Scenario Review: Liberty 2 - Civil Disobedience

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: Liberty 2 - Civil Disobedience

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Unnheulu

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 2 - Civil Disobedience

Post by Unnheulu »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Mediam
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 5
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Very clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Clear, and very interesting, I would return to this level alone
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Optimizing my ally to actually help me
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 10
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? A village close to the keep for you to retreat harper to
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Hard
Clear
A
Those damn horsemen ALWAYS go for Harper. ALWAYS. EVEN WHEN HES TOTALLY SURROUNDED CEPT ONE SIDE AND ITS NIGHT AND THEY ALWAYS HIT TWICE.

-_- lol. I restarted this level soooo many times.

Well done.
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) Hard
(2) 4, I recruited every turn as many poachers as possible, that way it was quite easy.
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) Nothing
(6) 6
(7) A chance for the enemy leader to recruit units.
(8) Nothing
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.4.6

4. The use of poachers and the elders as a screen made it easy to take down the horsemen.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I enjoyed it, I know this scenario is the turning point in the campaign, the act that sets the course for future events, and it really pulls in the player's sympathies on the side of the outlaws.

None really.

8. I like the map of the town, and the idea of defending your village from the Queen's troops.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
This one is good as is, in my opinion.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Lucky horseman hit my leader.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Took a look, good as is.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
DoctorJ

Post by DoctorJ »

1) Peasant, 1.6.4
2) 5? Considering that i chose to play on easy, it felt just right. It would have been harder without plenty of gold.
3) crystal clear
4) good
5) keeping Harper out from under the horse's feet
6) 10
7) -
8 ) -
9) -

I did experience some weirdness that i wasn't sure if i should post as a bug: i had Harper deliver the killing blow against Tarwen. However, he got no experience from this. I have the replay if anybody wants to check it out.
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

Medium, 1.6, as well as earlier versions
3. So long as you can handle the first scenario well, you get a load of gold to mass recruit peasant hunters (/poachers) with which to trap and nail the cavalry.
Clear.
Pretty good. I especially like the small touch of having the ending dialogue contributed to by a non-essential character. Makes it feel less stilted and your soldiers less like pawns, more like a community.
Killing the Cavalier. In that daytime, his range shot does 25 damage, more against footpads, and thugs attacking a cavalryman is daft anyway. I had Harper scarper as per the instructions nayway,. though I brought him in later (see below)
6. Stick it to the man! But thee is one problem...
Give me the exp for killing the boss (cavalier), damnit! I carefully manoeuvred so that Harper could get the exp and be much closer to levelling (and thus lose his fragility, the biggest barrier to this campaign), and then he goes and dies without giving you anything. Is it not possible to change the "morph all units" code to after the killing exp is calculated, or at the beginning of the next level?
Not recently, Harper dying in the past was a worry though.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

btw is there a campaign called Liberty 2 or is it the same old Liberty campaign and scenario number 2? just wondering if i'm answering in the right place.

medium, 1.7.3

- not recruiting too many units
- keeping loyal/royal units out of trouble

- add some incentive to save or rally around the neutral peasants. when i played this a few versions ago i recall having control of the peasants and recruiting more.
- all the peasants died though some put up a good fight. there was no eulogy or recognition for their efforts so i was sad.

Harper got ambitious and didnt stay out of reach of both horsemen. dead in one charge despite 70% cover.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I tried it on easy and it was indeed easy.

Especially since the enemy stop recruiting after a few turns even though he has 100+ gold in the bank.

Attached is the replay.

I'm playing on 1.8.1 with trunk campaigns folder so possible the weirdness is caused by that.
Attachments
Liberty-Civil_Disobedience_replay.gz
(13.41 KiB) Downloaded 985 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

Medium, 1.8.0

5-6. The unfavorable terrain makes it hard to form a stable defense line, but fortunately the enemy doesn't recruit at all, so there were just these 8 or 9 units which attacked the village

Very Clear

The dialog was very clear and enjoyable, the whole scenario set the mood für the campaign, gives the outlaws a personality and helps to identify with them

To keep as many units alive as possible. Unfortunately I lost 2...

6. The scenario is fun, but the objectives and the play itself are just another "kill the enemy"

Since the houses in this scenario are actually houses, not whole villages, I would maybe tweak a bit around with the money. The money represents taxes from the villages and I left the scenario with a [censored] of money I never actually needed until the last scenario (in every scenario I was able to recall all units I had and was able to recruit enough to beat the level without having money problems even once)

No
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Normal, 1.9.3 (280 gold)

It tells you his name, It just doesn't get much clearer than that :whistle:

Great

Horseman! They chopped me down :augh:

After you kill the soldiers, It's just a boring march to the leader. I suggest that the cavalier stops being passive once his troops are dead.

Nope

See #7, He becomes non-passive when you attack him, But his keep is only 1 hex big, So he can hardly recruit at all. (I attacked him from his camp, So he never recruited :P)
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

1.6, Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
5 (on a relative scale, where Glory is 10)

Fine

It does the job, but I'm always in favor of more dialogue! We could have a few more lines highlighting the depravity of striking down innocent civilians (the peasants who get killed), both from the peasants and our protagonists.

Feeding XP to Harper. ZoCing the bad guys.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
7 minus 1 for...

Give us XP for killing the leader! It's quite a bit of XP to forego and just feels unfair.
- Reinforcements for the bad guys
- Have the bad guys burn the houses their units occupy

Nope, it's not too hard to protect young Harper here.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, Hard, no reloads

I guess it's 2... due to time restriction.

It's really simple - you have a ton of gold, so recruit a couple of keeps of hunters and shoot freely. Just have to do it quickly to not run out of time

nice as is, but as previous poster said it could be better

have enough time to reach and kill the leader

6, it's good

restarted due to a loss of Harper, another one is when I was not able to kill the leader on turn 12
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Played on Outlaw (Normal), 1.10.1 from SVN.

4, no biggie. The addition of two horsemen makes it much more fun than on the easy difficulty, yet not much harder at all.

Crystal.

It's interesting. I liked short one-liners that occur when you start first attack, and kill Tarwen. Adds a bit of flavor.

Not letting the horsemen kill Harper, Baldras, or any units with a good amount of experience.

7. Very fun to use little units in an effective way. I think some of it came from finally finding usage in Poachers, as I haven't often used them when I could in other scenarios.

Though I do like the one-liners as mentioned above, I think it'd be cool to see how merciless Asheviere's army really is by adding some dialogue as they slaughter the peasants. Just some more lines like Tarwen's "Get back, you cur!".

None. Tarwen can nearly kill an un-leveled Harper in one turn though. Fodder units helped me though.

N/A
Zlob

Post by Zlob »

--- Fugitive (difficullt), 1.10.1
--- Couldn't be clearer.
--- I liked Tarwen's (Cavalier's) insults. :D Everything was nice.
--- As with previous scenario, there were no challanges.
--- 8. Letting royal knights taste peasant's clubs and forks is what I like.
--- Why would one change anything? :D
--- No such event occured.
--- I don't know WML thus I won't be able to answer :hmm: