The Rise of Wesnoth 5 - The Oldwood

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 5 - The Oldwood

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. hard 112a
2. 5, finally have some quality units
3. kill enemy leaders, protect tree. Clear, but I hate not being able to see the tree without putting a unit right next to him. the first time I played this scenario I never saw him and was quite surprised when I suddenly lost
4. clear and interesting enough
5. keeping the tree alive, if you don't keep tabs on it he dies REALLY easily because he's such an idiot (standing on terrain where he is hit easily, never fighting back, never running away)
6. 6, it's alright, lots of decent enemies to feed me exp!
7. other than what I said about the problems with the tree, seems fine.

Non-level 1 casualty report:
None, yay!
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Medium difficulty. Version 1.1.2a

4/10 - real easy, the Orcs spent all their money on Pillagers, who were fairly easy kills.

Fine (this is still a silly question).

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not as good as usual. Using the term "tree-friend" over and over got a bit tiresome. Also, seeing Haldric talk to someone I couldn;t see was a bit wierd. I think a 'messenger' Wose should come out of the trees near your castle so you can actually see what is talking. Finally, the explaination about the lich-with-artifact-in-temple was a bit silly.

That damn talking tree getting himself killed by Orcs I couldn't even see.

6/10 - Can't say it was anything special.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Get rid of the fog. That way you can actually see how the Woses are doing. I was just about to finish the level and suddenly "...without the Woses we can't survive...blah blah." It was annoying and kind of unfair considering that I had no idea there as any fighting going on.
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

Easy, 1.1.2a

4/10, surprisingly easy, the Wose's did exceptionally well. I lost a Knight and that was it.

Clear as usual

Even more new characters, clear and interesting.

None, though I set myself the challenge of not losing a Wose, I failed

8/10, Wose's are cool

None, It's okay... maybe every 5 turns a new Wose is born.
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium level
(2) 5-6. The enemies usually recruits pillagers that are weak in woods.
(3) Clear. Kill Orcs leaders and defend the big Wose.
(4) Nice dialog with the big Wose.
(5) Keeping big Wose alive... he doesn't attack anybody so you must give him bodyguards!
(6) 7. The Woses are an unusual allied.
(7) Orcs may not recruit all those pillagers, and big Wose MUST attack Orcs
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
Skyhunter

Post by Skyhunter »

1,3 medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) (1)

At start i build a large army, cause i thought this scenario will be harder than the previous(i mean more enemies),but those trees killed a lot of their units, and half of my units have not even set foot in battle. because i could win this with half as much units. i lost a lot of money. For a too easy map.

Clear, althought i have read some of the posts, about some Wose, whoever he is, i didn't get any new unit.

Pretty ok-

Nothing really, until my forces managed to cross the swamp, the trees fairly holded the middle, and later attacked and the map is really to easy.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 3

More houses. and more enemies!
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 3
3) Okay
4) Excellent
5) Stopping wolf riders & orc assassins from creeping past through the forest in the north; I had to divert a couple of decent units to prevent this, which left my main force in the east under-strength; without the treefolk to hide behind at night, I might have been defeated.

6) 6
7) -
8 ) start gold 578
RokStar

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Oldwood

Post by RokStar »

Hard, 1.3.2
very
very
no real challenges there...
Make a couple of wose joining the player army. It should be fun to play as a wose.
Elvish Vanquisher

Post by Elvish Vanquisher »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1. 1.2.4 meduim
2. 5
3.very
4. alright
5. the orcs killing the woses
6. 7
7. maybe letting the wose reruite better leveled up woses.
Isen

Post by Isen »

1.2.3, Hard.

Clear.

As mentioned by others, it felt a bit strange talking to a tree I could not see.

Tree died the first time round. Underestimated the ability of pillagers to decimate the ranks of woses.

7. Gave me a chance to level some Wesfolk units.

I disagree with the notion that fog should be removed, as it is an essential part of the map, but maybe reveal the tree when he challenges you or something along those lines.
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

BUG REPORT:

Lady Outlaw should be "loyal," I should think. Otherwise your income gets drained by a 3 gold right off the bat...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Rapturous

Post by Rapturous »

1.4.7. Normal.

2. Considering the campaigns are now in "intermediate" difficulty, I expect it to be as such. This scenario definitely felt like "novice" quality. The treefolk were a super big help, and the tree elder wasn't even close to threatened. I divided my team into two's, and still managed to save a sizable amount of gold.

Perfectly.

The dialogue was okay. The treefolk were a little interesting, but this was nothing new. The "trees vs mammals" conflict is tired. That aside, the words weren't all that great, but I did find the small comedy about the dwarven companion a little funny.

None. See above.

By BfW standards, I'd say this was a 4. At times, I was actually kinda miffed at how much the trees were doing for me. Not that I was upset that they were taking my hard-earned experience fodder (which I was upset about), but I was more upset at the fact that it almost felt like I was secondary. In truth, the trees did get some lucky rolls, but nothing absurd. I think the AI helps too much in this scenario, and there should probably be fewer tree allies, which leads me to the next section...

Too many times, especially in the previous campaign involving the peasants, the AI does so much unjustified work. It's unjustifiable, even! I understand in many games with AI partners, the AI is usually worthless. BfW has outstandingly smart AI, and that's not really the problem. They're just heavy handed. Either code the AI so they don't help as much, or simply reduce the amount of help the CPU team is giving you. Or make the enemies harder. Anything. Some scenarios definitely need CPU help, and it's welcomed, but other times--it's too heavy-handed.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hard 1.6.0

Came in with 436 gold

4- Not too difficult with a couple of cannon fodder units for the east fight.

Pretty clear. Although having to protect a unit that I don’t know the location tripped me up a bit.

All right. Nothing remarkable. I think, though, that it would make things interesting if for once there was a race of people like trees, but without this whole "protect the trees" mentality. They are separate species, after all.

I also thought it fairly odd that the Lady Outlaw was one of the ones in the Swamp worrying about how quiet it was, but seems perfectly fine with the spooky silent forest (I assume that it is silent if Haldric makes such a big deal about hearing something)

Holding back the eastern horde at night; the woses were no help at all, and there was no good terrain for Burin. I ended up using some cannon fodder footpads and thugs (I would have tried to save a thug if I’d gotten a quick one. But as I didn’t, I just fed them all to the wolves).

6- Still somewhat fun, but coming right on top of the Swamp meant that I was doing two foggy scenarios in a row, and I’m not particularly fond of fog. Also, the terrain in this scenario is rather boring; being somewhat uniform throughout (at least where the majority of the fighting takes place.

I think it would be really cool if you could at least get a loyal quick wose sapling to go with you. But I suppose that that wouldn’t be too thematic. Still, you rarely have woses show up in a campaign, and I think it would be cool to actually have one.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

1. What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
    medium, 1.7.11, w/Lady Outlaw
    medium, 1.4.x, w/Lady Outlaw
  2. How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
  3. How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
    quite.
    easy and medium could hint that advancing units to veteran is important for later.
  4. How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
    good.
    if at the end there arent sufficiently advanced thug, dwarf, or infantry units
    the scenario should make going down for the artifact optional,
    otherwse it requires a restart at this or previous scenario.
  5. What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
    patience with moving units forward that are not well supported.
    had no problems with the undead or scorpions.
    anyone who did not have the Outlaws on their side would be in trouble here.
  6. How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
    a bit long near the end waiting for units to get into position to finish off the 2 southern orc leaders.
  7. What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
    shorter map in the north-south direction.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.4, Commander (Normal) with the Outlaws

4 – when reading the wiki it seemed harder than it actually is

Clear

Good.

Avoiding losses and killing the Blue leader with a Spearman that would die if hit once by the leader while the Spearman himself needed two hits on the leader to kill him.

No changes – it is fine as it is – at least on normal difficulty, if you have the outlaws on your side.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
My carelessness combined with bad luck resulted in Haldric’s death once.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...