Scenario Review: Liberty 1 - The Raid

Feedback for the mainline campaign Liberty.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: Liberty 1 - The Raid

Post by Content Feedback »

The Raid is the starting scenario of Liberty. Tell us your opinion about it by answering these questions:

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
confirmtrash

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 1 - The Raid

Post by confirmtrash »

(1) easy
(2) Around a 4
(3) A 7 - I thought from the victory objectives that you would win if you killed the opposing leader, when you actually had to kill all orcs to win
(4) 7
(5) Getting used to the new names on units, I was confused as to what unit was what at the start of scenario, though I got the hang of them later on
(6) a 5, it was alright, though it would have been better with recruiting.
(7) I would make a small camp around the bottom of the map, and allow the user some options in recruiting.
(8) no
(9) N/A
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

First off, there needs to be a general discussion area for this, like other campaigns.

Couple things:

I prefer my heroes with traits: if them not having traits is intentional, so be it.
The teams in this campaign are nonprofessional. good_guys bad_team, etc. Name them something more story-oriented, perhaps?

A question about the first scenario: if no units have died, does the text change "We lost more men here today"?

On to general review:

Hard
4 is a good peg.
Quite clear, the dialog suggested killing just the leader, but the objectives said kill all orcs. Sort of a disparity there.
This campaign is very well done, no problems.
Well, I would have liked to dick around at the beginning picking off wolves 1 by 1, but the fleeing leader prevents that :p. Drawing out the wolves to engage them individually is pretty much the scenario here.
Well, tbh, the first time I let harper get exposed on 2 hexes once and he got 6 hitted by the wolves <.<. So yes, 1 restart.
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) Hard
(2) 5
(3) The objectives to kill all units were clear, although the information from the dialogue, killing the leader would be enough, was a bit confusing.
(4) Quite interesting
(5) To prevent the leader from fleeing to the north, I had to be more offensive, than I actually wanted to. But that is certainly the aim of this scenario.
(6) 7, a scenario without recruiting is a nice variation to other ones.
(7) Nothing.
(8) No.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.4.6

5. While stopping the leader before he reaches the village is noted, the dialogue/objective should mention killing all of the goblins. (Yes, I know this is meant to be understood.)

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, and certainly helps to set the tone for you to sympathize with the plight of the village people.

None? :P

8. I really enjoy the work with what you are given approach (no recruiting) and the fact that you must effectively split your force to take on all the goblins. Great in teaching how to manage two different battles at once, as well as using ZoC for the peasant youths. At least, you can just have them all rush the enemy leader, but it is easy to stay in the trees and trap his movement. Maybe this should be hinted to in the dialogue to help educate new players....?

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
After wiping out the first group of goblins, have another group appear to encourage a fighting retreat to the safety of the town. But I like it just the way it is, only a thought.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Took a look, pretty well-written and laid out.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
DoctorJ

Post by DoctorJ »

1] Easy & 1.6.4
2] 8
3] fair enough
4] good
5] The Orcish leader ran straight for the village and i was not able to catch up to him until the village defenders were beating on him, but fortunately they were successful.
6] 8 - always good to try something different.
7] no
8] no
9] -
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

medium, 1.7.3

- moving footpads fast enough to intercept without getting killed
- not losing more than 1 of the starting units (personal objective)

- add some cries of desperation and/or glee when a raider gets to a certain point north of the river
- add some dialogue or rallying cries from the raiders when they are getting killed to explain why they didnt race pell mell for the village. it seemed to me the game was letting me win because some raiders retreated instead of racing north.
- why doesnt Baldur have Leadership?
- why arent the units Loyal? (or maybe it just wasnt displayed, i recall from previously playing this scenario that they were Loyal).

no
songofsixpence

Post by songofsixpence »

Medium, hard. v. 1.6.5

3 on medium, 5 on hard because the computer won't always engage when you dangle units and I had several wolf riders run towards the village.

Very clear. Kill the goblins, don't let them step in the village. Not much to understand.

The dialog was very clear, not terribly interesting as it was just setting up the main story. A bunch of peasants coming back from a hunt and finding orcs riding for their village.

Keeping more than one goblin knight from heading for the village.

4-5. It's pretty basic and just introduces the characters really.

I can't think of any, it's an opening scenario, most of those aren't so interesting because you don't have any high level units to play with.

No. I was able to take out all the riders, even when 2 or more headed for the village, I just took heavier losses because I had to stretch out my units.
del_diablo

Post by del_diablo »

1.7.5 and 1.8.0 on Normal(that would be Outlaw?)

Not too hard, but hard enough. You got strong enough units to clob down the riders, but the leader always runs of.
Its basically a good way of telling you that sometimes you need to charge down everything to stand a chance.

Quite clear

It works, does not need improvements.

Not able to recruit, but again since you start with a horde of units that can move during turn 1 so i am happy regardless.
The challange is to level up the darned kid.

Can't think of anything.

Only the case where i did not start the assult on round 1, but i thought that was the point of the scenario.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

Medium, v. 1.8.0

4. The fact that You are not able to recruit makes it a bit harder, but the terrain is clearly on Your side

Very clear. Kill the goblins, don't let them step in the village.

The dialog was very clear, but not really interesting since it didn't contribute to the story itself. It set the mood for the campaign though because one learns the hardships of the villages of the area, so i would not change it

The enemy leader went straight to the village, and since he is significantly faster than die player's units, I was not able to catch up to him

6. It is fun to play with such a restricted number of units, there should be more often scenarios where You are not able to recruit. Only drawback was, that it was too short imho

Can't think of something

Yes. The first try I needed to restart because the leader didn't fight the gate guards but was walking straight through them in the village. In the second try I put one of the units in the entrance itself and the rider didn't fight again but fled instead (maybe because he was too wounded)
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Normal, 1.9.3

Clear

Good

The leader pillager went up on the eastern edge, So it was a little hard for my footpads to catch up with him.

None. It's different, But good.

Lost Baldras once because he got wounded at night real badly, And I couldn't get him away from the clutches of wolves!

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

1.6, Medium
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
6 (on a relative scale, where Glory is 10)

Could have been better; spell out exactly where the village boundaries are

Not super interesting, but it works

Getting the Goblin leader to slow down. Getting Harper some experience.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?

No

No, though Harper almost got killed thanks to a streak of bad luck.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, Hard, no reloads

Nothing special, just have to run fast and ZoC wolves carefully, avoid being hit hard

Not crystal clear, but fine... guess good as is

nice

it's good
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

The Raid is the starting scenario of Liberty. Tell us your opinion about it by answering these questions:

Played on Outlaw (Normal) on 1.10.1 from SVN.

6, see below for more detail.

Clear enough. Don't let the wolves reach the village, kill them all. Perhaps you could specify "how far in" the wolves need to be in order to lose the scenario.

It's good. It opens well, and starts us off with some at least slightly likable characters.

Alright, I'm not sure how some people manage to beat this on hard so easily. I've done this on easy before, but for some reason, the lack of one thug, and addition of one pillager in place of a wolf rider just makes it so much harder. I know how to use ZoC, but probably not to the extent that some people do. I found myself placing two units on the opposite sides of an enemy, twice. Got a few hits in on a river too. Is that good enough for a beginner?

Anyway, I completed it with one or two losses. Got some good experience too.

8. Very fun for someone like me who has trouble with this. It's fun to practice ZoC usage, which I'm pretty bad at.

None.

Nope, but I almost had a thug die which would have broken the ZoC-lock, and gotten a pillager into the village.

N/A
ShadowDancer

Post by ShadowDancer »

Medium 1.10.2

Very clear.

Very clear and interesting.

That one wolf who will rush to the village like crazy and will leave the rest of the pack fighting.

None.

I neglected the one enemy unit that rushed to the north and the guards weren't able to kill him.