The enemy leader should be direwolf rider (lvl 3)

- No
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7, all four difficulty levels.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, lacking interest
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Those level 2 wolf riders deliver a lot of damage, you need to take care of not exposing your weaker units.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I take it that this is a deliberately easy scenario in between two difficult scenarios, so there's no use to ask for it to be harder.
Content Feedback wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
OneMisterD

Post by OneMisterD »

Wesnoth 1.14.11
Warrior, Challenging

1 if played normally, 6 if picking up the Trident.

Clear enough.

Would've been much more interesting if the Trident was a bigger deal lore wise, and that you had a cue to search for him. I noticed it halfway through my first playthrough and had to restart to go get it since I didn't have enough turns. Also, the Trident gives you a lightning attack but the dialog says it has the power of Fire.

Completing everything quick enough and getting enough gold carried over.

7, strategically it is interesting with the terrain choices along the coast. Giving you interesting places to position yourself.

The map is a bit small, which means that if you go for the trident the enemy leader's minions can easily catch up to you. This renders the neutral wolves a bit moot. It would be more fun if the map layout was designed in such a way than going for the trident meant that you had to fight a lot of neutral wolves but felt optional, with the enemy wolves only reaching you if you took too long. Right now, going for the Trident feels a bit random as I found most of my success came whether the level 2 neutral attacked me or the enemy.

As is, a few extra turns and one or two extra villages across the water would be nice.

Playing next level caused me to go back and re-do this level, I felt I needed more carry over money and level different units to really succeed during the next level.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?