Scenario Review: Liberty 8 - Glory

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taptap

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 8 - Glory

Post by taptap »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

"Senior Village Elder" aka Fugitive (Difficult), 1.9.9

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

8 - 274 gold (I could recruit thieves and rogue mages, no heliocrom, no gold.)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I liked it very much.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

I needed a restart, in the first run I was down to newly recruited thieves and footpads and didn't get the NE corner yet.

I am hopelessly outnumbered and lacking punching power (Huntsmen are very nice, but when you face mostly pikemen quite useless, but after a lucky necromancer two scenarios earlier I had not much "Village Elders" left), and felt like I can't let the Elensefar riders waste themselves for nothing, so tried to do something early. I got the NW tower when a lancer pushed through there, killed some units to go to SW and SE, for NE I positioned a rogue, a shadow lord and a huntsmen so that if any one of them survives they can get to the tower - the shadow lord took 3/4 on 60% barely survived and finished the scenario. In the final turn all my remaining veterans but a bandit and Harper got killed.

Maybe there is a cleaner way to play relying more on thieves and especially rogue skirmishing abilities. I levelled one thief in the previous scenario, but that wasn't enough for a less casualty play.

I believe I took the worst choice - 500 gold or an additional ally might have been way more useful, the choices aren't really equal - please think of this when balancing the scenario. But I can never resist the possibility to recruit new units. I didn't found the rogue mages as bad as others, magic melee attack, and as L3 a ranged attack similar to a dark sorcerer + ranged impact (they would be less pathetic against undead if the L2 have a similar impact magic attack, even if weak). The main ability is however leadership - your only leadership unit in the campaign, but the fight was too messy for me to really profit from that.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

9 - Even if quite suicidal. It felt a bit similar to the dwarvish idea of blowing up the vulcano in SoF. I had barely any (experienced) survivors.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

No idea.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Yes, 1 restart from turn 1.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

(1) - easy (peasant), 1.10.0
(2) - 2, but that's probably because I chose to let Helicrom help me in the battle. I played this campaign in previous versions trying the other rewards and it was much harder. This time I didn't even reload (and I abuse this function a lot otherwise)!
(3) - Mostly clear, because I played it before, however, the first time I was surprised that the fortress didn't fall immediatly. Also, why can Harper be killed this time without game over?
(4) - this campaign is one of my favorites and a huge stronghold falling into an abyss is a very memorable ending.
(5) - this time none, even without cheating. The enemy was trapped between three armies (orcs, Helicrom, Elensefar) leaving the towers easy to infiltrate (I captured two before the Wesnoth reinforcements arrived)
(6) - 4, my units killed a mere one enemy unit, the rest was slaughtered by my allies. When the fortress falls it's said that nobody inside could survive it, but this time there was nobody alive even before :twisted:
(7) - None, I belive I was just lucky this time
(8) - I normally save/load whenever any of my units (or at least those loyal or leveled up) dies. However, for reasons stated above I didn't need to cheat this time, as the enemy was trampled under hooves (and feet) of my allies.
(9) - Seems fine
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Played on Outlaw (Normal), 1.10.1 from SVN.

4. I finished on turn 9, much earlier than I thought I would. I split my forces into two groups, one coming in from the west, hiding out in the forests. Another group consisted of Baldras and a bunch of Highwaymen and other L2's. They waited for the enemy to come out south of Halstead. It never happened though, so they didn't get any action. Satisfyingly, I beat this using around only half of my force, the western one (mostly footpads and stuff).

To also make this easier, I will say that I used "Instruct Ally" on Helicrom. I set his behavior to defensive, and protect Baldras, who was south of Halstead. This was so that they didn't kill the orcs, who surprisingly, occupied a lot of the Wesnothian force.

Clear, topple down Halstead.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was great. I especially liked the part in the Epilogue where the Elense warriors used the scare tactics to demoralize Asheviere's forces. I think that was really cool.

None.

8. If it lasted longer, and I got an opportunity to use the other half of my army, I'd probably rate it higher. It was probably meant for those playing on the hardest difficulty. It was still fun though, I liked it.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Nothing major, it was great as it is. However, I got the "I think they're meaning to storm the fortress!" line when a Dragoon attacked my fugitive who was chilling in the forest. Perhaps you could add an "if" statement to that so it only triggers when they're actually in or around the fortress?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A.
ShadowDancer

Post by ShadowDancer »

Medium, 1.10.2

4 - It's easy to send a couple of the sneaky guys into the enemy base and blow it up after some rounds.

Quite clear.

Clear enough, very interesting.

The awesomeness of this scenario almost made me pass out a couple of times. On a more serious note, this scenario is too easy to complete, I found no real challenges in it.

10/10. Gameplay-wise, 7/10, but the fortress falling the abyss in the end, the lancers unexpectedly arriving from the northwest and the objectives made the whole experience much better.

I would make it a bit more difficult and more slow-paced. I was able to finish it in half of the turns without any problems. This should not happen, at least not on a final scenario.

Nope.
quincy

Post by quincy »

Easy. 1.10.3
Clear.
It was fine, but when you go into a trapdoor, have the units turn end. One unit took out two in a turn, and the text still said "an hour later"
none.
none
no
Zlob

Post by Zlob »

Now, this was a decent scenario :lol2:
--- Fugitive(difficult), 1.10.1
6-10. Firstly I accepted gold from Helicrom and spent everything in the Hunters so I had no additional assistance. I recalled all outlaws, highwaymen, huntsmen, bandits I had and rushed forward to take all nearby villages. As I was doing so, paladins from Elensefar arrived and orcs kept doing decent job. Then "another element from Wesnoth army arrived" and killed my orcs :doh: I guess waiting for paladins to clear gates was not good idea too, because they quickly got slaughtered and all asistance I got was Lord Maddock's son and Vashna (orc leader), who were not willing to leave their camps. :annoyed: Then I stormed the castle and that was total fail and I got out with just Baldras (Harper died too). :augh: So this was difficulty 10. Get back to Gray Woods scenario for help. Second attempt was with Helicrom on the battlefield. We stormed fortress together, my troops got in and I won :shock: Wasn't as hard as earlier. ^_^
--- Clear.
--- Again, I find characters too idle. Orcs should be yelling about how delicious meat they will give to their wolves today, leader of Halstead should be talking about how its walls are invincible etc. Storyline was nice, though. The feeling that everything depends on this battle... Yay :D
--- Soldiers bonkering every entrance so that my outlaws could not sneak inside. How about they run after orcs or paladins and leave citadel thinly guarded? :P
--- 9. Thinking about how to get into the fortress when I had no chance to do so was cool. :lol2:
--- I would make orcs a bit stronger, so that they can send out two attacks or just last longer. I would make Helicrom's 500 gold appear in this scenario, not in The Hunters.
--- As I said, my ally got crushed and then my army was destroyed. With Helicrom's help it got much easier.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
--- Well...
Now, who cares for lost elite units, this was last scenario :lol2: I would plan a decent strategy if I really had to.
Attachments
Liberty-Glory_replay.gz
(50.13 KiB) Downloaded 829 times
The_Afterman

Post by The_Afterman »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Easy
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 6
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? 10
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? 7, loved when reinforcements came. Like Rohan's charge in LOTR. Seemed a bit out of place for a ragtag group of bandits to be leading the charge in an epic battle scene, and taking down a giant castle. But k.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Spamming enough guys to win.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 6
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
8 - as the walkthrough puts it, "The only genuinely difficult puzzle in Liberty"
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Confusing. Before the battle, the sudden appearance of the orcs is quite unexplained. After the battle, the script treats us to a sad aftermath. Baldras' men are said to be affected by the fortress' destruction - wait, because of their success? Nonsense. Furthermore, in a sad ending, the protagonists find their villages burned down. Why was that? The very last image before the word "End" is an image of Baldras next to an orcish lord. What does that mean?
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Well, the level 2 and level 3 units from the enemy are quite tough to beat, specially when they hold and advantageous position.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
-
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 Fugitive (difficult) – no reloads

This isn't a campaign where you are going to play many scenarios with minimum gold. In fact you can build up quite a fortune, if you want to. And the difficulty of the final scenario depends a lot on the size of your bank. And whether you took Helicrom's money, men or help.

I opted for recruiting rogue mages (worst choice by a large margin), started with 289 gold (not much). Under this circumstances I would rate it as 8/10.

There was a moment of uncertainty after I cleared the last tower, but it soon became clear what was going to happen.

Good. Especially the epilogue. Happy endings are so overrated. The theme of the campaign was great.

Carefully whittling down the loyalists without being stomped into the ground. It's pretty tough to take a choke point held by royal guards with heavy healer support.

8/10 Great idea. Nice chaotic, final fight. With around 800 starting cash it might have been a little bit too easy though. AI behavior is odd. Against you the loyalists are behaving pretty smart: they never leave their save spots, are always backed up by healers, you really need to storm the castle, which is good. Against other AIs it's behaving very dumb: Dommel immediately charges out of his castle and gets swarmed and killed by trolls around turn 4, half his army follows him. After they smashed the weak orc forces they just camp outside the eastern gate and don't move back inside to stop you.

Well, there are quite a few changes I would made to the scenario and the campaign in general.

1.) Balance the rewards of you can get after “6 - The Gray Woods”, getting 500 gold is just way too much, that is almost 18 additional Outlaws you could recruit for the final scenario, probably enough to brute force your way into the castle without using any tactics whatsoever.

2.) I really like the idea of the rogue mage unit, fighter mage hybrid, lacking in fire power but mobile and versatile. I am so glad that someone implemented it. However, here, in Liberty, they just suck hard. There is no incentive to get them, they don't counter anything, they serve no purpose in your army. They aren't even that good against Heavy Infantry. Either give them a tad more damage or lower damage and raise terrain resistances. It's just a waste to design a whole unit line if it's so utterly useless.

3.) This is related to both 1.) and 2.) After “Gray Woods” you might chose to recruit thieves and rogue mages. Both could be useful and I was longing for thieves during the whole campaign. But there is only one more short scenario to level them up before the final fight – not going to work. Just one or two additional scenarios could really spice up your unit composition and better the campaign. Or make thieves recruitable from the very beginning of Liberty.

Took me three attempts. I always tried to make brute force work, but without a huge army it's better to take your time and let the orcs and knights do some damage before you commit.
paul_ik

Post by paul_ik »

1.10.2, Fugitive (Difficult)

9, I would not enjoy scenario which is even more difficult.
Haven't read any guides or suggestions on strategy/tactics.
Started with 200 gold, Helicrom's forces helping.
Took me 2-3 attempts with wrong strategy (tried to take all vilages for a long-term winning, then tried cutting of reinforcements).
With 200 gold I was only able to recruit 12 units (3 Highwayman (3lvl) + baldras, 2 Fugitive (3lvl), 1 ranger (3lvl), 1 outlaw Harper, 4 Footpads).
So tried full commit to attack right from the start, this took additional 3 attempts.
Usually playing with no reloads, on the final attempt I just needed my footpad staying on 70% tile to survive attack of single shock trooper (91% probability event), which was failed and it was too annoying - I reload the turn and finished the scenario.

Very clear

Pretty clear, but some weak points: Harper death so plain ("ok, goodbye Harper") after all the scenarios where we had to keep him alive, orcs appearance and disappearance described poorly, reinforcements behaving as if attack on Halstead was a known thing for Queen.

Find the path between Halstead defenders to reach towers

7. Great battle with different forces, but some moments spoiling the action: orcs and Helicrom's forces attacking each other, general Dommel's occasional stupid death because he likes fighting too much. Also the scenario feels too random. Whether you can reach the towers depends on some minor factors of enemy forces positions and allies/orcs actions.

Try to position Helicrom to avoid clash with orcs.

The loss of footpad that was saved for last tower. Apart from that the gameplay goes smoothly.
vanatteveldt

Post by vanatteveldt »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1) Hard, 1.10.4
2) Very challenging, probably a 9. I had only 289 gold, so that caused a lot of trouble. I probably overrecruited in the earlier missions as they felt a bit too easy.
3) Clear
4) Fine. I like the little dialogue when Harper dies
5) Lots of level 3 units between me and the objectives :-)
6) 9. Very good dramatic campaign finale. Much better than the almost trivial final battle of HttT
7) None, it's fine as it is.
8) Yes! The first time I tried it I stormed the southern gate of the castle. I came in and broke the southwest and southeast towers but was completely outnumbered and got cornered and slaughtered.

The second try, I read the wiki and decided to sneak to the west gate. They kept that well garrisoned though, so I sent the bulk of my army (mostly outlaws and fugitives) to the north gate, which was left open. Badras and 4 units or so stayed west to keep the western garrison pinned down; in the end one outlaw managed to sneak through and take the tower, which was nice; I retreated Badras and was glad I did because of the delay. The northern army had no problem destroying the two northern towers although I got a bit lucky killing an archer that was standing on the hatch. After that, they made a run to the last (southeast) tower, which was difficult because there was still one unit of the northeast garrison left, the loyalist leader was in the keep, and the reinforcements had reached the eastern gate. Three outlaws made it south but couldn't reach the hatch. They killed two of them but the third survived and blew up the castle, after which he was promptly executed. At that time, Badras was my only unit left, so it felt quite epic. (although I had 2 or 3 units that were healing / waiting for a gap to sneak in that I suicided in the turn before the last one in the hope of diverting some units.

In retrospect I think I would have done better with 500 gold than with the suicide commandos from Helcior (or whatever his name was), and I guess I could have had a lot more money by now from the other reactions.

Nice mission, very epic, very fun!
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

1.10.7 Difficult

Clear.

This was a rather interesting set up for a final battle, works well thematically as a way for the outlaws to score a major victory, and brings back most of the factions seen in the campaign. The only complaint I have is that the ending is a bit of a downer if you played HttT and remember that the Three Sisters island was where the level The Isle of the Dammned takes place, and completely changes the tone of the ending from a bitter-sweet to down right depressing. The idea of throwing in a callback to an earlier campaign is fine, but a callback that completely changes the mood if you recognize it doesn't seem to be the best idea.

The enemy was overwhelming powerful, and despite having 3 allies (I'm counting the orcs as allies since they do far more damage to the defenders of the fortress then to the sides I'm actually allied with) I found that making a conventional assault was all but impossible. (And that attempt was with a fantastic piece of luck where the enemy general ran out of the fortress and was killed on turn 4 or 5ish preventing him from recruiting any more troops). Ultimately the solution was to spread my forces around the edge of the fort, recall some quick footpads and position them just close enough so that when a path opened up they could reach the trapdoors in one turn, and then wait either for my allies to lure the enemies away, or if need by very carefully lure the enemies out myself, making sure I don't lure out enough troops to overwhelm my very scattered forces. A very guerrilla war esque strategy and pretty fitting for leading a band of outlaws.

8. It''s an unconventional scenario, that forces you to adopt unconventional tactics and really fight like a band of outlaws instead of the normal type of army you command in this game.

It's good as it is.

I tried to actually bash my way into the fortress. It didn't work at all.
fareley

Post by fareley »

1.12.0 Hard no reloads

2 - I remembered this scenario to be difficult. Was severely disappointed when I could just waltz right in, kill the inhabitants of the fortress and when I was about to completely take control over it my ally accidentally stepped on the last tower spot, depriving me of all the fun of keeping the fortress to myself and forcing an evacuation. Did not even attempt to preserve my leveled units, wasted some standing in the daylight at the gates (shoulda at least used the river) and when I made it in I suicided a lot as well.
Also I suicided Harper on the first chance given just to annoy the enemy (well, I didn't really expect to take that many hits on 70% defense), then saw it was Harper, then realized that he wasn't important to survive anyway and carried on. Also he talked way too much. Still finished on turn 13. Maybe I just had too many veterans to recall and the money to do so? This was very very weird.

I did the scenario quite a few times already over the past years, so I was familiar with sneaking in and doing the dirty deed of destroying towers.

Not sure if Harpers death could be a bit more dramatic. Or important to anything.

Surprisingly there was no challenge.

7 - it is a very unique level and if you can't walk in and kill everything (especially when gold- and unit-starved) it is a nice puzzle :)

I don't know, just running in to destroy the castle when infinite enemies spawn doesn't feel right. Also a 40 turn limit is weird, given the Elensefar Riders and the Orcs seem to not recruit much at all.
Also how about making the platoon the same things as the platoon you destroyed in a previous mission? Why are there archers and a Lieutenant?

Nope

Attachments
Liberty-Glory_replay.gz
(64.29 KiB) Downloaded 780 times
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

1.13.6 normal

very

good
nice ending.

getting through the allies to the door

orc taunts
cheers from Halstead when reinforcements come
close the castle doors

no

saw the following text on stderr when done, dont know if from this or previous scenario:
20161113 17:28:21 error ai/actions: Error #2007 (move_result::E_NOT_REACHED_DESTINATION) in full move by side 2 from location 26,19 to location 24,19
20161113 17:56:20 error ai/actions: Error #2007 (move_result::E_NOT_REACHED_DESTINATION) in full move by side 2 from location 16,13 to location 14,15
20161113 18:40:27 error ai/actions: Error #2007 (move_result::E_NOT_REACHED_DESTINATION) in full move by side 2 from location 12,6 to location 10,4
also, after the fortress was destroyed, there was a strange popup that said "Starting game" which went away after a few seconds.
Attachments
Liberty-Glory_replay.gz
(48.81 KiB) Downloaded 672 times
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

An interesting scenario,
Medium, 1.13.10

Clear, except that I was expecting the four units that reached the trapdoors to be removed from the map.

Jozrael wrote:Yes, actually, since Harper was no longer required I didn't realize I was risking him without the little crowny thing, and reloaded the turn <.<
I've just done the same. Although he's a loyal unit, once the silver crown is removed he doesn't have any overlay on him.
Easy to fix, but it's too late in the evening to create a pull request tonight.

Code: Select all

--- a/data/campaigns/Liberty/scenarios/08_Glory.cfg
+++ b/data/campaigns/Liberty/scenarios/08_Glory.cfg
@@ -428,6 +428,12 @@

{UNMAKE_HERO Harper}

+        # He's still a loyal unit with dialogue when he dies
+        [unit_overlay]
+            id=Harper
+            image=misc/loyal-icon.png
+        [/unit_overlay]
+
         [message]
             speaker=Baldras
             message= _ "There it is. The stronghold of Halstead."
Currently updating the SurvivalXtreme Collection, and the SXC Pressure scenario. That's about a mermish necromancer, who's just found out that her Tentacles Of The Deep have been nerfed.