Scenario Review: Liberty 3 - A Strategy of Hope

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: Liberty 3 - A Strategy of Hope

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Jozrael

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 3 - A Strategy of Hope

Post by Jozrael »

Hard
Clear
There should be more late game dialog, it seems to only be concentrated in the beginning. Come to think of it sprinkling this throughout the campaign would be a great help.
I had slightly too much money coming in; there was never a squeeze, but I had quite a bit leaving. You might want to increase the unit count for both sides a bit, but especially the top left (and they don't all have to be level 2s).
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.4.6

6. Only that high because your "ally" is worthless. He spent more time chasing villages then killing saurians, so I had to wipe out the orcs and go back across to kill the bloody lizards.

Crystal. Kill 'em all.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good, helps to support their "turning" into outlaws as a necessity, but I agree with what is above me, it could use a bit of a better wrap up at the end.

None really, though it would be nice if the ally functioned as an ally.

Still a 7, the map is interesting to play, terrain is advantageous, and another map in which ZoC (at least against the orcs) can be used to high effectiveness.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Beating a dead horse, but make the ally actually function as such.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Good as it is.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
DoctorJ

Post by DoctorJ »

1] Easy & 1.6.4
2] 8
3] crystal clear
4] good
5] crossing the river; unlike some other postings i had no trouble with the allies. They actually cleared out the last Saurian while i was still softening up the Orc leader.
6] 8
7] none
8] no
9] -
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

medium, 1.7.3

4. quickly became clear i would win, caught myself plotting to take my ally's villages :o

6. good initially, but no events to renew interest or raise stakes during play.

- promoting units safely (personal goal)
- deciding when to send Baldur off to fight instead of recruiting
- grabbing lots of villages

6. terrain and two opponent types is a nice challenge.

- make allied leader neutral until you discover the make of the raiders weapons
- have the allied leader object if you take one of his villages, make him neutral after 2, hostile after 3
- the south-west and north-east areas were unused. the map could be shrunk a bit, or alternatively, make the player visit other peasant villages in those areas to round up converts. and dont allow recruitment but do allow recall in the start village.

no
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

Medium, 1.8.0

5. In my case the ally actually was quite competent and defeated the saurians single handedly. After just 2 rounds i saw how much units he sent against them and it was clear that he is able to defeat them or at least stop them long enough to give me enough time to defeat the orcs. I ditn't really pay much attention on what my ally did, but about at the time I finally broke through the orcish lines he defeated the saurians.

Couldn't be clearer

The dialog is good, but I have to agree with my fellow pre-posters, it would be better if spread throughout the scenario

To get rid of the orcish riders which were fast enough to cross the swampy area before I could form the defense line

7. It was fun to lure the enemy into the swamp and then crushing him

None

No
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I have, by the way, played this campaign about 2 years before, so this might be biased towards a veteran or something. I find your average campaign (even novice ones) on Medium difficulty completely impossible though.

1. 1.9.1, Easy
2. 1
3. Very
4. Very
5. None
6. 4 (nice scenario, as you'd expect, but no challenge)
7. Make the saurian leader tough enough for you to actually need to back up your ally. Also, perhaps give the orcish leader a crossbowman or two? At the moment he's a walkover if you kill them off in the swamp. It took me until turn 8 to kill the orc and my ally turn 11 to kill the saurian, out of 35 turns...
8. No

EDIT: Here's a replay to back me up.
Liberty-A_Strategy_of_Hope_replay.gz
(24.32 KiB) Downloaded 907 times
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Normal, 1.9.3 (248 gold)

Clear

Good

None, Except a few wolf riders that thought they could go around me and grab my villages.

Good as is.

Nope

There's suppose to be a adviser, But he didn't appear. (I think it chose Harper) But anyway, He doesn't say anything because there's 'speaker' where there should be 'role'
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

1.6, Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
4 (if Glory is 10)

Kill them!

Good stuff. Logical and nice to see camaraderie,

Nothing out of the ordinary.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
5 - it's not bad, it's just a little easy and suffers from the unfortunate comparison to the excellent later scenarios

Make the map a bit smaller. Make the ally smarter.

No
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, Hard, no reloads, 172gp

"6" as is, "5" if p.7 is implemented
Enemies start with 160gp for Saurians, and 260gp for Orcs. Your ally has just 60gp, so you are about 1:2 on moneys combined. This is good by itself.

The problem is Relana buys one 2nd-level outlaw, then a 1st-level thug, and sends all this "army" straight to saurians (it's dictated by map rules). This means they mostly ignore terrain, just rush blindly till slaughtered by several 2nd level units. Thats very bad. Basically you have to deal with both enemies on your own, which becomes both tricky and frustrating.

I recruit a pack of 1st-level shooters boosted by one recalled 2nd level thug, this group deals with orcs on a forested/swampy terrain. Another group of 3 thugs and Harper aids Relana in her battle.

6 losses/25 kills, finished on turn 19 out of 25.

Looks good

Finding a defence line and dealing with lots of orcs, avoiding death of my Hero and his 2nd level thug-companion.

Nothing special, just find everything is good enough. Relana's default behaviour is quite annoying.

Not many. Restrict Relana to recruiting only 1st level "thug-peasants". This way she's able to buy a few of them quickly, and they stand against saurians quite well, especially if you send 3 thugs to assist her.
Again, with 60gp and saurians' strong defence it's a huge mistake on her side to recruit other than 1st level thugs.

Attached is a replay on modified map, I changed it as per p.7
Attachments
(33.13 KiB) Downloaded 846 times
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? 1.9.8, hard, no save load
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 6
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Two opponents at once. The AI ally has a tendency to get her troops wiped out, although in my final run she did a better than average job of distracting the Saurian. Still, I ended up having to use most of the turns available in order to kill the second AI leader.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 7. It's well done, but scenarios with an emphasis on AI allies have to lose a point.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Yes. I had to retry several times to figure out the best way to deal with the orcs efficiently, ultimately I had to accept that it was going to be a bit of a meat grinder. I might have won on my earlier runs but they were even bloodier than my final run.
Attachments
1.9.8, hard, no save load
(43.71 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Played on Outlaw (Normal), on 1.10.1 from SVN.

4. It looks pretty intimidating when you see the quantity that the orc recruits, but if you form a line along the river/swamps, they go down pretty quickly.

Clear.

It was alright. I did like the bit between the orc and saurian leaders. It seemed a bit less "dynamic" than the previous two scenarios, however.

Feeding Baldras and Harper experience without killing them.

5. Just like the previous scenario, I liked being able to use poachers effectively some more. Given their increased evasion on swamp and forest terrains, it was a bit cooler to retaliate with such an underrated unit. Other than that, it was pretty normal.

None.

I restarted from the beginning once when I threw Harper in too deep, getting him swamped by Wolf Riders, archers, and the leader.

N/A
Zlob

Post by Zlob »

--- Fugitive(difficult), 1.10.1
--- 8. I was playing late in night so I wasn't thinking much. :doh:
--- Very clear.
--- Nice as always.
--- Killing saurian in time. :lol2:
--- I am conservatist. Let's keep this unchanged.
--- Nope. But I feel that I could restart the scenario to get more cash for next one. :P
--- Still no knowledge about WML :augh:
Attachments
(39.79 KiB) Downloaded 843 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
-
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The orcs are quite a challenge, but I got some units on level 2 already, so it was easy to beat them. After that, the saurians were cheese.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More difficulty.
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Content Feedback wrote:(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 Fugitive (difficult) – no reloads

4/10

Clear.

Good.

At the beginning the scenario looked harder than it actually was. My ally exterminated the saurians on their own. Feeding kills to the right units was the main challenge.

6/10 Nothing special, decent 2v2 action. At least 40% of the area was irrelevant, but I really liked the design of the map. Well done!

Maybe a little bit more gold for the orc leader.

No.