South Guard 7a. Into the Depths

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Re: South Guard 7a. Into the Depths

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.14.7 on Soldier/Normal.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
8. Had to go back a few turns on more than one occasion.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Crystal.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I liked it. The confrontation between Ethiel and Mal M'Brin was good. The trolls were as you'd expect trolls to be. I was expecting more to come of the eyestalk monster at the start, it seemed like the scene was being set for more exotic monster - but in the end, it was just generic undead.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The terrain is pretty horrible, with lots of water that you need to push through, and some nasty chokepoints that slow down your advance.

Because of high movement costs, visibility was poor, and more than once I lost a valuable unit to units emerging from beyond where I could see, which was a bit of a pain.

The fight at the end, against Mal M'Brin, was a challenge. I ended up swarming his units with Elvish Fighters to keep my stronger units safe. By the time I got past the Draugs and to Mal M'Brin, my arcane heavy hitters were all heavily damaged, and taking him down was difficult.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
3. I'm not really a fan of cave scenarios at the best of times, as they take away from the day-night cycle of combat, and tend to be slow slogs across bad terrain and through chokepoints. This one was the same.

I did like having some trolls to fight on my side, though.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Making the map better. Make the chokepoints a little wider, add more fords in the water sections, and add sections where light is shining down from above that encourage more tactical positioning.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: South Guard 6a. Into the Depths

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.6, Soldier (Normal)

7, darkness, constant stream of enemies, bats...

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I like it.

None.

5, it's a nice challenge

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-

Scenario stats:
First attempt
Spoiler:
Second attempt
Spoiler:
Attachments
TSG-Into the Depths replay 20201108-131936.gz
(47.86 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
TSG-Into the Depths replay 20201108-135442.gz
(51.21 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Sandsculpture

Post by Sandsculpture »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14.15, Hardest

8, Need to beat so many lv2-3 enemies in the cave

Clear.

Clear

- bad terrain, maybe because I don't get well-trained merman
- The loyal guards of the ancient lich are so strong that even the troll leader gets quickly killed and I make some save/load there.

Maybe add a passage between the ancient lich's keep and the troll's keep, allow some undead to appear "behind" the player's main army.
icecoldsnacks

Post by icecoldsnacks »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

Soldier (Normal) on 1.14.16 (playing it on Steam)

Clear

Kind of clear, and interesting.

On my first attempt, it took me more than 2 hours (playing it on and off) and didn't have enough time (turns) to reach the last boss, so I lost the scenario. I was wondering why the trolls aren't moving (from the dialogue, they said they were hiding from the undead so I thought maybe they didn't really want to leave and just showed me where the enemies are at so I could finish them off and they profit !?!) and it turned out that I could move them after learning from few restarts of this scenario. I felt very stupid that I wasted a lot of time finding that out very late in the game. This is the 4th campaign I'm playing as of now. I've played all of the following campaigns in the highest difficulty (Challenging): A Tale of Two Brothers, An Orcish Incursion, Heir to The Throne. And this might be the most frustrating scenario I've played to date, which is why I'm writing this feedback. I mean one could say that I should have studied the game more thoroughly or something along those lines and you're probably right. Nevertheless, I had fun with the scenario, otherwise I could have just dropped it. It was also my first time controlling trolls.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun

To make it less frustrating, there should be something (maybe write it on the dialogue?) that tells the player that one can control the trolls after discovering them. The dialogue tells that they will help and I thought their help would only be in the form of telling where the enemy sources are but I didn't know I could control them.
Attachments
TSG-Into the Depths replay.gz
(52.18 KiB) Downloaded 41 times