Scenario Review: Liberty 4 - Unlawful Orders

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: Liberty 4 - Unlawful Orders

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Jozrael

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 4 - Unlawful Orders

Post by Jozrael »

Hard
Clear
This one is a winner. Love this one. Perhaps some speech from the opposing army during the changes. Its very PotCesque.
Well, originally I wanted to camp my side of the river and let them come to me, but I found myself more successful in charging the other side to setup a line to fight them on. I preferred fighting them during the day, the ghouls were nasty :x. But fun =)

Excellent scenario.
Last edited by Jozrael on September 2nd, 2008, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) Hard
(2) 6
(3) Clear
(4) Very interesting, especially the transformation of the units depending on the time of day is a very good idea.
(5) Nothing
(6) 8
(7) Nothing
(8) I restarted once, after I found out, that I would also have to fight undead. Because at first, when I saw the human units, I recruited poachers only, but after the humans turned into undead, I realized, that this was a wrong decision.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.4.6

2. Impact oriented units versus undead? Please.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear and very nicely done, the Lord is maybe a bit too level with the vassal, but still conveys the notion of a peasant seeking aid from their lord (and a noble one at that). Great setup with how he protests being unable to help given his position, given the circumstances later in the game. Makes for a nice surprise. (Well not if you have played this as many times as I have. But still.)

None.

9. I love the change from undead to human to undead. Makes this scenario unique and interesting.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Love it as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Good, noted down the bit on changing the units, a very nice touch.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

medium, 1.7.3

- not wasting gold recruiting too many units
- deciding whether to confiscate allied villages
- promoting units safely

4. the city never seems to be in any danger.

- have some of the Queen's agents already in the city, e.g. a faction of the soldiers or the mages.

no
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

Medium 1.8.0

3. Unfortunately too easy because the scenario had potential of becoming really memorable

Very.

Clear and very nicely done. It underline the hopeless situation of the outlaws, because Maddock refuses to help them out. Of course it was clear (at least to me) that in the end he will help out, but in the immediate situation You cant help but feeling sorry for the outlaws. And it is fun that the Lord himself points out the location of another outlaws that could help.

None.

7. The idea of the changing between human form and undead form had potential (not to forget the fact that so the enemy units always had the +25% damage bonus) and is a fun idea, but the whole scenario is way too easy. I never felt threatened nor was in need to retreat or similar things...

Make it harder

No
shadowhawke

Post by shadowhawke »

1. Normal 1.9.0
2. 4
3. Perfect
4. It was interesting character development for Maddock. Also, the human to undead switch is AWESOME!
5. Recruiting poachers then realising the enemy turns into undead...
6. 7 - simple but interesting skirmish
7. None
8. This actually made me win, but... anyway, when the enemies become undead they all vanished - including the leader! Why does this happen?
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Normal, 1.9.3 (425 gold)

Cleeeeear

Great

None, Just avoid the loyalists. And smash the undead with clubs!

7, I like the whole "baddies turning undead at night, And back to living people in the day" :)

Possibly make the enemy unit's health regenerate when they transform.

8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?\
1.6, Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
7 (if Glory is 10)

Kill them!

Really great. Maddock acts exactly the way you expect a virtuous lord to act towards peasants. You really feel for the outlaws, and understand Maddock's perspective.

Getting the hang of the night/day transformations. Obviously the first switch got me, but I wasn't sure whether they would keep changing back and forth.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
8 - the cursed army PLUS a modified Elensefar board that we all know and love from "Siege of Elensefar". There's something really fun about seeing the same location used in different campaigns.

None

No
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, Hard, no reloads, 295gp

probably "2". It's easy when you have enough money, I spent around 200 mostly on thugs (and a few footpads for exp) and just crushed the enemies. Finished on turn 12

"8", very good

I think more gold should be given to the enemy. I tried with 360gp, and it was much tougher because you have time restriction. Lost once b/c all my 5 guys who surrounded the leader on the last turn have not killed him. I think 320gp will be great for "Hard" difficulty
taptap

Post by taptap »

1.9.9, "Senior Village Elder" (why is it called Fugitive?) - Difficult

3 - This is highest difficulty but this scenario is ridiculously easy - if it were not for the time limit, it seems the main difference between the different difficulties is the time limit in this campaign. I had as much money as the opponent + an (useless) ally + better access to villages + cheaper units + recalls.

Quite clear.

Very nice. It would be better if the opponent wouldn't recruit Dark Adepts. This gives away what is supposed to be the surprise.

Not wasting money. Time limit. Making trappers.

7 - potentially 9.

Make the surprise work (no dark adepts, or disguise them as mages or don't recruit them at all). Make the enemy stronger, but give a little more time then. Maybe add some L2 units to the opponent.

No.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

Lord Maddock states "...unless you want me to round up the cities thieves to fight for you." It might be interesting to offer Thieves as a unit option from the next scenario onwards.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Outlaw (Normal) on 1.10.1

5. I've got plenty of gold against these level 1 units. Plus, bones shatter easily from the blunt weapons of my troops.

Clear, kill the bad guys.

The monologue after killing the enemy leader seems like a bit of an ass-pull. In addition to that, no-one even comments on his little story afterwards, just kinda shrugging it off. Are they not at all surprised that Asheviere's using some scary black-magic necromancy stuff to force traitors to serve after their deaths? Oh well, at least Lord Maddock seems to be slightly concerned by this.

The magical attacks from Dark Adepts can kill units from the Footpad line pretty easily, almost let Harper die.

5. Most of the terrain is plains, which makes sense given that it's in Elensefar, but nothing to make it stand out. The whole "they're actually dead" business doesn't count.

Add more hills hostile terrain near the enemy's keep. Give him some bodyguards too that appear after their first transformation in the night.

None

N/A
Zlob

Post by Zlob »

--- Fugitive(difficult), 1.10.1
--- 7. Enemy had advantage at almost every time of day.
--- Clear.
--- Nice story with those knights accursed for treason. I really liked it.
--- There were no major challanges if I remember well. I won at first attempt. :hmm:
--- Perhaps make Lord Maddock round up those thieves as he said. Would be nice if I could backstab dark sorcerers and lich in Grey Woods :twisted:
--- Nope :)
--- This again? ^_^
Attachments
Liberty-Unlawful_Orders_replay.gz
(28.38 KiB) Downloaded 772 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The undead damn is a nice turn.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
I would say venom creatures, but don't really think so - the enemy it's nicely leveled.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
-
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
-
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-